Sea of Thieves

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Playing solo on PC. Not easy running a ship by yourself haha. But this is a ton of fun!!! So confirmed... Solo is great!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Playing solo on PC. Not easy running a ship by yourself haha. But this is a ton of fun!!! So confirmed... Solo is great!

I'll at least give it a try with Game pass then.

Making a game about pirates is an easy way to pique my interest. Making a game have an online focus is an easy way to get me to run the f*** in the opposite direction.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008

I've been doing the same.

I've found the servers very hit or miss (not in terms of actually being up, that's expected, but in terms of enjoyment).

To start, I really wish that there was at least an option for a Sloop only server. Getting sunk / pillaged by larger ships with 4 people is a little annoying at times.

Next, I understand the risk associated with playing solo but I really really wish that there was safe areas. An example for why happened earlier today. I had a couple chests and ended up getting attacked as I was going to hand them in by a sloop that I assume had just spawned at that outpost (It was at one of the spawn docks and the sails hadn't been lowered yet). I managed to hand in the 2nd chest after killing one of them (the other got attacked by a shark after fighting me), but lost the first as I couldn't kill both. Simply an unfortunate situation of being solo, not planning the fight ahead and also missing some shots. At this point there is no benefit for either side in continuing the fight, neither side has loot and there is no bonus for killing the other side at all and whoever you killed would just spawn at their ship at the island. However they decided that I wasn't going to be able to do anything at the outpost, including killing me in one of the stores.

Even if there was just an island without the actual quest people, I'd like to not be concerned about getting killed while looking at spending gold on cosmetic stuff. I ended up just taking a break after that.

I understand the fact that without people doing the voyages, the pvp people wouldn't really get loot from sinking other ships and thus there wouldn't be a benefit. But in some way I feel that there needs to be another way to incorporate the pve aspects of the game as well. An example potentially being that if you sink a ship you get a bounty or something on you from one of the npcs until you get sunk. That way at least ships are geared towards fighting other ships that have won in combat, since they would get an actual reward for fighting them, rather than focus on ships that are avoiding combat (where you are just hoping that they have loot that you can profit off of, since you also need to refill supplies after fights).

Overall I have enjoyed the game thus far, even just playing solo. However, in addition to the stuff above, there are definitely some more things that I think need updated or added still. (More customization stuff, different types of missions/voyages [rather than the same style voyages, maybe add hunts of animals/skeletons even] and party options to invite people to your crew after you have already joined a game [whether inviting a friend/specific person or someone that you meet up with in game. Unless there is a way that I don't know of for this], etc.)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'll at least give it a try with Game pass then.

Making a game about pirates is an easy way to pique my interest. Making a game have an online focus is an easy way to get me to run the **** in the opposite direction.

It's definitely fun. Feels a bit like work sometimes haha. I mean sail places, get off boat, maybe fight some dudes, find treasure, run / swim back to boat, put treasure somewhere on boat, raise anchor, unfurl sails, angle sails then sail off again. But that's what's kind of cool about it.

I have ran into a couple guys and my boat has been sunk twice. Ive also sank two boats and killed two other players. Unfortunately their boats were sank in the deep parts of the ocean so I wasn't able to loot them.

Ive gone plenty of hours now and done a quite a few "voyages" to get treasure and not run into any other online players. Also, just keep your spyglass handy and keep a lookout, its not too hard to avoid other players or run / sail away if someone starts chasing you. Just get your sail into the wind and you will fly.

I've been doing the same.

I've found the servers very hit or miss (not in terms of actually being up, that's expected, but in terms of enjoyment).

To start, I really wish that there was at least an option for a Sloop only server. Getting sunk / pillaged by larger ships with 4 people is a little annoying at times.

Next, I understand the risk associated with playing solo but I really really wish that there was safe areas. An example for why happened earlier today. I had a couple chests and ended up getting attacked as I was going to hand them in by a sloop that I assume had just spawned at that outpost (It was at one of the spawn docks and the sails hadn't been lowered yet). I managed to hand in the 2nd chest after killing one of them (the other got attacked by a shark after fighting me), but lost the first as I couldn't kill both. Simply an unfortunate situation of being solo, not planning the fight ahead and also missing some shots. At this point there is no benefit for either side in continuing the fight, neither side has loot and there is no bonus for killing the other side at all and whoever you killed would just spawn at their ship at the island. However they decided that I wasn't going to be able to do anything at the outpost, including killing me in one of the stores.

Even if there was just an island without the actual quest people, I'd like to not be concerned about getting killed while looking at spending gold on cosmetic stuff. I ended up just taking a break after that.

I understand the fact that without people doing the voyages, the pvp people wouldn't really get loot from sinking other ships and thus there wouldn't be a benefit. But in some way I feel that there needs to be another way to incorporate the pve aspects of the game as well. An example potentially being that if you sink a ship you get a bounty or something on you from one of the npcs until you get sunk. That way at least ships are geared towards fighting other ships that have won in combat, since they would get an actual reward for fighting them, rather than focus on ships that are avoiding combat (where you are just hoping that they have loot that you can profit off of, since you also need to refill supplies after fights).

Overall I have enjoyed the game thus far, even just playing solo. However, in addition to the stuff above, there are definitely some more things that I think need updated or added still. (More customization stuff, different types of missions/voyages [rather than the same style voyages, maybe add hunts of animals/skeletons even] and party options to invite people to your crew after you have already joined a game [whether inviting a friend/specific person or someone that you meet up with in game. Unless there is a way that I don't know of for this], etc.)
I agree here with most of this. It is definitely not as easy being solo. I had a ton of loot and was coming into an outpost and there was a ship there. I stayed super far back and just waited for them to sail off hoping they didn't see me. Success! They moved on and didn't come towards me. I contemplated just going to a different outpost but who knows what dangers I would run into doing that. I was already safe, out in the middle of nowhere spying on another ship.

The hardest part for me so far has been the lack of a HUD. I both hate and love this. I love it because it makes you actually pay attention to where you are going and really makes you figure out where things are and how to get there. I hate it because I have to move from steering wheel to run below deck and check the map. It would be nice if you had a handheld map or there was a map under some glass on the top deck or something. Maybe that is an upgrade to the ship somewhere? Or will be?

The funniest thing that's happened to me so far is I was out in the WIDE open and my sloop was going near full speed so I decided to go up the tower to the bucket and look around. Pretty cool feeling doing that. However I went to go back down the ladder and I fell. My sloop was going so fast that the boat went out from under me and I landed in the ocean. :laugh: I found a mermaid that teleported me back to the ship and whats awesome is my ship was still going, same speed, same direction... everything!

They really did a great job with how far away things are and knowing what their status is. Same with other ships you see far away and what their crew is doing.

Also the only real problem I personally have ran into is not getting a payout when selling a chest to the gold hoarder. I sell it and my gold doesn't update. I have to completely quit the game and reload then my gold updates to the correct amount. They seem to be VERY strict and are constantly checking your gold amount. I really think they don't want cheaters in this game. Which is a good thing. But it seems their algorithm for checking this can lead to some un-desired effects. At least a reload gets your money right.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
It's definitely fun. Feels a bit like work sometimes haha. I mean sail places, get off boat, maybe fight some dudes, find treasure, run / swim back to boat, put treasure somewhere on boat, raise anchor, unfurl sails, angle sails then sail off again. But that's what's kind of cool about it.

I have ran into a couple guys and my boat has been sunk twice. Ive also sank two boats and killed two other players. Unfortunately their boats were sank in the deep parts of the ocean so I wasn't able to loot them.

I believe any loot will float to the surface eventually actually. You can dive underwater and see if there are chests floating up before they actually get to the surface though. I believe that it is just supplies that don't necessarily float up every time for sunk player ships. I've seen the chicken cages and chests both float up following a sunk ship though (not 100% of the skulls).

Ive gone plenty of hours now and done a quite a few "voyages" to get treasure and not run into any other online players. Also, just keep your spyglass handy and keep a lookout, its not too hard to avoid other players or run / sail away if someone starts chasing you. Just get your sail into the wind and you will fly.

Ya I've found this sometimes too. I 'saw' other people in some of my times playing it, but they were in the distance and easy to avoid. But other times, I've been leaving the spawn island on my way to the first voyage location for the day and got chased by 3 different ships before I even got the chance to try and get loot. Obviously you can outrun them with proper sailing a lot of the time, especially if you can use the rocks to your advantage, but not having someone to be able to plug holes and empty water while doing the get away has been my downfall once already. Simply couldn't continue to do the repairs and navigate at the same time effectively enough.

I agree here with most of this. It is definitely not as easy being solo. I had a ton of loot and was coming into an outpost and there was a ship there. I stayed super far back and just waited for them to sail off hoping they didn't see me. Success! They moved on and didn't come towards me. I contemplated just going to a different outpost but who knows what dangers I would run into doing that. I was already safe, out in the middle of nowhere spying on another ship.

I definitely learned I needed to take it a little slower at outposts. I've noticed a couple times people just camping out on the islands by the places to sell stuff too just waiting away from their ships to shoot people and take the chests. I'm hoping that it doesn't become a common thing, because it's kind of annoying especially if/when you don't see a ship anywhere nearby because they moved it elsewhere and stayed on the island or hid it by the island somewhere. I'd rather take my chances escaping or fighting a boat than getting jumped any time I go to hand stuff in.

The hardest part for me so far has been the lack of a HUD. I both hate and love this. I love it because it makes you actually pay attention to where you are going and really makes you figure out where things are and how to get there. I hate it because I have to move from steering wheel to run below deck and check the map. It would be nice if you had a handheld map or there was a map under some glass on the top deck or something. Maybe that is an upgrade to the ship somewhere? Or will be?

You can see the map from up top still. On the sloop, walk behind the anchor and look over the railing (under the tarp/material roof). As long as your map isn't completely zoomed out from the last time you were looking at it, you can see it pretty decently without having to run downstairs every time. (Apparently you can look through the crates outside the cabin on the larger ship to do the same thing).

The funniest thing that's happened to me so far is I was out in the WIDE open and my sloop was going near full speed so I decided to go up the tower to the bucket and look around. Pretty cool feeling doing that. However I went to go back down the ladder and I fell. My sloop was going so fast that the boat went out from under me and I landed in the ocean. :laugh: I found a mermaid that teleported me back to the ship and whats awesome is my ship was still going, same speed, same direction... everything!

They really did a great job with how far away things are and knowing what their status is. Same with other ships you see far away and what their crew is doing.

Also the only real problem I personally have ran into is not getting a payout when selling a chest to the gold hoarder. I sell it and my gold doesn't update. I have to completely quit the game and reload then my gold updates to the correct amount. They seem to be VERY strict and are constantly checking your gold amount. I really think they don't want cheaters in this game. Which is a good thing. But it seems their algorithm for checking this can lead to some un-desired effects. At least a reload gets your money right.

I believe the payout issue is a result of server issues they were having actually. They ended up closing the servers off for a while so that more players couldn't sign in to try and deal with the issues. Another issue (that I ran into at the same time) was that I couldn't start another voyage "because I didn't have any voyages in my inventory" but I couldn't buy a new voyage from any of the companies because "I was full on voyages already".

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Downloaded it for Xbox and PC both last night, but then got absorbed into Rocket League. :laugh:

Side note, but my first experience with the Xbox app/Microsoft Store on PC was less than stellar...trying to figure out how to get it to recognize Game Pass and then actually install the thing without buying it was tedious.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I believe any loot will float to the surface eventually actually. You can dive underwater and see if there are chests floating up before they actually get to the surface though. I believe that it is just supplies that don't necessarily float up every time for sunk player ships. I've seen the chicken cages and chests both float up following a sunk ship though (not 100% of the skulls).
Ahh okay. So I should have waited lol. One guy survived his wreck and came aboard my ship. His face met my blunderbuss. :laugh: That reminds me of the one time I got killed. I was shooting a sloop with a cannon. Just circling them and shooting. Little did I know there were 2 guys, one snuck aboard and killed me! Sneaky pirates.

Ya I've found this sometimes too. I 'saw' other people in some of my times playing it, but they were in the distance and easy to avoid. But other times, I've been leaving the spawn island on my way to the first voyage location for the day and got chased by 3 different ships before I even got the chance to try and get loot. Obviously you can outrun them with proper sailing a lot of the time, especially if you can use the rocks to your advantage, but not having someone to be able to plug holes and empty water while doing the get away has been my downfall once already. Simply couldn't continue to do the repairs and navigate at the same time effectively enough.
Yup, Definitely could benefit from someone to plug the holes and bucket the water when in those situations. They make you want to play with other people in times like that for sure. Very gratifying escaping / winning a battle solo though.

I definitely learned I needed to take it a little slower at outposts. I've noticed a couple times people just camping out on the islands by the places to sell stuff too just waiting away from their ships to shoot people and take the chests. I'm hoping that it doesn't become a common thing, because it's kind of annoying especially if/when you don't see a ship anywhere nearby because they moved it elsewhere and stayed on the island or hid it by the island somewhere. I'd rather take my chances escaping or fighting a boat than getting jumped any time I go to hand stuff in.
I have my Xbox Live (So far I have played on PC and Xbox and I am loving the game on PC so much more but when I want to veg on the couch I played a few hours on Xbox last night) settings set up so I cannot communicate with other people and they cannot see if I am online, etc. Im like a gamer hermit lol. I wonder if that's why I haven't seen many other ships at outposts? Just that one, but they weren't there long. I agree that's going to get really annoying really fast if people start doing that. Maybe after 10 minutes of idle time within a certain proximity of an outpost a Kracken will take out their ship or something? That would be fun.

You can see the map from up top still. On the sloop, walk behind the anchor and look over the railing (under the tarp/material roof). As long as your map isn't completely zoomed out from the last time you were looking at it, you can see it pretty decently without having to run downstairs every time. (Apparently you can look through the crates outside the cabin on the larger ship to do the same thing).
Oh neat! I will have to try that thanks!! I have only ever been on a sloop. May try joining a random crew later today.

I believe the payout issue is a result of server issues they were having actually. They ended up closing the servers off for a while so that more players couldn't sign in to try and deal with the issues. Another issue (that I ran into at the same time) was that I couldn't start another voyage "because I didn't have any voyages in my inventory" but I couldn't buy a new voyage from any of the companies because "I was full on voyages already".
Ah yeah that happened to me once too! I bought a voyage, went to my ship and then... No voyages. Reloaded and had the voyage. Definitely seemed like the server issues were the problem. I am loving the game though and will stick with it. They will get it all resolved soon. At least its not game breaking stuff, at least for me it hasn't been. Its just been a reload a few times to set everything straight again.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Downloaded it for Xbox and PC both last night, but then got absorbed into Rocket League. :laugh:
DUDE! RL is my jam! (That's what the kids say these days right?)

I am a Legend level 69, giggity. I think at 70 I will be Rocketeer? Anyways, I mostly play Doubles and am currently a Gold 2. Im not the best player ever but its one of the few games I have an ego about and I will say I am damn good at it! Last time I checked I have played close to 7,000 games, my goals per game was at 1.6 and my win rate is near 60%.

Also, SoT is amazing / so much better on PC in my opinion. Doesn't hurt that I have an i7, GTX1080, 32GB of Ram and am running the game from an SSD. Oh and my monitor is 1ms response time QHD (1440p) running at 144Mhz.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
DUDE! RL is my jam! (That's what the kids say these days right?)

I am a Legend level 69, giggity. I think at 70 I will be Rocketeer? Anyways, I mostly play Doubles and am currently a Gold 2. Im not the best player ever but its one of the few games I have an ego about and I will say I am damn good at it! Last time I checked I have played close to 7,000 games, my goals per game was at 1.6 and my win rate is near 60%.

Also, SoT is amazing / so much better on PC in my opinion. Doesn't hurt that I have an i7, GTX1080, 32GB of Ram and am running the game from an SSD. Oh and my monitor is 1ms response time QHD (1440p) running at 144Mhz.

I have a (very) similar PC setup, so it'll be fun to try both. It's nice that it's cross compatible so I can play with friends who don't have Xboxes (at least in theory).

I also have a similar Rocket League setup. Currently Gold 3 (Div IV, so close!) in doubles with a friend of mine, although unlike you I won't say I'm good. I'm pretty sure my friend carries me. Rocket League is an enigma in the sense that my skill level peaked about a week after launch, and I haven't gotten any better despite playing it for years on PC and PS4 both. In fact, I might have gotten slightly worse. :laugh:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I have a (very) similar PC setup, so it'll be fun to try both. It's nice that it's cross compatible so I can play with friends who don't have Xboxes (at least in theory).

I also have a similar Rocket League setup. Currently Gold 3 (Div IV, so close!) in doubles with a friend of mine, although unlike you I won't say I'm good. I'm pretty sure my friend carries me. Rocket League is an enigma in the sense that my skill level peaked about a week after launch, and I haven't gotten any better despite playing it for years on PC and PS4 both. In fact, I might have gotten slightly worse. :laugh:
Yeah I haven't played RL as much. Its kind of my "I got 15 minutes and nothing to do" and I play a game or two. I used to play all day every day. I have it on PC, Xbox, PS4 and Switch. What can I say, I always wanted to make sure I was able to play it no matter where I was. I main it on Xbox though. Havent played much on Switch or PS4 but If you took all my platforms and combined them I would probably be close to 10k games played. I would say at least half of the games I played were Snow Day. I didn't really get into Soccar until about a year ago and that's when I finally started doing ranked. I heard they might add a Snow Day ranked playlist. So if that happens my backlog of games will get bigger.

Ill be interested in what you think of SoT between the two. It doesn't run bad on Xbox or anything. Loading times are a bit longer than on my PC and a lot of its my TV not having 144Hz refresh / 1ms response. Graphics are beautiful in 4k on the Xbox. Not too bad for QHD on the PC either ;). But the game play is almost identical. Of course it being an FPS though keyboard and mouse is just buttery smooth.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
If anyone else wants to form a crew at any point (even just a 2 person sloop crew) just shoot me a message. We could use in game voice chat or discord or whatever to communicate.

I think I only know one person that is getting it, and they aren't going to get it until at least Sunday when they get home. To be honest, not even certain how often they'll be online to play anyways. Other than that I'm not 100% if I know anyone else that is getting it, at least in the near future. If not, I've been enjoying the solo sailing as well.

Same goes for Rocket League or any other games. (Well other than in game voice chat, that is horrific quality. but the text chat isn't bad) I've hit plat in Solo/Duo/Standard at different points this season already (think I've dropped to gold 3 again in 2 of them) and unlocked plat rewards. Honestly haven't really played much recent seasons, but I still enjoy going back to it everyone once in a while (especially when a new season hits)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
If anyone else wants to form a crew at any point (even just a 2 person sloop crew) just shoot me a message. We could use in game voice chat or discord or whatever to communicate.

I think I only know one person that is getting it, and they aren't going to get it until at least Sunday when they get home. To be honest, not even certain how often they'll be online to play anyways. Other than that I'm not 100% if I know anyone else that is getting it, at least in the near future. If not, I've been enjoying the solo sailing as well.

Same goes for Rocket League or any other games. (Well other than in game voice chat, that is horrific quality. but the text chat isn't bad) I've hit plat in Solo/Duo/Standard at different points this season already (think I've dropped to gold 3 again in 2 of them) and unlocked plat rewards. Honestly haven't really played much recent seasons, but I still enjoy going back to it everyone once in a while (especially when a new season hits)
Deal. I will send you my GT. I have Discord too. Not the biggest fan of it but that's mostly when playing R6: Siege. I hate having two different chats because that's a game you have to communicate with the whole team. For SoT though it would probably work great so we could communicate during loading screens and whatnot.

Ive touched plat in RL Duo before. Never won the amount of games at plat level to earn it as a season rank :(. I think 5 is the most I have won while in plat before. The new season is good and they just released the 1989 Batmobile which is one of the coolest cars in movies ever in my opinion haha. And its one you can just buy (thank god) which is great because I hate spending money on crates.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
I'm not 100% sure, but I likely won't be on tonight much. My sleep schedule is pretty off right now (well just in relation to what most people like it as, I kind of like it myself to be honest), so I'm not sure how much longer I'll be up for. I've just been working on some stuff for quite a few hours already with a couple breaks here and there so I don't go insane looking at it. I planned to have it done a couple hours ago as it is, and still have a bit more to do.

If it's like normal though, I might only sleep for a couple hours in which case I guess I'd be back on in time for anyone that wants to play tonight before I go back to work on this stuff :laugh:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You can get an Xbox Game Pass 2 week trial for free and try it out.

Two weeks is probably more than enough time to see everything the game has to offer.

The reviews saying it's basically 10% of a full game aren't much of an exaggeration.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I already used my game pass a while back :/

Is it the full game? Is the game developper looking to add DLCs? (Paid or not?) Etc?

there will be more content added down the line. some will be microtransactions but nothing affects gameplay

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I like it but certainly wouldn't pay the retail price for it. It's a fun game to chill out playing. I'm holding on to the GamePass for State of Decay 2 in May, otherwise I'm not sure how long I'd continue playing for.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I already used my game pass a while back :/

Is it the full game? Is the game developper looking to add DLCs? (Paid or not?) Etc?

Definitely not a full game.

It has less depth than release No Man's Sky, IMO.

There's four different activities you can do. You hand in the objectives of them for gold. You can only buy cosmetic items with gold.

The only progression system is a reputation system that slowly upgrades the difficulty and reward for said four activities.

It's basically a sandbox pirate game with no actual content that's fun to screw around on with friends.

Even if you're the type of person who doesn't care about rewards and doesn't mind doing the same thing over and over, I wouldn't recommend it without using the Game Pass free trial.

Reactions: Mrb1p

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Definitely not a full game.

It has less depth than release No Man's Sky, IMO.

There's four different activities you can do. You hand in the objectives of them for gold. You can only buy cosmetic items with gold.

The only progression system is a reputation system that slowly upgrades the difficulty and reward for said four activities.

It's basically a sandbox pirate game with no actual content that's fun to screw around on with friends.

Even if you're the type of person who doesn't care about rewards and doesn't mind doing the same thing over and over, I wouldn't recommend it without using the Game Pass free trial.
That's what I was afraid of and a huge reason why I won't be shelling out $60 for this game yet.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

That's extremely lame. How is it even a pirate ship game if you can't upgrade your ship, its capacity, its sails, its cannons and so on? Those have pretty much been basic features in every pirate ship game that I've ever played.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's pretty fun, good foundation but it's so shallow it's insane. What the hell were they doing for 4 years? After my free 2 weeks, that'll probably be enough for us. Come back at a later time once they add a shit load of stuff. A potential huge bust for MS, and they were banking on this being huge..

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You can get an Xbox Game Pass 2 week trial for free and try it out.

Two weeks is probably more than enough time to see everything the game has to offer.

The reviews saying it's basically 10% of a full game aren't much of an exaggeration.
*some* reviews are saying that. And what they don't realize is in a world of Rocket League, Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege... etc. Where games are driven by experience even with the small amount of actual story there is absolutely a place for SoT in the gaming world. Lets break these down:

Rocket League: It's literally the exact same game every time you play a match, but they do have different modes. Everything you play for is purely cosmetic.
Overwatch: Again - literally every game is exactly the same thing over and over just on a different map. Also again - everything you play for is purely cosmetic.
Rainbow Six: Siege: Its basically a more realistic Overwatch but came out first so I should say Overwatch is a more cartoon R6:S. However with how Ubi worked their magic you actually play (or pay) to unlock new characters. But you are at no disadvantage by having less characters unlocked. After that - its all cosmetic.
Sea of Thieves: So here we are, another online game where your goal is to amass coin and buy things in-game that are purely cosmetic. But its at least original enough to where you are not just straight up Vs. other people. It has a slight MMO feel to it as you see other pirates sailing around collecting skulls, chests and chickens to sell them for coin. Do you dare go interact with them? Will they be friendly? Or just avoid them. The gameplay is really unique.

What all these games have in common though is that there isn't much to the gameplay. All of them are simple but they are all driven by community and in-game (sometimes real) currency to upgrade your looks. I remember when R6:S first came out the reviewers hated it. Its ratings are in the low 70's on Metacritic however the game is still relevant and has been gaining in popularity for years. Its going strong and is in the beginning of its year 3 season.

I personally think for games like this reviewers rush to get their reviews in. Yeah, if you start playing SoT and hate it, your opinion probably wont change. If you are intrigued by it I think you need to spend time with it. Not just a couple days so you can get your review to the masses. Right now it does seem a little thin in content. But that's another thing all these games have in common when they first came out. Heck in RL there was a time you could change the paint, hat, wheels and antenna now you have all kind of things you can customize like wheel-tail, engine sound, goal explosion, gamertag plate.

I don't think SoT was made as a game to be what it is on launch day and for that, its going to mess up the reviews. It's a game where if someone is interested, they NEED to play it and not rely on someone else's word. The type of friends you have, if you will play solo, how much time you are willing to invest in it or if you think you will enjoy it now and come back later to see how its progressed will all be factors. But I definitely put it in this new category of games that are just fun to play with cosmetic content being the big driver of the gameplay.

So that's my review :) And I am loving the game. I have so many funny / fun stories from just playing for a few days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad