Sea Dogs get first pick again

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Starscream said:
sea dogs won the coin toss and will have the first pick in midget draft again this year. does anyone know who the top propects are for this draft

http://www.saintjohnseadogs.com/

Yann Sauve, big defenceman with rocket shot from Chateauguay. Think Luc Bourdon.
Patrice Cormier, power forward from Shediac, N.B., plays junior A in Moncton.
Philippe Cornet, offensive winger, average size, great smarts. From Amos.
Chris Boyle, A Newfoundlander playing for the Notre Dame Hounds. Sniper with a pro shot at the age of 15. He's a forward.

I would think those would be the only four players the Sea Dogs would be considering, although I would think they'd be leaning toward either Sauve or Cormier. For what it's worth, they took d-man Alex Grant with their first pick last year and might be looking to get an impact player at the forward position.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Scribe said:
Yann Sauve, big defenceman with rocket shot from Chateauguay. Think Luc Bourdon.
Patrice Cormier, power forward from Shediac, N.B., plays junior A in Moncton.
Philippe Cornet, offensive winger, average size, great smarts. From Amos.
Chris Boyle, A Newfoundlander playing for the Notre Dame Hounds. Sniper with a pro shot at the age of 15. He's a forward.

I would think those would be the only four players the Sea Dogs would be considering, although I would think they'd be leaning toward either Sauve or Cormier. For what it's worth, they took d-man Alex Grant with their first pick last year and might be looking to get an impact player at the forward position.

I read on TSN they will be selecting Luke Adam #1 overall.

Marco Corleone

Sep 6, 2004
HabLover said:
I read on TSN they will be selecting Luke Adam #1 overall.

Thats just a reporter not doing any research.

Adam will not go #1, maybe #5.

With SJ having the #1 pick, it could go like this:

SJ: Patrice Cormier
Riki: Yann Sauve
Victo: Phillipe Cornet
PEI: Chris DOYLE who is from PEI

Then maybe Luke Adam.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Rocketfan said:

Oops. My bad. Good catch. Shouldn't type so fast, I knew his last name was Doyle, but I really thought he was from Nfld. Thanks for correcting that. Perhaps I was confusing him with Adam.

X-SHARKIE

Rocketfan said:

Then maybe Luke Adam.

How is Cormier? I haven't seen him yet. Yan Sauve was amazing at the U-17's though, even with Grant I wonder if they'll seriously consider him. Sauve looks like 1st overall material at this early stage.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
X-SHARKIE said:
How is Cormier? I haven't seen him yet. Yan Sauve was amazing at the U-17's though, even with Grant I wonder if they'll seriously consider him. Sauve looks like 1st overall material at this early stage.

Cormier is just as good as Sauve for taking over a game...think Cam Neely. Cormier will fight, hit hard, play aggressive and scum it out in corners, he is an amazing playmaker with awsome vision and passing ability, he is a deadly scorer, he goes to the net, has great stickhandling ability and is super strong on the puck, uses his size well and takes over a game when he plays. He is a franchise player who has the ability to be #1 overall in the 2008 NHL draft as well. Everytime he is on the ice you take notice of his skill and he will make you say wow when you watch him.

the draft will play out like this:

Saint John - Patrice Cormier (he is from New Brunswick as well, so local phenome)
Rimouski - Yann Sauve (this is the guy they wanted anyway)
Victoriaville - Phillippe Cornet (a real gem in the making, leads AAA in scoring)
PEI - Chris Doyle (He is a deadly scorer, amazing offensive player and is from PEI)

Last edited:

Marco Corleone

Sep 6, 2004
scoutman1 said:
Cormier is just as good as Sauve for taking over a game...think Cam Neely. Cormier will fight, hit hard, play aggressive and scum it out in corners, he is an amazing playmaker with awsome vision and passing ability, he is a deadly scorer, he goes to the net, has great stickhandling ability and is super strong on the puck, uses his size well and takes over a game when he plays. He is a franchise player who has the ability to be #1 overall in the 2008 NHL draft as well. Everytime he is on the ice you take notice of his skill and he will make you say wow when you watch him.

the draft will play out like this:

Saint John - Patrice Cormier (he is from New Brunswick as well, so local phenome)
Rimouski - Yann Sauve (this is the guy they wanted anyway)
Victoriaville - Phillippe Cornet (a real gem in the making, leads AAA in scoring)
PEI - Chris Doyle (He is a deadly scorer, amazing offensive player and is from PEI)

As my post indicated above, I see the draft the exact same way.
Really looking forward to seeing Doyle here with PEI next season,(if it does pan out that way), he has a bullet of a shot and as you said, plenty of skill.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
So what, there's a "lottery" between only the bottom two teams? Is it a coin-flip (50/50) or is it weighted to the last-place team?

On points, the Fog Devils pick 7th. I know that going into this season, I really thought they'd struggle and finish worse than the Sea Dogs. Now 7th to last isn't exactly great, but not bad for an expansion team (in the playoffs).

None of the names mean anything to me, but who would be a good pick at #7 for St. John's (and why)?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
sveiglar said:
So what, there's a "lottery" between only the bottom two teams? Is it a coin-flip (50/50) or is it weighted to the last-place team?

On points, the Fog Devils pick 7th. I know that going into this season, I really thought they'd struggle and finish worse than the Sea Dogs. Now 7th to last isn't exactly great, but not bad for an expansion team (in the playoffs).

None of the names mean anything to me, but who would be a good pick at #7 for St. John's (and why)?

Some names to look to at around 7th would be:
they would love Luke Adam (local player...but he will be gone around 5th or 6th)

Maxime Sauve (a very talented playmaker...kind of small but Daneil Briere Like)
Kevin Poulin or Antoine Tardif - (two of the top goalies in Canada for their age)
Alexander Neron (one of the best offensive d-men)
Kelsey Tessier (amazing offensive talent, kind of weak but ultra skilled)
Samuel Morneau (offesivly skilled and tough)

also Evan Mosher and Mitch Flynn are both from Newfoundland and they are two exceptional players for the draft...Mosher having #1 goalie ability and Flynn being a fast, physical d-man with great skill. They could trade down to get Flynn or take Mosher with this pick as well...Mosher is right up there with Poulin and Tardif for goalies in this draft.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Rocketfan said:

Then maybe Luke Adam.

Thats the way I see it. Bathurst picks 6th and will probably take 1 of the 2 goaltenders and then St. John's will take Adam 7th overall.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
sveiglar said:

Luke Adam if he is still out there...if not maybe 1 of the 2 goaltenders or Samuel Morneau.

They have a lot to choose from at #7. There are the 2 goaltenders, at least 1 should be left. They have 2-3 forwards and they also have 2-3 good dmen in that range.

St. John's should get a good player.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
LaLaLaprise said:
Luke Adam if he is still out there...if not maybe 1 of the 2 goaltenders or Samuel Morneau.

They have a lot to choose from at #7. There are the 2 goaltenders, at least 1 should be left. They have 2-3 forwards and they also have 2-3 good dmen in that range.

St. John's should get a good player.

I'll have to do some research on this Adam kid.

If their import pick works out better for them this year (Bergfors is obviously fabulous, but not for St. John's), I hope to see continued improvement next season.

Thanks guys.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
sveiglar said:
I'll have to do some research on this Adam kid.

If their import pick works out better for them this year (Bergfors is obviously fabulous, but not for St. John's), I hope to see continued improvement next season.

Thanks guys.

Adam played for the St. John's Leafs all year. They are a fun team to watch, about 10 guys with QMJHL upside...they always have a good team and its fun hockey to watch.

Sundh may be back as a 20 year old euro...if he is he will be a near 100 point player for you guys. Plus your euro pick this summer will be around 20th overall...youll get an impact player at that spot if you do your homework.

My main question is, is Ejov ready to handle the load of being as #1 goalie?

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
LaLaLaprise said:
Thats the way I see it. Bathurst picks 6th and will probably take 1 of the 2 goaltenders and then St. John's will take Adam 7th overall.
This draft is pretty strong right up until the middle of the first round isn't Lala.Where will your moose be picking and who are the candidates?If the Rocket do get Doyle I think we'll be pretty happy with that.

I thought you would be happier to see the Nics loose out on the lottery(I was expecting dancing banannas ;) )but maybe it doesn't make a difference with the quality of the first 2 prospects.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pei fan said:
This draft is pretty strong right up until the middle of the first round isn't Lala.Where will your moose be picking and who are the candidates?If the Rocket do get Doyle I think we'll be pretty happy with that.

I thought you would be happier to see the Nics loose out on the lottery(I was expecting dancing banannas ;) )but maybe it doesn't make a difference with the quality of the first 2 prospects.

This draft is pretty deep up until around 20th but there are still some very good players that will be taken after 20th.

I just feel from pick #7 to about pick #15 there really isnt a drop off in talent.

Mooseheads pick 8th. They may take the yank, Mike Cichy. Heard he lost his NCAA for indorsing rollerhockey gear. He was going to be on the U17 team as a 15 year old but he played for the Boston Jr. Bruins this past season. Mike Peca type but more offensive.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:
Adam played for the St. John's Leafs all year. They are a fun team to watch, about 10 guys with QMJHL upside...they always have a good team and its fun hockey to watch.

Sundh may be back as a 20 year old euro...if he is he will be a near 100 point player for you guys. Plus your euro pick this summer will be around 20th overall...youll get an impact player at that spot if you do your homework.

My main question is, is Ejov ready to handle the load of being as #1 goalie?

good question about ejov. i think the fog devils might look for another overage goalie like they had this year with verge. someone to share the time with ejov.

love to see them get adam with the 7th overall pick. i believe the fog devils also own the 16th overall pick from a trade they made at last summer's draft when they moved down from 2nd to 4th to take allard.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
I don't think Bathurst takes a goalie. Gougeon will step up, he's been tearing up AAA

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Frankie said:
good question about ejov. i think the fog devils might look for another overage goalie like they had this year with verge. someone to share the time with ejov.

love to see them get adam with the 7th overall pick. i believe the fog devils also own the 16th overall pick from a trade they made at last summer's draft when they moved down from 2nd to 4th to take allard.

Oh yeah, forgot about that trade. Two decent picks.. hope they cash in.

Transported Upstater

Rimouski = pwned.

But if they wanted Sauve anyways, it's not a big deal for them...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
insider said:
I don't think Bathurst takes a goalie. Gougeon will step up, he's been tearing up AAA

Maybe...but even so Gougeon is far from a sure thing and if they draft Poulin or Tardif they would be back in AAA anyway.

By the time Gougeon is 19, one of those two would be 17...so its still doable.

Transported Upstater

I guess I just find it funny that Rimouski basically gave up at the trade dealine, and then doesn't win the draft lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad