Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Connor Carrick signs with the Kraken (1 year, $800k)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Makes some sense for Seattle. They have a lot of good defensemen but only one NHL-caliber RH guy (maybe two, depending on how you evaluate Cale Fleury). Carrick, though on the fringe-ier side of that NHL vs. AAAA barrier, can eat some bottom-pair minutes if they really need more strong-siders.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
At first I was confused, but makes sense being a two way deal. Seattle should still be looking at moving a couple of their defencemen or losing them to waivers. Having a guy like Carrick with some NHL experience likely makes them more comfortable with that

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Makes some sense for Seattle. They have a lot of good defensemen but only one NHL-caliber RH guy (maybe two, depending on how you evaluate Cale Fleury). Carrick, though on the fringe-ier side of that NHL vs. AAAA barrier, can eat some bottom-pair minutes if they really need more strong-siders.

They have Borgen to play bottom pair RD if they don't put a lefty there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Surprised Carrick would sign there given the redwood forest they've assembled in Seattle, though he's probably in tough to earn a full time NHL job throughout the league at this stage of his career.

Reactions: uncleben

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Both deals are solid. I think Seattle makes the playoffs, but they have a much more solid defensive system than offensive.

But other than that, I think Appleton and Geekie carry the team offensively. Basically both the Marchessault and Karlsson's of the Kraken.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Carrick is okay for a 6th/7th D man on a somewhat weaker squad.. Actually by the time he got back in the lineup on NJD roster last season he was actually looking pretty good all things considered. It was clear though, he was not in the picture for Ruff (for whatever reasons), which pretty much ended his chances with NJ. I felt he maybe could have had a more opportunities last season, but Ruff didn't go to him until late in the season. Not faulting Ruff, just stating the facts.

I wasn't so low on him as some other NJD posters, but I don't see his potential being much better than a 6th.. but who knows. One thing I can say is from all the interviews, off-ice media, he trains hard, he's good with his nutrition, competes hard, and has a strong willpower/character work-ethic.

In a way, I will kind of miss him.

Last edited:

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Best case scenario, he's a decent #6.

Worst case scenario, you get some decently produced youtube videos?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
pk. What will happen with Vince Dunn then?? Who are the Krakens D corp now?
Some say the D is Krakens strength. I doubt that. I think the forward depth is the strength. They are gonna go asphaltpress om theopposition.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Carrick has to be one of the easiest guys to cheer for. One of the best interviews in the league.

Hope it works out for him in Seattle. Feels like every stop he's made he's made a strong impression at points and looked to solidify his spot before falling out for one reason or another (injury, poor play, other).

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Carrick has to be one of the easiest guys to cheer for. One of the best interviews in the league.

Hope it works out for him in Seattle. Feels like every stop he's made he's made a strong impression at points and looked to solidify his spot before falling out for one reason or another (injury, poor play, other).

He'll be a great analyst whenever he chooses to hang up the skates.

I have a soft spot for Carrick too. But unfortunately, his talent level just can't put him above a 7/D/AAAAer level. I think he's a good guy to have around as your press box extra. He's a good teammate, can jump in the lineup when needed, and probably won't be claimed on waivers if you need to send him down to the AHL.

Borgen and the Fleurys are probably better bets to get regular NHL minutes though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad