Confirmed with Link: Sdao signs with Sens

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Murrays friggin love this kid. They wanted him to sign this summer and I believe if he did, he would have played in the NHL by now. If he adjusts well he still might, although at this point I doubt it.

That is high praise indeed...I have only seen him at the development camps and I like his size and mean streak but I think he has a ways to go before he will play in the NHL.

Agree with Sens83 that he will most likely be a project like Gryba...

I really am enjoying the idea of Ottawa being able to actually have a fairly tough and physical D...mix in our superstar and some others that can bring the points and I think the goalie and D situation and getting primed to be Cup contenders.

source

Jul 13, 2008
With all of these defencemen signing with us however, this tells us a lot about Murray's confidence in Wiercioch and Gryba going forward.

Maybe someone wants to do a depth chart analysis of our defensive ranks for 2013-2014.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
With all of these defencemen signing with us however, this tells us a lot about Murray's confidence in Wiercioch and Gryba going forward.

Maybe someone wants to do a depth chart analysis of our defensive ranks for 2013-2014.

So far

Left side
Methot
Cowen
Phillips
Wiercioch*
Borowiecki
Claesson
Sdao
Eckford
Blood

Right side
Karlsson
Gryba
Wiercioch*
Ceci
Wideman
Rutkowski

*put Wier on both because he's played both and he'll probably play the right side the majority of the time next year but is a natural LD unless Phillips switches to RD. Benoit, Lundin are both UFA and I expect them to be gone. Benoit might stay if he accepts a little less money than he'd get on the open market. I expect him to go the Carkner route.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

So far

Left side
Methot
Cowen
Phillips
Wiercioch*
Borowiecki
Claesson
Sdao
Blood

Right side
Karlsson
Gryba
Wiercioch*
Ceci
Wideman
Rutkowski

*put Wier on both because he's played both and he'll probably play the right side the majority of the time next year but is a natural LD unless Phillips switches to RD. Benoit, Lundin are both UFA and I expect them to be gone. Benoit might stay if he accepts a little less money than he'd get on the open market. I expect him to go the Carkner route.

Wiercioch hasn't any RD. At least not in Ottawa. Maybe in Bingo, but even then I think he was paired with Benoit most of the time.

When Boro was in the lineup, Phillips was the one who switched to RD.

That being said, maybe next year they switch Wier before Phillips.

I'd like to see one of Methot or Phillips traded, but that's not likely to happen so:

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Benoit

Borowiecki
Ceci
Sdao
Claesson
Wideman
Rutkowski
Blood

is Boro eligible for waivers? If yes that's a problem

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wiercioch hasn't any RD. At least not in Ottawa. Maybe in Bingo, but even then I think he was paired with Benoit most of the time.

I'd like to see one of Methot or Phillips traded, but that's not likely to happen so:

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Benoit

Borowiecki
Ceci
Sdao
Claesson
Wideman
Rutkowski
Blood

What in the ...

Looks at poster's name : ah ok

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Benoit

Borowiecki
Ceci
Sdao
Claesson
Wideman
Rutkowski
Blood

i feel that boro will be eligible for waivers next season, though i'm not sure.
i'd rather not trade methot, as he has been rock solid, but i know you're not a huge fan of him. i think he's something we need on our defense as phillips declines. i'd also like to see methot continue to be paired with karlsson, so we can have cowen dominate a pairing himself. if cowen can become a force, rather than a complimentary player to karlsson, imagine having one of them on the ice for almost the entire game.

sorry to kind of turn this into a line-up thread.

WhiteLight*

OK I guess I should clarify, I don't want to trade Methot. I'd rather move Phillips and roll with Cowen, Methot and Wiercioch on the left. But as we all know, Phillips won't be moved. And I prefer both Cowen and Wiercioch to Methot. So...

i feel that boro will be eligible for waivers next season, though i'm not sure.
i'd rather not trade methot, as he has been rock solid, but i know you're not a huge fan of him. i think he's something we need on our defense as phillips declines. i'd also like to see methot continue to be paired with karlsson, so we can have cowen dominate a pairing himself. if cowen can become a force, rather than a complimentary player to karlsson, imagine having one of them on the ice for almost the entire game.

sorry to kind of turn this into a line-up thread.

Methot - Karlsson wasn't that good. It's acceptable, but still, Methot looks out of place on the top pair and should be on the 2nd pair.

Cowen could easily be a step ahead of Methot (hard to say with this lost season). He'd help Karlsson on the offensive end much more than Methot and have similar or better defensive impact. Perfect pairing.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

Methot - Karlsson wasn't that good. It's acceptable, but still, Methot looks out of place on the top pair and should be on the 2nd pair.

Cowen could easily be a step ahead of Methot (hard to say with this lost season). He'd help Karlsson on the offensive end much more than Methot and have similar or better defensive impact. Perfect pairing.

could you explain to me why you thought the methot-karlsson pairing wasn't that good? i thought it looked great, but i'm willing to hear you out. all i've read from you so far regarding methot is you don't think he's that good. most people think he's playing great, so i want to know what you see differently

cowen being ahead of methot is exactly why we shouldn't play him with karlsson. cowen is still young and still has some things to put together. he has the potential to be a game changer in himself. let methot play the complimentary roll next to karlsson and let cowen develop into a dominant two way force. i feel that if we play cowen with karlsson, he won't learn how to dominate as much because all he has to do is get the puck to karlsson, cover for karlsson, clear the crease for karlsson. let him grow into a player that can move the puck very effectively, skate the puck out of danger, make plays in the offensive zone, and take some risks offensively. he has the tools.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
So i watched this kid closely every time he stepped on the ice. I will say this, he's confident, physical, and skates well. One thing that stood out, an Adirondack center got thrown out of a faceoff and was chirping when he lined up on the circle, Sdao gave him a nice little slash and said something to him. I was impressed that the kid jumps in day 1 and has the balls to mess it up. I like it.

I'd like to see him get some more shifts tonight. He looked pretty solid for us last night.

WhiteLight*

could you explain to me why you thought the methot-karlsson pairing wasn't that good? i thought it looked great, but i'm willing to hear you out. all i've read from you so far regarding methot is you don't think he's that good. most people think he's playing great, so i want to know what you see differently

It was just a 14 games sample size. They started off well but then trailed off. Didn't see the chemistry. Maybe if they played together the whole season I'd be more impressed.

Karlsson individually was just awesome. But in the end there before he got hurt, that pairing was giving up a lot of goals.

They were OK, but I want a dominating top pair, not an OK one.

cowen being ahead of methot is exactly why we shouldn't play him with karlsson. cowen is still young and still has some things to put together. he has the potential to be a game changer in himself. let methot play the complimentary roll next to karlsson and let cowen develop into a dominant two way force. i feel that if we play cowen with karlsson, he won't learn how to dominate as much because all he has to do is get the puck to karlsson, cover for karlsson, clear the crease for karlsson. let him grow into a player that can move the puck very effectively, skate the puck out of danger, make plays in the offensive zone, and take some risks offensively. he has the tools.

I guess, but I would just love to see Cowen - Karlsson out there together dominating. Makes me salivate.. Don't care about the other pairs lol ;)

Also depends who is the 2nd RD is... but I agree.

It also begs the question: Who is the shutdown pair? Karlsson or Cowen? But maybe this way the coaching doesn't have to worry about matchups.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'm excited to see how this guy will develop. He sounds like he has Sheldon Souray type tools (big shot, ideal size, physical attitude) who has always seemed to me as less than the sum of his parts.

It's amazing being able to sign these guys and have confidence that they will be coached properly. If there is something to be made from this player, the sens are the team to help him bring it out.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I saw Sdao at a few prospect camps & he was huge, a decent skater & not only played well defensively I thought he had some good offensive skills to his game as well. He was very involved in a lot of drills, moved guys out from in front of the net & had a very heavy shot from the point. I thought he had a very good prospect camp again this yr.

I liked Greening when I seen him at his first prospect camp & Silfverberg at his first camp. There are just some guys at these camps who just stand out over others very various reasons like Lehner, Boroweicki, Karlsson, Zibanejad, Greening & Silfverberg all had good first camps. Sdao stood out for me because of his size so I watched him & to me he looks like that big nasty defensive defenceman with a booming shot who stands up for his teammates & plays a safe defensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad