scwarz or montoya or dubnyk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
well I havent saw dubnyk yet.. so I will excluse him from the option u gave us :)

personnally, from what I saw at the WJC, I would pick Schwarz

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
ehhh i think this question is just way too hard to really answer...everything is complete speculation and personal opinion at this point. all three are great talents and could be starters in the NHL...all three are different.

schwarez is supposed to have some great skills...dubnyk is big and quick to go along with it (but not matter how quick you are, if you're that big you're gonna have a big five hole...) montoya has the skills and is a clutch performer...

since i'm a rangers fan i obviously hope montoya turns out to be the best...but i just think it's hard to compare these guys cuz one guy might be perceived to be more skilled and people will pick him cuz of that...but it could be another guy who actually ends up in the NHL cuz of whatever reason.

that all being said...again i want to favor montoya cuz he's a rangers prospects, i'll be honest with my bias. he seems to have the right head and attitude for succeeding as a NHL goaltender and it's not like he has no skills to go along with that either, he's talented as well.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Testify said:
well I havent saw dubnyk yet.. so I will excluse him from the option u gave us :)

personnally, from what I saw at the WJC, I would pick Schwarz

My vote goes the same way... Schwarz is going to be one heck of a keeper (as will Montoya)

As far as I've heard, Dubnyk is a bit behind these 2 in terms of top end talent, But considering the kid is 6-5 and 2 of his biggest qualities are for being Quick and Agile, he just may become a gamer yet... Definately the dark horse of last year's first round.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Levitate said:
ehhh i think this question is just way too hard to really answer...everything is complete speculation and personal opinion at this point. all three are great talents and could be starters in the NHL...all three are different.

schwarez is supposed to have some great skills...dubnyk is big and quick to go along with it (but not matter how quick you are, if you're that big you're gonna have a big five hole...) montoya has the skills and is a clutch performer...

since i'm a rangers fan i obviously hope montoya turns out to be the best...but i just think it's hard to compare these guys cuz one guy might be perceived to be more skilled and people will pick him cuz of that...but it could be another guy who actually ends up in the NHL cuz of whatever reason.

that all being said...again i want to favor montoya cuz he's a rangers prospects, i'll be honest with my bias. he seems to have the right head and attitude for succeeding as a NHL goaltender and it's not like he has no skills to go along with that either, he's talented as well.

So what's wrong with a little speculation? If speculation was forbidden, then these message boards would be empty. I love taking a prospects abilities and watching them play, then factoring in the team that drafts them, to come up with how that player may impact that team in the near future. I love it!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I know Dubnyk isn't gonna get a lot of love here, but I think he could surprise many. He has a good glove, can cover the entire bottom of the net in his butterfly, has quick feet, and seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

In his pre draft interview, one of the things that sold Lowe on him was that he brought a chart he made of all the players in the WHL and their passing/shooting preferences. That shows a lot of maturity for such a young kid.

I don't see Loungo in him but a Sean Burke is a possibilty. And that would be fine by me.

FlyersProspect2

Jun 14, 2004
Chicopee, Ma
I've never seen any of them play so I'm going on how they were rated by people. Say that, I'll say 1.Montoya 2.Schwarz 3.Dubnyk. All three teams that have these guys rights have other goalie prospects that could probably start so it should be interesting once all of these guys are ready.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
It will be very interesting to see Schwarz and Dubnyk head to head in the WHL this year.... (and perhaps the WJC's)

Seems to me that Montoya and Schwarz are both better than Dubnyk NOW, but the Oilers obviously see some high-end potential in Dubnyk to label him the top goalie in the draft, according to their list.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I am going to go with Montoya on a slight edge over Schwarz. Why? Well, I'm basically giving the edge based on WJC performances, particularly in the gold medal game where Montoya was an absolute wall. Schwarz was very good for the Czechs, but he wasn't as good. Both are sensational goaltenders, but I like Montoya a *teensy* bit more.

Dubnyk doesn't belong being compared to these two right now. I would bet you money that Schwarz blows Dubnyk out of the water next year in the 'Dub. What I have seen of Dubnyk has not impressed me at all. I personally do not think he deserved to be even picked in the first round, nevermind in the top 15.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think Montoya is riding the Cuban hype machine right now. He's a great goalie who had a great WJC performance but I don't think he was the best goalie at the WJC's or the best in the draft. I think Schwarz was and is better. I wasn't a huge fan of the Rangers taking Montoya so early.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
AJ1982 said:
I think Montoya is riding the Cuban hype machine right now. He's a great goalie who had a great WJC performance but I don't think he was the best goalie at the WJC's or the best in the draft. I think Schwarz was and is better. I wasn't a huge fan of the Rangers taking Montoya so early.

I wasn't too fond of the Yotes picking Wheeler that early :joker:

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
Jay Thompson said:
I am going to go with Montoya on a slight edge over Schwarz. Why? Well, I'm basically giving the edge based on WJC performances, particularly in the gold medal game where Montoya was an absolute wall. Schwarz was very good for the Czechs, but he wasn't as good. Both are sensational goaltenders, but I like Montoya a *teensy* bit more.

Dubnyk doesn't belong being compared to these two right now. I would bet you money that Schwarz blows Dubnyk out of the water next year in the 'Dub. What I have seen of Dubnyk has not impressed me at all. I personally do not think he deserved to be even picked in the first round, nevermind in the top 15.

Jay I totally disagree with you on the that Dubnyk will challenge Deslauriers as the starting goalie for Edmonton in years to come. I do say that Dubnyk is the least NHL ready goalie out of the 3 mentioned but he is still comparible to Schwarz and Montoya.

Schwarz is the best NHL ready goalie right now as Montoya is #2 but Dubnyk will be a starter in the NHL with Edmonton or on another team.

It has been noted that Edmonton had Dubnyk rated higher in the draft than Montoya and Schwarz.

I do say this though Edmonton has one of the best goalie tandems in the future with Deslauriers and Dubnyk.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
So what's wrong with a little speculation? If speculation was forbidden, then these message boards would be empty. I love taking a prospects abilities and watching them play, then factoring in the team that drafts them, to come up with how that player may impact that team in the near future. I love it!

i'm not saying "this is stupid and don't do it" i'm just saying i think it's incredibly difficult to really come up with anything that's more than strictly personal opinion and bias, cuz there's no great easy way to compare these guys...especially dubnyk to montoya and schwarez...at least al and marek played in the same tournament so you can kinda compare that.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
jcoldwell said:
Jay I totally disagree with you on the that Dubnyk will challenge Deslauriers as the starting goalie for Edmonton in years to come. I do say that Dubnyk is the least NHL ready goalie out of the 3 mentioned but he is still comparible to Schwarz and Montoya.

Schwarz is the best NHL ready goalie right now as Montoya is #2 but Dubnyk will be a starter in the NHL with Edmonton or on another team.

It has been noted that Edmonton had Dubnyk rated higher in the draft than Montoya and Schwarz.

I do say this though Edmonton has one of the best goalie tandems in the future with Deslauriers and Dubnyk.

Edmonton was virtually the only people that felt this way. I personally have seen Dubnyk live several times and on TV plenty, and Montoya and Schwarz both a couple times each on TV, and there truely is no comparison. Dubnyk is a project, but right now there's almost no contest. In the future? Nobody can tell for sure, but Montoya and Schwarz are currently ahead of Dubnyk, and not many people I don't think that legitimatly argue the point the other way. Montoya and Schwarz were both good enough to represent their countries on the international stage at least years' WJC tournament, whereas Dubnyk even in the top 3 for Canada.

I have to ask you - have you seen Dubnyk play? I only ask this because I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind putting Dubnyk over both of these kids. I had Montoya and Schwarz in the top 5 of the draft, and Dubnyk in the early second round. I talked to a scout in #hfchat after the draft, and he felt short of the Wheeler pick at #5, the Dubnyk pick was the biggest shocker in the draft. The Oilers might feel that his size makes him better later, but for right now and overall talent, Dubnyk lags behind the other two potential franchise-guys significantly.

shoyen

Feb 11, 2003
St. Albert, Alberta
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
Montoya and Schwarz were both good enough to represent their countries on the international stage at least years' WJC tournament, whereas Dubnyk even in the top 3 for Canada.

I respect your opinion on the 3 goaltenders, and will give you the benefit of the doubt considering your experience of watching them, but this statement is not very fair to make. Canada is by far the top country in the world for goaltending depth. It is not right to compare Dubnyk not making team Canada with Montoya (who was originally slated to be the back up) and Schwarz (who has little competition for the job). Dubnyk had some steap competition in Fleury, Harding, and Deslauriers who are all excellent, more experienced goalies.

While I would have to agree that the other two are possibly better from my limited exposure to them, this argument that you are making does not hold very much ground.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I'd pick Dubynk over Montoya. I saw a lot of Montoya at Michigan this past year, and i wasn't too impressed. He played well, but i didn't think he'd be the 1st goalie drafted this past year...surprised the hell out of me.

Dubynk is big, skilled, and agile. That goes a long way in the NHL these days.

I've never seen Shwartz play, so i wont comment or rank.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Wasn't it the Canucks that said they had Dubnyk and Schwarz pretty much equal?

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
s7ark said:
I know Dubnyk isn't gonna get a lot of love here, but I think he could surprise many. He has a good glove, can cover the entire bottom of the net in his butterfly, has quick feet, and seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

In his pre draft interview, one of the things that sold Lowe on him was that he brought a chart he made of all the players in the WHL and their passing/shooting preferences. That shows a lot of maturity for such a young kid.

I don't see Loungo in him but a Sean Burke is a possibilty. And that would be fine by me.

I don't know how he could have filled out shooters tendencies for the Vancouver Giants shooters that he faced in the playoffs, because all the Vancouver Giants shooters saw was net any time they shot the puck at the Kamloops net.
He is in my opinion a surprise 1st round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->