SCSU Huskies

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Olson and Swanson are out for the Huskies this weekend.

I'd expect Houseman to move to the third line to replace Olson, Raduns to move up to the second to replace Swanson, and either Peckskamp or Ammerman to be the 4th line forward replacing Houseman.

So I'd expect the lines to look like this

Nodl-Dey-Gordon
Kronick-Raduns-Lasch
Brocklehurst-Houseman-Hartman
Gale-Mjelleli-Peckskamp

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Huskies sweep the Dogs, allow just two goals on the weekend, both on satuday. Goepfert returned to form this weekend.

Can't say enough about Nodl and Lasch, they lead the country in Points per game for freshman at 1.5 and 1.33 respectively, and SCSU has already played the top 3 teams in the conference (UMN, UND, DUl; yes we play them all again too) and the schedule gets a lot easier for the next month or so.
These team could be a real force to be reckoned with later in the year

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Huskies sweep the Dogs, allow just two goals on the weekend, both on satuday. Goepfert returned to form this weekend.

Can't say enough about Nodl and Lasch, they lead the country in Points per game for freshman at 1.5 and 1.33 respectively, and SCSU has already played the top 3 teams in the conference (UMN, UND, DUl; yes we play them all again too) and the schedule gets a lot easier for the next month or so.
These team could be a real force to be reckoned with later in the year

Whoa there, tough guy. The schedule gets a LOT easier for the next month or so? :huh: Don't be too quick to judge the opposition, dear. Let's take a closer look at who the Huskies have coming up.

This weekend is Tech up in Houghton...a MUCH improved Huskies team. It could be a tough test and SCSU could sweep but I don't think it's going to be a cakewalk. MTU have been quite impressive this year and I wouldn't be surprised if this series ended in a split.

Next is Colgate at the NHC The Raiders have been inconsistent thus far. How much trouble they'll give the Huskies will depend on which Raiders team shows up.

After Xmas is the Catamount Cup holiday tourney at the Gut. The Huskies have Union to start off. The Dutchmen have had their moments but the Huskies should have no problem with them. If SCSU gets host UVM in the second game, the Huskies could be in for a very tough battle. UVM is hot right now and Joe Fallon can go toe-to-toe with Goepfert anyday of the week. The 'Cats are very, very good defensively and have some guys with some serious skills (just take a gander at Torrey Mitchell). Also, the Gut is a very tough place for opponents to play in, it's loud and crazy....that's all you need to know!

On a lighter note....I really like this Lasch kid. Definitely one that could garner some draft interest. I've been impressed with Nodl's skill level but I just wish he would play the body a bit more.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
My point only was that those teams are not what SCSU's first month consisted of with UMN, UND and DU all making appearences.

Tech is improved no doubt, they have had massive problems on the PP so far and their scoring isn't great so their only hope is to shut down an offense that is red hot right now, we'll see if they can

Colgate has been a disappointment this year. SCSU played them last year at Colgate and managed a tie and a win, and had no real problems scoring (and SCSU did as a team last year) so we shall see, but that should be a sweep.

Union should be an easy win, and I'm expecting Vermont in the final, which will be a test. I like Fallon, and I expect a goaltending duel in that one.
But if Tech can sweep Vermont in that building, SCSU can win one in a tourney while the students are on break :)

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Olson returns for SCSU this weekend, Swanson remains out

I'll be interested to see if Weslosky gets a start

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
anywhere I can listen or watch games? Do they have a place where I could buy a jersey?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Keep in mind that only one that they actually wear anymore is the script one.
The new jersey's have just started showing up in stores in cloud so it may be awhile before they get online

And all Husky games can be listened to at
www.lite999.com

Click on "Husky Hockey" on the left hand side and the listen live button is down towards the bottom

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Arggg, the wrong Huskies got swept. Unfortunately, I'm unsure whether it was the long T-D layoff or what or St. Cloud is just that much better.

Still not the end of the world, they have to play better on Friday nights too, just like when I went to Tech, the team would usually have their off game on Friday, and then come back stronger on Saturday.

And next week we're playing Minny (in Houghton), if they don't get up for that, I'll be mad.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Goepfert saved our bacon making 35 saves.
But playing badly and finding a way to win is a mark of a good team.

From the Husky beat writer's blog

Nodl and Lasch, the top two rookie scorers in the country entering the game, went pointless. Lasch, who on Friday was named the College Hockey Commissioners’ Rookie of the Month for November, could develop into a longshot to play for the U.S. in the coming World Junior Championship. Nodl could play for Team Austria, but won’t because his country is in the ‘B’ pool and he’d have to miss finals week.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Huskies sweep Colgate
3-1, 3-1
One win for Weslosky, one for Goepfert
Off till the 29th when they play in the VT tourney against Union

SCSU finishes 10-3-3 before the break, 6-3-3 in the WCHA.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Its looking more and more like SCSU is going to be a team to be reckoned with for several years to come. Good coaching, rookies at the top of the game and the prospect train coming in to an extent few in college hockey can match.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Its looking more and more like SCSU is going to be a team to be reckoned with for several years to come. Good coaching, rookies at the top of the game and the prospect train coming in to an extent few in college hockey can match.

Trust me, If everyone stays, I'm salivating at the lines SCSU can have in 08.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Trust me, If everyone stays, I'm salivating at the lines SCSU can have in 08.

I think it is a safe bet Philly will sign Nodl before 2008 and Gordon will be gone for 2008. Lasch seems like the only one of the current good scoring forwards likely to be around in 2008. I guess it will depend on whether Motzko's rookies pan out early on.

The big question would seem to be whether Saint Cloud will have the defense and goaltending. Motzko seems unwilling to test Weslosky against any truly good teams yet so I believe the jury is out yet on whether he can carry the load week after week. The best defensemen on Saint Cloud are guys that will be gone in the next year or two. It could be a situation where they score a lot but also give up a lot.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Gordon would have been gone anyway as he's a senior next year.
Nodl's situation depends on him, he wants the education but he has also said he wants to be a pro.
Yes, SCSU loses some D next year in Clafton, Fletcher and Borer, but Raboin is improving every week, Stephenson is solid, and Carlisle has played well.
As for Weslosky, we aren't worried about him. No he hasn't played the top teams, but that's because this is Goepfert's team. Goepfert hadn't played any of the top WCHA teams and he did fine.
The team already trusts this kid and they know he can play, he'll be fine.
And yes, it does depend on how the kids do next year and then in '08, but then, it works that way for every team now doesn't it?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nodl would be better served to stay in school next year. I really doubt he'd make the Flyers and when everything straightens out in the offseason, he may not get a much time as he should with the Phantoms.

The Flyers don't have to sign Nodl until he graduates. When he was drafted, it was thought that he would stay in school for a few years - I'd perfer if he did that.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I hope you're right about Philly not needing Nodl for next year, because to me it looks like all their right wingers stink. Of course, Giroux is a RW and was drafted ahead of him, so hopefully that's where the Flyers will go first.

Washington has some depth at left wing and center right now, so depending on how Gordon is feeling about school, I don't think the Caps will rush him.

Weslosky may have only three games against average opponents under his belt, but he's looked solid in all of them. I don't know that he'll be as good as Bobby, but I'm fairly certain he won't be a bottom half WCHA goaltender.

The WJC thankfully missed out on Lasch, so though he's (second year) draft eligible, there's a good chance he'll go late round or not at all. He'll be a great four year player for the Huskies.

I agree that the defense will be most suspect, though I do have some faith that they'll be okay. I (unlike many of the Husky faithful) have never believed strongly in Borer's hockey skill (though his leadership is invaluable). I don't know that losing him next year will hurt much, but losing Fletcher will. Stephenson will be awesome, and I have a good feeling that Motzko will still bring in an offensive defenseman for '07. Besides them, Brocklehurst will move back to D, then there's still defensive minded Raboin and sufficient Carlisle. The 6th and 7th defensemen will stink. SCSU was very close in the running for defensive recruits Brandon Martell and Ben Blood, but lost them to UMN and UND respectively. There's still some good recruits out there that could be ready next season. Jeff Forsythe of the BCHL comes to mind.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
There is also Volpei's teammate in Salmon Arm, Damon Kipp.
Yeah, Kipp's in my top ten (no scouting experience) among all available offensive defensemen ready to play next year, and landing him would also give SCSU a recruiting advantage for his teamate Erik Spady ('89) as an '08 or '09 recruit. Just being an internet rumor and statistics guy, I put those as my top three offensive defensemen recruits available in the BCHL.

Riley Nash is a highly touted '89 forward with Salmon Arm, and as far as I can tell SCSU is not in the running for him. So, whomever lands Nash will also have a recruiting advantage. Also, Ben Winnett of Salmon Arm is a Michigan recruit, but they're set for defensemen next year.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Huskies win the Catamount Cup
4-2 over Union; 4-2 over VT
10th straight win, new school record.
UAA is next.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The roll continues
Sweep of UAA 4-2, 4-1
Lasch with 2 goals on Friday
Gordon with 2 saturday
Goepfert with the win friday, Weslosky on saturday.
Streak is now 12 in a row, 15 unbeaten.
Home and home with Kato next, and a chance to avenge one of the 3 losses on the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad