Proposal: scratching eberle and lucic at the same time.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Wasn't it the Buffalo game where TMac shuffled the lines late in the first that saw Looch-Ebs drop down to the Drai line, and Maroon-Pulju play with Connor. The result was a goal for the Drai line and a prime scoring chance for the other line..... and then they never played together again.

I think those lines should be revisited. Drai likes to slow things down, as does Eberle, and Looch is no burner. This doesn't change the fact Ebs has been horribly disappointing and Looch not much better, but I feel in the case of Looch he doesn't seem to know what to do playing with McD. Looch also did quite well with Kopitar last year, a style Draisaitl tries to emulate. Why TMac can't grasp this, I have no idea?

As for scratching them at the same time, seems over reactionary. Staple their butts to the bench for a shift or 2, but I'm not sure we have better guys in the press box.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The expectations for Lucic and Eberle are way way to high right now.

Lucic is top15 LW points.

Eberle is 18th RW points.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

This needs to be pushed into the front of people's minds more frequently. It's funny how quickly fans became spoiled by the great start the Oilers had. A couple of mediocre to bad games, and people are calling for heads to roll. The Oilers haven't had a start this good in a long time. 8-3-1. Things are ok. Considering the moving parts in the lineup this year, it's actually quite impressive.

I'm not defending either of these two guys fully; they clearly aren't perfect. But things are still looking pretty good from where I'm sitting.

Lucic is a bit slow in his reactions, which has caused some unfortunate turn overs or lack of defensive awareness (Rick Nash's goal he was very soft on the puck). He is still learning a new system, I'm hopeful we'll see the bull that he can be still.

Eberle is soft. We've always known he was the softest of the kids. No surprise there. But if you think about the stats the poster I quoted just showed you and then think about just how snake bitten he has been, you have to be pretty optimistic. Top18 and has looked like he's missing a step... well ****, what happens if he starts firing on all cylinders again? Every team has a one-dimensional player in their top 6, ours is Eberle. He has the skill for it to be alright that he is just that. If he can get his scoring touch back to what we all know it can be, then look out. He's seemed a step behind McDavid in both speed and anticipation, but he is good enough that he should be able to adapt.

Maybe we wait until we're not the top of the division/conference/top 5-8 in the league before doomsday threads pop up and we discuss sitting a combined 16 points in 12 games. They are on pace for 60~ points (give or take a 25-35 goal season), which in this NHL where star players get paid 8 are getting 80 points, is about right.

We need to take a breath. Realize that even good teams take a slide now and then, and also remember: most people didn't think we are a lock for the playoffs! So being hard on this team after surprising most with the start that they did is pretty funny.

Sitting Lucic and Eberle, especially at the same time, is stupid. Luckily the coaches will know that.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
lucic is slow but he hits and crashes the net. eberle all these years is still made of paper and turns the puck over countless times. I wished he was traded in the off season. at least yak drives the damn net

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
This thread is way out there, we cannot sit 2 NHL calibre players even if they have not been playing to potential, besides who are we going to replace them with? They are a lot of teams that would love to have these wingers on their squad despite what they say to the contrary.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
lucic is slow but he hits and crashes the net. eberle all these years is still made of paper and turns the puck over countless times. I wished he was traded in the off season. at least yak drives the damn net

Right.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

It's not really about points though, at least not when it comes to Lucic. I never expected him to be a big point producer. What I did expect was him being a leader on the ice, working hard, banging bodies and creating space for McDavid/his linemates which so far into the season I haven't really seen much of and that's what's so disappointing. Most games you don't even notice him out there, he's a ghost. However he scored an important goal yesterday and had a pair of important points against the Canucks so it hasn't been all bad, but I expect a lot more out of him. I thought he'd be a better (albeit slightly different) version of Maroon, but to this point into the season Maroon has been the superior player, at a $4M cheaper caphit.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
It's not really about points though, at least not when it comes to Lucic. I never expected him to be a big point producer. What I did expect was him being a leader on the ice, working hard, banging bodies and creating space for McDavid/his linemates which so far into the season I haven't really seen much of and that's what's so disappointing. Most games you don't even notice him out there, he's a ghost. However he scored an important goal yesterday and had a pair of important points against the Canucks so it hasn't been all bad, but I expect a lot more out of him. I thought he'd be a better (albeit slightly different) version of Maroon, but to this point into the season Maroon has been the superior player, at a $4M cheaper caphit.

These are my thoughts exactly!! When the anger of the Hall trade started to wear off I started thinking about the potential of our new look team and what excited me most was having Lucic in the lineup knowing what he can bring to the table. So far I've been underwhelmed.

I can't get too riled up because he's actually producing quite well for a guy putting in as little effort as Lucic has, but I'd take nearly half of those points if he started crashing and banging and got back to what made him so effective in the past. He was brought here to make life difficult for opposing teams and so far we just haven't seen it. He barely wins a puck battle along the boards, we hardly ever see him wreak havoc in front of the net, especially on the pp where he'd be most effective. Hell he hasn't even been protecting McDavid the way he was brought here to do (see Kadri and the Leafs game).

I still think the guy has a lot to offer though. I'm hoping he's still just getting his feet wet playing on a new team and the fact is, it's still just 12 games into the season so he might still be trying to find his legs. But I will say this, If i'm as disappointed at the end of the season as I am so far with his play, I can't imagine what I'll be like in 7 years when his contract is coming to an end.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Looch has found a home away from 97's hip, forming what looks to be a potent trio for the time being in the Lucic-Draisaitl-Pitlick line. No telling if it continues, but he's clearly responded to the coach's message well.

Meanwhile, Eberle is... nowhere to be seen once again, save for a guffed chance in front that was wholly orchestrated by McDavid. There are a million guys in not only this league but the whole of the hockey world who could shoot the puck into the goalie's chest off a pass from McDavid; what we need is someone who can actually put those in, and it's clear Eberle isn't going to be that guy.

Sooner or later, 14 needs to be moved. He just has no home on a team that demands speed, heavy forechecking and defensive awareness from its forward group. Move him out East like Hall so he can rack up meaningless points against dumpster fire teams.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Looch has found a home away from 97's hip, forming what looks to be a potent trio for the time being in the Lucic-Draisaitl-Pitlick line. No telling if it continues, but he's clearly responded to the coach's message well.

Meanwhile, Eberle is... nowhere to be seen once again, save for a guffed chance in front that was wholly orchestrated by McDavid. There are a million guys in not only this league but the whole of the hockey world who could shoot the puck into the goalie's chest off a pass from McDavid; what we need is someone who can actually put those in, and it's clear Eberle isn't going to be that guy.

Sooner or later, 14 needs to be moved. He just has no home on a team that demands speed, heavy forechecking and defensive awareness from its forward group. Move him out East like Hall so he can rack up meaningless points against dumpster fire teams.

I have several issues with Eberle's game, but he is a proven finisher in this league. He's a streaky player, and those will start going in at some point. His defensive game and play along the boards leaves a lot to be desired, but he'll get going offensively (it's not like he's in some massive slump, either, he has 8 points through 13 games).

There will come a point where we're up against the cap and paying 6 million to a player like Eberle will be too much, but in the meantime he certainly can contribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad