Post-Game Talk: SCQ #3 - 8/4/20 | hurricanes @ RANGERS

3 Least Embarrassing Players

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Carolina has had a head start on us, remember they were rebuilding when they sent Staal to us.
Also traded Saarela who is on the Panthers now. 4 points in his first 9 games, not too bad.
Eric Staal was such a waste here. Goes to Minnesota and puts up 60+ points in his first season and a 42 goal 70+ point season. :facepalm:

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
He is kinda going under the radar, at least I don't think I've seen it mentioned. Buchnevich was not noticable at all, he didn't add any offense or really do anything. I know we have tried to trade him before but hoping it gets done this off-season.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Also traded Saarela who is on the Panthers now. 4 points in his first 9 games, not too bad.
Eric Staal was such a waste here. Goes to Minnesota and puts up 60+ points in his first season and a 42 goal 70+ point season. :facepalm:

He got injured his first game, I remember the hit. I'm not sure why they didn't give him a shot the year after.

Reactions: Rangers394

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He is kinda going under the radar, at least I don't think I've seen it mentioned. Buchnevich was not noticable at all, he didn't add any offense or really do anything. I know we have tried to trade him before but hoping it gets done this off-season.
HFNYR voted him the 4th & 5th best player in games 1 & 2, and was pretty unanimously one of our best player in the exhibition game. He had a bad game 3 but I thought he was one of our best players throughout this thing. He was the only of the top 6 guys who played with a pulse and was physical. Led our team in hits in the exhibition.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York

I think he's a classic case of a guy who will take a little longer to develop. He's already exceeded expectations as a 3rd round pick

68 GP 46 Points.

Can he become a 60 point guy? That's pretty damn valuable in today's NHL. I think the Russian factor hurts him in that people expect him to play a different style than he does. His shooting percentage this year was near his career low, yes four years, but he was pretty snake-bitten at times.

I do like the snarl he brings to his game too. Very positive player for me.

Looking over his stats, does anyone know what possession quality is? Is that kind of like applying expected goals into his shots for and against?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Everyone here that wants to hire Laviolette is going to hate him the second they realize he'll play Brett Howden and Artemi Panarin the same minutes at 5v5. Quinn's issues are not being able to adapt and handle teams that play with structure in 5-man units. It's weird since it's something he preaches himself, but he still needs a lot of work in that regard. The one thing Quinn does very well is deploy his forwards properly.

If we want to look at the positives with him, it's undeniable that the team started turning the corner in January. Factor that in with a hopefully improved bottom-6 through acquisition/our own players developing, and I think we'll see a better, more competitive team next season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Difference is Laviolette would turn Howden into a legit bottom 6 checking player.

right now that’s what he wants to be but without any structure he’s lost

we’ve got guys that should be able to contribute in the bottom 6. Lemieux Howden Chytil Kravtsov Gauthier Barron Gettinger they need coaching and structure to get the best out of them imo.

I’m not sure Quinn is bad so to speak but he’s not an elite coach. And you’ve got two elite coaches sitting there. You might have 3 if Sullivan becomes avail and he will if Pitt loses this series.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
HFNYR voted him the 4th & 5th best player in games 1 & 2, and was pretty unanimously one of our best player in the exhibition game. He had a bad game 3 but I thought he was one of our best players throughout this thing. He was the only of the top 6 guys who played with a pulse and was physical. Led our team in hits in the exhibition.

We must have been watching different games, that said I know you're a fan of his while I'm not really sold. We do agree on ADA at least.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I know it is not a good analogy and nobody want to hear it, but when I think back to the Francis era (when I was a season ticket holder in the old blue seats), people tend to remember all the strong teams that we had and all the success that we enjoyed. But, after missing the playoffs for many years we:

Year 1: eliminated in the first round, 4-0
Year 2: eliminated in the first round, 4-2
Year 3: eliminated in the first round, 4-0
Year 4: eliminated in the first round, 4-2

It was not until year 5 after finally making the playoffs that we won a playoff series. Bob Nevin, scoring an overtime goal vs. Toronto to clinch a series, is one of my sweetest memories.

Now, these days, with the cap being what it is, teams don't have the luxury of waiting for multiple years after a rebuild starts to succeed and becoming a serious contender. But, perhaps, a little perspective is necessary. Doesn't stop the pain, however.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Everyone here that wants to hire Laviolette is going to hate him the second they realize he'll play Brett Howden and Artemi Panarin the same minutes at 5v5. Quinn's issues are not being able to adapt and handle teams that play with structure in 5-man units. It's weird since it's something he preaches himself, but he still needs a lot of work in that regard. The one thing Quinn does very well is deploy his forwards properly.

If we want to look at the positives with him, it's undeniable that the team started turning the corner in January. Factor that in with a hopefully improved bottom-6 through acquisition/our own players developing, and I think we'll see a better, more competitive team next season.

Quinn's issues are he has one capable left dman, 4 or 5 top 6 forwards, some Ahl players in the lineup and the second youngest team in the league. Having said all that I'd get Gallant if I could .

Reactions: Chytilmania

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know it is not a good analogy and nobody want to hear it, but when I think back to the Francis era (when I was a season ticket holder in the old blue seats), people tend to remember all the strong teams that we had and all the success that we enjoyed. But, after missing the playoffs for many years we:

Year 1: eliminated in the first round, 4-0
Year 2: eliminated in the first round, 4-2
Year 3: eliminated in the first round, 4-0
Year 4: eliminated in the first round, 4-2

It was not until year 5 after finally making the playoffs that we won a playoff series. Bob Nevin, scoring an overtime goal vs. Toronto to clinch a series, is one of my sweetest memories.

Now, these days, with the cap being what it is, teams don't have the luxury of waiting for multiple years after a rebuild starts to succeed and becoming a serious contender. But, perhaps, a little perspective is necessary. Doesn't stop the pain, however.

There are a lot of examples of young teams getting bounced quickly from the first round and even embarrassed.

The Rangers got eliminated in 5 by the Caps in 2011, in a series where they blew a 3-0 lead in game 4 and only managed 5 goals in the other 4 games. Young team that made the Eastern Conference Final the next season. The Penguins got eliminated in 5 by the Senators in 2007, and even got shut out in game 5, the first elimination game that group had ever faced. Young team that made the Stanley Cup Final the next season. In 2014, the Lightning got swept by a Canadiens team who they shared a basically identical record with. Young team that made the Stanley Cup Final the next season. While they didn't lose as quickly, the 2008 Bruins got shutout in game 7 of the first round. Young team that finished 1st in the conference the next season (would be a couple more years before they won a Cup).

I'm sure you can find plenty of examples of young teams struggling with their first taste of the playoffs. In a certain way, I appreciate that this team got to have a taste of it a year sooner than they should have, no matter how angry I am at their performance.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Difference is Laviolette would turn Howden into a legit bottom 6 checking player.

right now that’s what he wants to be but without any structure he’s lost

we’ve got guys that should be able to contribute in the bottom 6. Lemieux Howden Chytil Kravtsov Gauthier Barron Gettinger they need coaching and structure to get the best out of them imo.

I’m not sure Quinn is bad so to speak but he’s not an elite coach. And you’ve got two elite coaches sitting there. You might have 3 if Sullivan becomes avail and he will if Pitt loses this series.
A new coach does nothing as long as we have do much dead weight on this team. Need to have patience and not make any dumb decisions. When your team has Digiuseppe and McKegg in the bottom 6 with Staal on the blue line in a playoff qualifier, your roster has serious issues. Fix that and see what happens

Reactions: Chytilmania

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Agreed with most of the posters above. I'd love to improve the bottom 6, get rid of Staal and see if our young forwards can progress before getting rid of Quinn. We would have a much different view if we got the full season in and just missed the playoffs than how we just ended now.

Reactions: Rangers394

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

Thank AV for that

Reactions: McSauer

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think everyone, me included got ahead of ourselves with the rebuild. It was always thought to be after the old boys contracts left that we would compete and it's pretty much looking like that. The one thing though we have to do is integrate Kravtsov into this team next year, Miller should get some time here, see if Barron or Khodorenko is ready and really start the process of filling some holes with our prospects.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I think everyone, me included got ahead of ourselves with the rebuild. It was always thought to be after the old boys contracts left that we would compete and it's pretty much looking like that. The one thing though we have to do is integrate Kravtsov into this team next year, Miller should get some time here, see if Barron or Khodorenko is ready and really start the process of filling some holes with our prospects.
Agreed. Between Hank, Staal, Smith and all the buyout money, it's like 25 million or something plus in cap space that they are taking up.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
There are a lot of examples of young teams getting bounced quickly from the first round and even embarrassed.

The Rangers got eliminated in 5 by the Caps in 2011, in a series where they blew a 3-0 lead in game 4 and only managed 5 goals in the other 4 games. Young team that made the Eastern Conference Final the next season. The Penguins got eliminated in 5 by the Senators in 2007, and even got shut out in game 5, the first elimination game that group had ever faced. Young team that made the Stanley Cup Final the next season. In 2014, the Lightning got swept by a Canadiens team who they shared a basically identical record with. Young team that made the Stanley Cup Final the next season. While they didn't lose as quickly, the 2008 Bruins got shutout in game 7 of the first round. Young team that finished 1st in the conference the next season (would be a couple more years before they won a Cup).

I'm sure you can find plenty of examples of young teams struggling with their first taste of the playoffs. In a certain way, I appreciate that this team got to have a taste of it a year sooner than they should have, no matter how angry I am at their performance.

Different sports but everyone should watch The Last Dance. Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen explaining that they had to endure the Pistons before they could beat them. How they used those playoff beatdowns to motivate, train, mold the roster. Two of the greatest team sport athletes ever, explaining that losing is part of the process.

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Different sports but everyone should watch The Last Dance. Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen explaining that they had to endure the Pistons before they could beat them. How they used those playoff beatdowns to motivate, train, mold the roster. Two of the greatest team sport athletes ever, explaining that losing is part of the process.

I seem to remember reading something about the Oilers losing to the Isles in 83 and noticing that instead of celebrating the Isles were icing up injuries because they were completely spent. Showed the Oilers exactly what was required to win.

Of course for both the Bulls and Oilers they'd won series and were playing the undisputed best team in the league, not getting bounced in a play-in tournament while barely firing a shot... I guess the lessons have to start somewhere though

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I seem to remember reading something about the Oilers losing to the Isles in 83 and noticing that instead of celebrating the Isles were icing up injuries because they were completely spent. Showed the Oilers exactly what was required to win.

Of course for both the Bulls and Oilers they'd won series and were playing the undisputed best team in the league, not getting bounced in a play-in tournament while barely firing a shot... I guess the lessons have to start somewhere though

Yeah it was Lowe who put the thought to words. Famous story.

The Oilers had actually only won one series before that year. They’re another young team that got swept in their first playoff series, which was 3 years before that story, by the Flyers in 1980. Got to the second round in 81, lost in the first in 82.

Reactions: mike14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->