Post-Game Talk: SCQ #1 - 8/1/20 | RANGERS @ hurricanes

3 Stars, i guess

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
This should be your tag. That way, everyone will know what they need to about your opinion and your hockey “knowledge”.
Gotcha you internet warrior you!
Whenever you don't understand something about hockey, feel free to reach out. I'd be happy to educate you. Until then.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Igor played they would have lost 2-1 . Neither Marc Staal goals happen. Offense didn’t show up. Nuff said, move onto next game.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Do people think there is an underlying "systems" issue at play?

The Carolina system seems to lend itself to postseason hockey very well. They throw multiple forecheckers at the puck all game during the regular season which is what postseason hockey basically turns into.

Meanwhile the Rags also do play a fast/O-zone pressure game but to a lesser degree/not as aggressive. We rely less on speed and size, and more on nice passing.

The 4 month break clearly hurt our passing a lot, maybe it would be different if there was no break but Carolina also played very well last playoffs.

And for those saying it was close because we only lost by 1, I'm not sure what game you were watching that could've easily been 5 or 6 goals for Carolina.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

The Carolina system seems to lend itself to postseason hockey very well. They throw multiple forecheckers at the puck all game during the regular season which is what postseason hockey basically turns into.

Meanwhile the Rags also do play a fast/O-zone pressure game but to a lesser degree/not as aggressive. We rely less on speed and size, and more on nice passing.

The 4 month break clearly hurt our passing a lot, maybe it would be different if there was no break but Carolina also played very well last playoffs.

And for those saying we only lost by 1, I'm not sure what game you were watching that could've easily been 5 or 6 goals for Carolina.

I wish the Rangers would try slowing the game down. I see guys sprinting everywhere for 45 seconds--which is commendable I guess--but they're losing the puck, finding themselves at bad angles with poor pass options, etc. Slow. Down. They're not the better team. They don't have hall of famers on defense. Don't make this a track meet.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There’s a reason the rangers are consistently outshot with hank in net and it has nothing to do with his ability to stop the puck and everything to do with his rebounds and inability to make any kind of play with the puck on his stick. Carolina seals walls so well at best hank gets a puck and flips it at the glass. He can’t make an actual pass. He kicks slow pucks coming at him into corners that lead to 1 on 1 battles instead of making a play to a dman or even gloving it and killing the play. It’s how he’s always played.

we again are a completely different animal with Shesterkin. Instead of hanging on for dear life we are pushing the play. We have hung on for dear life for the better part of 15 years.

This. All of this. I don't want Shestyorkin in net because I think Lundqvist is costing us the game, or is a bad goalie. He played a great game. But it's all about which goalie gives you the best chance and IMO Shestyorkin in net makes us a better team.

1. The defense plays a more compact game, they are playing actual defense. In front of Lundqvist, they give up the blue line every freaking time. Again, this is in no way Lundqvist's fault, but the easiest way to remedy this is to play Shestyorkin. Our defense just plays differently.
2. Shestyorkin's far superior puck handling skills are a great way to counter Carolina's forecheck on those dump ins. They are constantly pinning us down in our zone because we cannot take control of the puck on those dump ins. That leads to sustained pressure and eventually tired D-men and shots against.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Is there a media blackout during practice or something? Should be obviously clear by now is Shesterkin is healthy or not if it started at 10am

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Is there a media blackout during practice or something? Should be obviously clear by now is Shesterkin is healthy or not if it started at 10am

the media is not there in the bubble. so they have no idea what is going on until the zoom calls and then only know what the team tells them

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
the media is not there in the bubble. so they have no idea what is going on until the zoom calls and then only know what the team tells them

Yeah, but I figured they'd let a few of them watch on a monitor or something.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I wish the Rangers would try slowing the game down. I see guys sprinting everywhere for 45 seconds--which is commendable I guess--but they're losing the puck, finding themselves at bad angles with poor pass options, etc. Slow. Down. They're not the better team. They don't have hall of famers on defense. Don't make this a track meet.

A track meet benefits this team with the offensive talent they have on the top half of their roster. Their puck handling was just incredibly rusty the first couple of games here. I think slowing down only plays into the Hurricanes' hands.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
To say our defense was prevented from playing their best because Hank played instead of Igor is speculative at best. Our top D didn’t show up for work yesterday. That’s on them, not Hank.

I never said that, I said our left side d sucks, and having a puck playing goalie compensates for that.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

And for those saying it was close because we only lost by 1, I'm not sure what game you were watching that could've easily been 5 or 6 goals for Carolina.

Put Shesterkin in, force them to dump it in, he moves it out, we go back the other way and our players are fresher in the offensive zone because they haven't spent 40-90 seconds trying to get it out. It's simple if you have a goalie who can play like that, much the same as Montreal does.

Reactions: Brother Mouzone

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I think the system issue is just that a speed and creativity heavy system is going to take more time and reps to get back into than a hustle and scheme-heavy system like the Isles, and to a lesser extent Carolina, depend on. Gotta hope our guys can get back into the groove quickly.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
I haven't read through this thread, but it looked to me like Gauthier was one of the best players on the ice. He and Kakko should be moving up in the lineup, especially with Fast being out

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The hit on Fast had a large impact on the game (remember that when we are discussing his contract for next year and beyond) but the most tangible negative was that he was still on the ice for the Slavin goal and was directly responsible for covering the point. He was probably out on his feet at that point. The best thing he could have done was stay down on the ice.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Hank got his chance. He played ok, Still we would have needed 4 to win. He didn't steal a game.

Maybe Igor steals the game. Maybe not. We'll never know. I'd rather take my chances on Igor stealing one.
It’s like getting Manuel Neuer back. Very good goalie, sure, but his biggest contribution is being the best sweeper-keeper. I think Igor can do the same for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad