scoutman1's early look at 2017 NHL draft

NJDevils

Dec 23, 2007
NJ
You think 1st round? second?

as of right now, safer to say in a middle round. He has great offensive skills and has dominated every level he's played at, but he needs to play in the USHL or OHL next year and his draft year. If he grows a couple inches and shows he can be just as dominant in the USHL/OHL as he has been these past two years, then he could move up into the top 60-75.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I believe Koltigin and Maksimov are playing for the jr.Can this year.

nizzi

Dec 21, 2013
Finland
It is still early in the year and i have not seen some guys yet and there might be some late bdays of 98s that I do not know they are late bdays yet because sometimes scouting sheets just tell me 1998 born so here is my early look at my top 30 players i have seen so far for the 2017 NHL draft.

17. Urho Vaakanainen—D—Jokipojat 5’11/159

Vaakanainen is 6'0"/174 now and he played last season in Espoo Blues U18.
Never seen him playing yet. :(

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Vaakanainen was touted as the best D prospect coming from Finland of the ages. Haven't seen the guy at all, but will be interesting to see what becomes of him.

Something I've noted about these lists of future prospects is that Europeans are somewhat randomly slotted in the first round. F.ex Scoutman1 (or whatever his nick is) had Patrik Laine somewhere between top15-20 in 2016 draft and when he was asked questions about Laine or Puljujärvi he simply ignored them. So obviously some of these "pro scouts" have no actual first hand knowledge of europrospects that are surfacing outside their scouting range and instead are relying on other scouting lists or reports. Kind of funny to see a kid listed without knowing a thing about him.

Anyway, not on my workstation at the moment so apologies if I had the poster wrong out of fresh memory. Will have another look tomorrow when getting back home.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I have no idea how these guys fit into the guys already mentioned but two names that haven't been mentioned here but have caught my eye are D Callan Foote, Adam Foote's son is a Kelowna prospect and a late 98 birthday. Also, F Austin Pratt is currently at Shattuck and is a Red Deer prospect already reportedly 6'2 220 lbs.

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007
Something I've noted about these lists of future prospects is that Europeans are somewhat randomly slotted in the first round. F.ex Scoutman1 (or whatever his nick is) had Patrik Laine somewhere between top15-20 in 2016 draft and when he was asked questions about Laine or Puljujärvi he simply ignored them. So obviously some of these "pro scouts" have no actual first hand knowledge of europrospects that are surfacing outside their scouting range and instead are relying on other scouting lists or reports. Kind of funny to see a kid listed without knowing a thing about him.

Would guess that's pretty much the only option, especially this far in advance. Guys are listed because someone (in Europe) who's opinion they trust says the player is elite. The ranks are only ever meant as preliminary, anyway. Better to include elite talent and adjust the rankings later, than exclude someone just because you haven't seen him personally, imo.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Would guess that's pretty much the only option, especially this far in advance. Guys are listed because someone (in Europe) who's opinion they trust says the player is elite. The ranks are only ever meant as preliminary, anyway. Better to include elite talent and adjust the rankings later, than exclude someone just because you haven't seen him personally, imo.

From whose perspective? For credibility it makes far more sense to concentrate on areas/regions in your domain and create a fluid list (specific numbering at this point is pointless) of players of interest. Sure, it's probably better for fans like myself because we see new names and Europe is definitely underepresented when it comes to this type of topic, but that is what it is.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Still way too early, I have a feeling someone new will emerge. If Dhooge hits 5'`10 he's easily #1.
Dhooge is 5'4 and his stats don't seem that impressive, he's 15 playing in a U16 league.

I haven't seen him play but how come you seem him as the early easy #1?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Dhooge is 5'4 and his stats don't seem that impressive, he's 15 playing in a U16 league.

I haven't seen him play but how come you seem him as the early easy #1?

Stats don't tell the whole story but if he won't grow much I can't seem him being picked high. I just have a feeling Patrick won't go # 1. Recent trends show Centers or defenseman being favoured unless the winger is exceptional compared to the rest of the pack. Forwards Clark and MacLeod playing in the GTHL are the class of the league and have good size, so plenty of potential there.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I get the feeling that Patrick, being a late birthday, will have his game picked apart by scouts in his draft year.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
What can you tell me about Jonah Gadjovich? I think he's one of the youngest guys in the OHL, and from what I've seen this season I think he's going to become a really good energy player.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I get the feeling that Patrick, being a late birthday, will have his game picked apart by scouts in his draft year.
They're isn't a whole lot to pick apart in Patrick's game. He's big and strong, plays a two-way game, hits, shoots hard, thinks the game well and he puts up points.

He's a really solid all-around player, I think he just has to produce in his draft year to be a #1 because he has all the tools.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What can you tell me about Jonah Gadjovich? I think he's one of the youngest guys in the OHL, and from what I've seen this season I think he's going to become a really good energy player.

Taken from his EP profile:

Strong, rugged winger. Possesses solid finesse tools including a forceful shot which he can unload in confined spaces. Successful execution is based on strength and skill. Absorbs punishment to make plays, knows how to shield the puck in high traffic areas and drive the net in possession. Displays a knack for coming up with loose pucks, guided by strong anticipation and positioning. Nifty stick handler able to make quick, skilled plays in traffic. Best weapon is a crisp wrist shot and snapshot that he can unload in top gear. Talented at creating offense off of the wall and on the cycle. A motor that’s always going, rarely takes shifts off, competes, does what it takes to win. Stiff, wide track skater, stride is truncated and misses elite power and quickness. Loses momentum in turns. More of a bull in a china shop mentality, could be more calm and cerebral in possession, allowing plays to develop instead of forcing things. (Sean Lafortune, 2014)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad