Scouting the Possible Contenders and what they could use from Detroit.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'll start by listing our most obvious tradeable veterans.
  • Bernier
  • Helm
  • Glendening
  • Green
So who might need them?
Here are the contending teams that might be able to use those guys.
Boston - Could really use Glendening as the 4C. Coyle and Kuraly aren't good on faceoffs.
Toronto - Bernier might be a great fit if Detroit eats $1.5M or so. Gauthier has finally fit in the depth C role.
Tampa - Glendening could work. They only have 1 center above 50 percent and Tampa is notoriously soft. Cooper knows what he's about.
Washington - Not sure we help them. Eller is a really good 3C. Maybe they could use Helm or Glendening.
NY Islanders- Not sure we offer much here.
Pittsburgh - Bjugstad's return means LFG is not needed. They need scoring help. Can't see them needing Green. Probably not much help from Detroit.
Carolina - They don't need our guys.
Florida - Bernier could help here in a major way.
St. Louis - Glendening would be a nice fit as 4C/PK. Huge upgrade on DLR.
Colorado - They have no real need from Detroit.
Dallas - Strong down the middle. Good on RD. Has a backup goalie. Next.
Winnipeg - Could really use Bernier as a backup.
Vegas - Glendening could be an upgrade on Eakin or Nosek. This might be Mike Green's best fit, too. They have ZERO in terms of RHD with offensive ability.
Arizona - We can't help them. Outside of taking Kessell off their hands.
Vancouver - Zilch
Edmonton - The Oil are fading fast. Could they use Glendening? Sure. But to replace who? Sheahan? Doesn't seem like that great an improvement. But I'm sure a coach would love 55% and righthanded. Bernier would be an improvement on Mike Smith, but they have no way of disposing of Smith other than waivers/demotion.
Calgary - Nothing to offer.

Bottom line.
There could be lots of demand for Bernier and Glendening.
I don't see where Helm and Green will fetch much. Injuries could change that, obviously - especially in the case of Green.

If I'm Yzerman, I'm starting to make these calls today to get a sense of what's available.
Athanasiou is another potential trade chip, but considering he'll have about 5 goals on Jan.15, I don't see how Yzerman gets any value out of such a trade.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
AA is the most interesting. I get why one might expect him to be valueless but I’m not sure I agree. Despite having a down year his speed and skill is undeniable. When he is on his game he is a player that several contenders would covet. Given his 1 year salary we could even retain money to open up the trade market. 1.5 million at the deadline would open up The buyers market quite a bit. Despite his struggles he is still pacing for 40 points over a full season. I doubt he’ll actually get to 40 but on average he is giving you some secondary offence every few games. Long term his shooting percentage will likely come up, especially given the amount of odd man rush scenarios he finds himself in. How much better does he play in a more sheltered role/with a better lineup? Lastly, with RFA status, the worst case scenario is you get him for two playoffs runs.

I get that a down year will caution teams, but if you’re a contender how many better bets will even be available? kreider and Pageau who are current UFA but the rental options drop off quickly after that.

I truly believe some other gms will take a long look at him but Ultimately, it will play out that Detroit would value him more than anyone else at this point precisely for the reasons I first mentioned.

I could see teams offering a 2nd + an okay prospect if AA continues his current play.

Unless we are getting a top 20 pick I’d rather bet on AA bouncing back ourselves

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Good thread idea. I think most teams should want a guy like Glendening in my opinion. He would boost a lot of fourth lines around the league. I really wonder what other teams think of Athanasiou, the opinions are possibly vastly divergent.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If I were a fan of a contending team I would love a Glendening pick up at the trade deadline. I think he may be undervalued by fans. I think he has a shot at netting a first. He is exactly what you want to add for a playoff run.

Reactions: lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If I were a fan of a contending team I would love a Glendening pick up at the trade deadline. I think he may be undervalued by fans. I think he has a shot at netting a first. He is exactly what you want to add for a playoff run.

Depends. Lots of teams already have solid 4Cs who win faceoffs and kill penalties. They'd probably spend their asset on something they don't have.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Depends. Lots of teams already have solid 4Cs who win faceoffs and kill penalties. They'd probably spend their asset on something they don't have.

yeah, but going off the OP’s analysis of other rosters there’s six teams that could use him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Vegas isn't going to overpay for Green, Prez of Hockey Ops McPhee (formerly GM) was the guy who drafted Green. He knows that Green isn't a playoff performer, and on top of that he's having a bad regular season.

I'd be surprised if we get more than a 3rd round pick for Green.

Reactions: MBH and Mlotek

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
Nobody wants Bernier or Helm, especially at the trade deadline. These guys aren't going to provide any use in a playoff run. A team looking for goalie depth for the playoffs will look elsewhere, as Bernier doesn't have much of a playoff track record (9gp, 2W, .885 Sv%, 3.35 gaa).

Glendening, AA, and maybe Green are tradeable at the deadline.

AA will get his tires kicked, but teams won't want to pay alot. I could see a 2nd + B prospect, or perhaps a similar aged player who needs a change of scenery as well.

Glendening could possibly fetch a 1st if a bidding war ensues.

Green is interesting as he could be quite useful on the right PP, but could he get a 1st rounder? With Yzerman doing the deal it's certainly possible, but it's equally possible that he gets injured again right before the TDL.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Nobody wants Bernier or Helm, especially at the trade deadline. These guys aren't going to provide any use in a playoff run. A team looking for goalie depth for the playoffs will look elsewhere, as Bernier doesn't have much of a playoff track record (9gp, 2W, .885 Sv%, 3.35 gaa).

AA will get his tires kicked, but teams won't want to pay alot. I could see a 2nd + B prospect, or perhaps a similar aged player who needs a change of scenery as well.

Green is interesting as he could be quite useful on the right PP, but could he get a 1st rounder? With Yzerman doing the deal it's certainly possible, but it's equally possible that he gets injured again right before the TDL.

Helm would fit in perfectly on a bottom 6 on any of the playoff teams. Hard forechecker who can also PK and play center if need be.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Helm would fit in perfectly on a bottom 6 on any of the playoff teams. Hard forechecker who can also PK and play center if need be.

Easy to say.
But look at these teams. Not sure why they would want Helm. Guys like him are a dime a dozen. If he'd been at C for the last 4 years winning 54 percent of faceoffs or something, then maybe he'd have some value.
But I went through these teams and didn't find any team screaming to pay for Helm $2M or more next season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Mike Green has 2 goals and 5 assists in 32 games.
Few teams have need for RHD. I think you'd be very lucky to get a second for Green. Maybe you get a prospect some team is close to giving up on.

In the list above, I showed several teams where Bernier would be a major upgrade as a backup. On Florida he might even start over Bobrovsky.
If you ate half his salary, he'd be a $1.5M cap hit backup.

In today's NHL, you need a backup goalie. Bernier is really increasing his trade value over the last month or so.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah. I'm inclined to think that guys like Daley and Bowey have lost all trade value to other teams. Glendening, Green, and Bernier probably carry the highest value for us. The rest of them are just going to have to be let go or packaged with one of the three, but I doubt anyone takes that unless they have a problem contract to dump on us for the next couple of years.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
No way he gets a first.

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
Mike Green has 2 goals and 5 assists in 32 games.
Few teams have need for RHD. I think you'd be very lucky to get a second for Green. Maybe you get a prospect some team is close to giving up on.

In the list above, I showed several teams where Bernier would be a major upgrade as a backup. On Florida he might even start over Bobrovsky.
If you ate half his salary, he'd be a $1.5M cap hit backup.

In today's NHL, you need a backup goalie. Bernier is really increasing his trade value over the last month or so.

I don't see a team like Florida, or Calgary, or Edmonton making it a priority to acquire a backup goalie for playoffs. Those are teams who are fighting for wild card spots, not contending for the cup, and would have more pressing needs. And regardless, if you are a contending team looking to add a solid veteran backup, I think you will heavily consider playoff track record, of which Bernier's isn't very good. Of course if there's some team out there willing to toss a pick our way, who here wouldn't be thrilled with that?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hasn't played a ton this year either but Trevor Daley could prolly be added to this list. I could see a team giving up a conditional something to have him come in an settle down the 6th or 7th defense-men for a playoff team. I could see the Penguins making a play for him if we keep a significant amount of cap.

Luke Glendening - 2nd.
AA - 2nd/3rd.
Mike Green - 4th.
Jonathan Bernier - 4th.
Darren Helm - 7th/lower prospect.
Trevor Daley - 7th/lower prospect.

I don't expect all these guys to get moved, but if they did it wouldn't surprise me. I for sure expect at least 1 guy to be moved from this list.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't see a team like Florida, or Calgary, or Edmonton making it a priority to acquire a backup goalie for playoffs. Those are teams who are fighting for wild card spots, not contending for the cup, and would have more pressing needs. And regardless, if you are a contending team looking to add a solid veteran backup, I think you will heavily consider playoff track record, of which Bernier's isn't very good. Of course if there's some team out there willing to toss a pick our way, who here wouldn't be thrilled with that?

Didn't a wild card team just win the cup? I mean maybe more than any league, if you make the show(playoffs) you've got a shot.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The more I think about it though, Darren Helm could be pretty useful on a team like Toronto/Boston. Veteran guy who knows how to be annoying and kill penalty's. Wings would have to eat like 70% of salary though so a team could be comfortable with Helm for a year.

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
Didn't a wild card team just win the cup? I mean maybe more than any league, if you make the show(playoffs) you've got a shot.

A team that is going to get in via wild card will be more apt to give the existing group a shot, whereas the favoured contenders are the ones where the GM feels he owes it to the group to go get them the added support they need for the cup run.

At the end the day, what does a wild card team need backup goalie depth for? They will be underdogs with their starter in net. If you're the Florida Panthers and you get into the playoffs with the last wild card, you expect your $10 million dollar goalie to carry you, but you're still big underdogs to Boston or Washington.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Bobrovsky has a save % under .900??? Wow. Remember when he was unbeatable? Yeah, this is exactly why I do not want to draft a goalie top 5....

Bobrovsky is 31. From that same draft year, the top 5 picks were:

1) Kane
2) van Reimsdyk
3) Turris
4) Hickey
5) Alzner

If you took the top 2 defenders, neither are even in the NHL today. Give me Bob over anyone but Kane on that list easy.

"Yeah, this is exactly why I do not want to draft a defender in the top 5..." What I'm saying is, it's pretty easy to look at a goalie who falls off and go, "See! Risky!" and completely forget about the many other top 5 prospects that flame out before 30.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
A team that is going to get in via wild card will be more apt to give the existing group a shot, whereas the favoured contenders are the ones where the GM feels he owes it to the group to go get them the added support they need for the cup run.

At the end the day, what does a wild card team need backup goalie depth for? They will be underdogs with their starter in net. If you're the Florida Panthers and you get into the playoffs with the last wild card, you expect your $10 million dollar goalie to carry you, but you're still big underdogs to Boston or Washington.

Idk honestly, I don't think it'd be a priority. Not suggesting that, but, I can definitely see Florida making a deal for a goalie if the price was right. Why? Cause there 10 million dollar goalie isn't exactly cutting it right now.

I mean if you're the Panthers GM, and the only goalie deal you had on the line was Bernier for a 4th round pick plus prospect... You really not doing it? You gonna roll with the current back up goalies?

Assuming Bernier keeps playing well... depending on the cost I can see teams interested. Especially teams with a struggling goalie or struggling goalie tandem. Idk if it's any teams major priority though honestly to acquire a back up goalie... lol. Just if the price is right and the situation calls for it.

What would really get things interesting is if a team in the hunt actually suffered a injury to their starting goalie.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bobrovsky is 31. From that same draft year, the top 5 picks were:

1) Kane
2) van Reimsdyk
3) Turris
4) Hickey
5) Alzner

If you took the top 2 defenders, neither are even in the NHL today. Give me Bob over anyone but Kane on that list easy.

"Yeah, this is exactly why I do not want to draft a defender in the top 5..." What I'm saying is, it's pretty easy to look at a goalie who falls off and go, "See! Risky!" and completely forget about the many other top 5 prospects that flame out before 30.

Do you disagree that goalie is a very volatile position and it’s more common than not that their play fluctuates a lot as opposed to being consistent?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Do you disagree that goalie is a very volatile position and it’s more common than not that their play fluctuates a lot as opposed to being consistent?

All goalies or top goalie selections?

I'm just asking because you said you wouldn't want volatile Bob, who went undrafted, instead of the top 2 defensive prospects in Hickey and Alzner, neither of which are even in the NHL anymore. I just think it's noteworthy you would have been happy with an Alzner pick and furious with a goalie pick in that instance.

Of course I want a home run top 5 defender pick, but if that's not available... I want the great goalie. Lots and lots of these top skaters do not turn out as good as MAF, so I don't have a "no goalie" rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->