Scouting Reports for Top 2008 Prospects

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I'm looking for information on top prospects for next years draft. Guys like Stamkos, Doughty, Del Zotto, Beach, Pietrangelo, Hayes, Teubert, Wilson, Poulin, Filatov, etc. It doesn't even have to be a top 15-20 guy, I'm just looking for scouting reports (or any video clips would be cool) or any kind of information on prospects for next years draft.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
You're in luck- this week's Bugg Bytes is all about the 2008 Draft. Part I features scouting reports on the top ten players from the eastern part of the CHL.

Summer of '08- Part I

In preparation for next year, I've put together a top 165, with 120 of those ranked and 90 of those given scouting reports. It's the most diverse list you'll see at this time of year- the top 30 OHL players, top 25 WHLers and QMJHLers, as well as rankings for the USNTDP, USHS, USHL, Europe, and Canadian Jr. A. No word yet on how we plan to distribute it.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
You're in luck- this week's Bugg Bytes is all about the 2008 Draft. Part I features scouting reports on the top ten players from the eastern part of the CHL.

Summer of '08- Part I

In preparation for next year, I've put together a top 165, with 120 of those ranked and 90 of those given scouting reports. It's the most diverse list you'll see at this time of year- the top 30 OHL players, top 25 WHLers and QMJHLers, as well as rankings for the USNTDP, USHS, USHL, Europe, and Canadian Jr. A. No word yet on how we plan to distribute it.

I read your article as soon as it came out, awesome write up, thank you very much. That is actually what triggered me asking this, I'm interested in getting some scouting reports on other players. I can't wait to see the rest of your list/scouting reports. Any idea how soon it will be coming out?

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site

Summer of '08- Part I

I only skimmed the scouting reports at that link, but one thing that jumped out at me was your description of Pietrangelo as a "terrifying hitter" and a "Scott Stevens clone". No offense, but that is WAY off the mark. As suggested by another poster in another thread, his game is much more akin to Lidstrom's than Stevens'.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

Summer of '08- Part I

That article is awesome! I've seen Doughty and Stamkos play the most and both of your assesments are great. I've been watching Doughty play forever way back to his days as a Junior Knight, I even remember his days when he played centre and was the best player on a very strong '89 Junior Knights team.

CapGoodie

Feb 19, 2007
New Scotland
I only skimmed the scouting reports at that link, but one thing that jumped out at me was your description of Pietrangelo as a "terrifying hitter" and a "Scott Stevens clone". No offense, but that is WAY off the mark. As suggested by another poster in another thread, his game is much more akin to Lidstrom's than Stevens'.

Yeah, that really can't be ignored. I've enjoyed that site from time to time, but when you see something that 100% completely at odds with what anyone who has watched Alex play would say....there's def a problem. It's really not even a matter of opinion, no one in their right mind would describe Alex P as that style of player.

Not trying to give Mr.Bugg a hard time or anything, but if your reading this thread you should realy consider changing that - it'll only embarass you if you repeat that view within earshot of anyone who watches the kid play.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be another a-hole with a differing opinion. I've watched him about 25 times myself, but more than that ask any Ice Dog STH, anyone who covered the Ice Dogs, or anyone with the org itself, heck call coach Gilbert if you must - anyone who has seen this kid play knows he's not anything like that style of player.

Stuff like that doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of your work (even though I personally find good quality on your site) and I sincerely do wish Dobber Hockey and yourself the best of luck with it - so I'd think about giving that one scouting report a second look and perhaps examine how you ended up with it in the first place.

X-SHARKIE

Yeah that confused me as well.

Also, I believe as Stamkos' adds some meat to his bones he will have a Modano like top gear. He can absolutely fly, evidence by his end to end rushes in the OHL and U-18's last year.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I'd agree with all of you- anyone who'd write that about Alex Pietrangelo would be an idiot. Which is why it wasn't about Pietrangelo. As was said, any time you see something so far off, you have to wonder where it came from- and in this case, it came from copy/pasting incorrectly from within my 'super list'. I have Luke Schenn ranked number two amongst WHL prospects, and thinking '#2', I grabbed his report again to put under Pietrangelo's name, which I had already filled out.

So you can rest easy. I'm not braindead- just clumsy. :)

PS- I did in fact proofread it. I saw the +40 under Pietrangelo's name, and went 'Hmm, something's not right... WAIT... I never highlighted his huge +/-!" :dunce:

Edit: Here's what the scouting report was supposed to be:

"3. Alex Pietrangelo, D (Niagara IceDogs)

Height/Weight: 6'3, 192 lbs
2006-07 Statline: 59 GP, 7-45-52, +40, 45 PIM

Scouting Report: Can control a game from the right point. Literally loves it when challenged- sports a big grin under even the heaviest pressure. Crackling wrist shot is the best on a defenseman in quite some time.

Potential: Franchise defenseman, 15-50-65, +25, 40 PIM"

Last edited:

whockeynut

Jun 19, 2007
I believe that next year's draft is going to be one of the best of all-time in terms of the # of star players coming out of it.

I absolutely agree that the Top 10 pics in 08 have NHL Star potential

stamkos
doughty
Pietrangelo
beach
filatov
boychuk
delzotto
schenn
Motin
wilson

Very rich draft has a lot of NHL scouts excited and holding their cards close...

stmikes76

Nov 25, 2004
Too suggest that Stamkos does not have high end speed is laughable. However this list is very generic if you want something with more substance, might I suggest suscribing to McKeen's Hockey as they have extensive scouting reports and tell you more about a player than simply stats and a few catch words type of scouting report. Trust me you will not be disappointed, the difference is like a Brooks shoe to a pair of Asics. Nevertheless keep up the good work whose ever sight that is!

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Anybody else? Doesn't even have to be top guys, just anybody, I think this could be a good source of information for everybody.

bergy37*

i can give you some info on Zach Boychuk bieng from Lethbridge and seing the majority of the Hurricanes games this season. Boychuk is a very speedy and shifty player, he is great with the puck and is a great stick handler. he is a great passer and has really good vision on the ice. he has a good shot, maybe doesnt use it enough, he is good in the shootout. he isnt a defensive liability unlike most offensive players. the only really bad thing about him is size, standing at 5'9" and 165lbs.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
4 possibilities from Spokane, if you want to know about them all, in order I think they'll be drafted:

1. Mitch Wahl (C) - Good size (6'0, around 175), in my time in Spokane, possibly the best forward I've seen here. skating style similiar to Scott Gomez. Great hands, fantastic passer, underrated shot. Played the point on the PP in his 16 year old season as a forward, has a heavy shot. Not afraid to go into the corners, his feet are always moving. He's also got a bit of an edge to his game, proving he can drop the mits if need be. I project him to be a top 10 pick next year.

2. Dustin Tokarski (G) - Led his midget team to a Telus Cup championship on a team that featured Matt Robertson amongst others. Smallish goaltender, listed at 5'11" 173lbs in the Chiefs media guide, it's more like 5'9" if you ask me though. Strong butterfly style, plays the game with tremendous poise. Took over the starting job from the highly-touted Kevin Armstrong in the playoffs and performed admirably against the top team in the CHL (Everett). With a good season, he could be a 2nd rounder.

3. Mike Reddington (D) - 6'0" 200lb right hand shooting defenseman. His game reminds me a little of Barrett Jackman, in that he's not the most physical guy in the league, but he plays the game with an edge and will answer the call to protect his teammates. Has captain written all over him, plays a solid defensive game. Only downside might be offensive upside, he scored only 1 goal this season. Maybe with more PP time or even ice time next season he will improve that stat. I look for him to be a leader on a young Chief club. Like Tokarski, with a good season could be as high as a 2nd round pick, but most likely 3rd or 4th.

4. Jared Spurgeon (D) - Makes Kris Russell look like a physical specimen. Need I say more? 5'9" 160lb defenseman, it's more like 5'7" 150, may be overlooked a bit since he's been injured for the good majority of his young junior career, but when he's been in the lineup he has already proven that he has extremely high upside offensively. Smooth skater, amazing passer and a surprisingly strong shot for a small player. Has been compared to Kris Russell at times, definately has the skill to be a 70 point defenseman in the WHL, but he just needs to stay healthy. Younger brother of Tyler Spurgeon (EDM), he could be picked in the 6th or 7th round if he has a good season. If he has the type of season he's really capable of, could mirror Kris Russell and jump into the 3rd round.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad