Scouting report on the draft

turnbuckle*

I posted this on the Habs board, figured i may as well put it here too.

I spent the majority of yesterday afternoon having beverages with an NHL scout , and I followed that up with a phone call to another one who I highly respect - they're both heading to Vancouver tomorrow.

Heard lots of interesting stuff, including that Fischer is the biggest "idiot" of the draft. Mr. Fischer spent the majority of his combine interviews espousing his greatness and putting down his coaching - and I mean "really" putting down his coaching. This was not an isolated thing - Fischer managed to turn off pretty much every team he interviewed, and the scouts had a running joke going after awhile. One scout told me that he ran into a colleague partway through the interviews, and he said "Did you interview the idiot yet?" He asked who it was, and the fellow scout replied 'Oh, you'll know when you talk to him."

The next time he met scouts in the hallway, others began talking about whether others had interviewed "the idiot" - he was perhaps
the most obnoxious interview they had ever had. It became a running joke.

Both scouts concurred that there's not a lot of difference between the 2nd and 7th prospects. The one that spends a lot of time out west was quite impressed with Mueller, and would be tempted to pick him over both Kessel and Brassard. "They're all so close," he said. "But I saw Mueller play some outstanding games. He's really smart and skilled."

Anyway - Berglund got a big thumbs down from these scouts - they're not sold on him being a first rounder, let alone a top 20 pick. Not smart with the puck; has a tendency to try to go end-to-end with the puck. Not always willing to put in the effort.

Stewart will be a great pick at 16 if he's there, but these scouts doubt that he'll last that long. BTW - both said they would take Stewart over Frolik.

I asked both of them who their top defenceman is after Johnson -
- both of them said Summers and Sanguinetti. I asked them if Summers was a top 20 pick, and they both concurred.

As for Little - they both have him in their top 10.

Okposo wasn't as popular as I thought he would be - in fact one of the scouts has Okposo rated after Little, Tlusty, and Sheppard.
"He's an enigma," said one scout. "I saw him play four times - he didn't seem to have a defined role. He didn't score, he didn't playmake...and had one shot on goal. I wasn't very impressed."

I asked the same scout about Kessel - he had him ranked 7th. "I don't like him," said the scout. "I see selfishness. I could see him maybe being on his third team before he's a star; that type of player." The scout concurred that Kessel was one of the players at the under-18s that didn't sign the sweater for the disabled equipment trainer that Jack Johnson asked his teammates to sign. "Johnson got him to sign it in a hurry."

Grabner was considered a top 20 pick by both scouts, they like his skill.

Neither scout has Giroux rated in the top 20, but they like him in the first round. Vishnevsky and Williams are not listed in either scouts' top 30.

Foligno versus White - they like both players, but Foligno is considered to be better. "He's a better skater than White and smarter" said one scout.

These are the scouts' top 17 picks:

Johnson
Staal
Toews
Backstrom
Mueller
Kessel
Brassard
Little
Tlusty
Sheppard
Okposo
Stewart
Sanguinetti
Frolik
Summers
Bernier
Grabner

The more I hear about Summers; the more I think he'll be a good pick. Both think he'll be picked in the top 20.

McBain got mixed reviews a solid character but lacking the defensive skills/size to be a first rounder. Maxwell was also not considered to be first-round material, same with Clutterbuck.

Anisimov, Varlamov and Alexandrov are the most coveted Russians with both scouts - Vasyunov too much of a hot and cold player to be considered for the first round.

Burki and Geoffrion are not first rounders according to these scouts, nor is Emmerton, but they all should go in the 2nd round.

Lewis - 3rd rounder. Said a scout: "He's not the most willing guy."

Nigel Williams - neither are fans. Said one scout "He doesn't have a clue how to play defence. Great athlete, but that's it."

Wishart - they see him going in the first round, but both have problems with his first step. "He's slow footed," said one, which surprised me. Neither is impressed by his aggressiveness, or lack thereof.

Vishnevsky - "Some shifts he looks like a world beater, so much skating talent, but he's really poor in his own zone; he just bails out. Too much of a risk to take in the first round"

Mathias - A solid second rounder after his Under 18 performance, not necessarily before. "I like him - he competes," said a scout. "He's non-stop."

Last edited by a moderator:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
If nobody wants Emmerton in the first round, I'd hope the Wings nab him at 29. I'd prefer that they get a guy with more size and grit, but Emmerton could really be a gem. He plays great 2 way hockey from what I've read, and he just had a breakout year with 90 points. A 2 way forward that can put up a lot of points is always something you look at.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Very interesting stuff. Thanks.

The Fischer thing is pretty funny. Sounds like he blew his chance at the first round.

I'm not surprised that Summers is liked. He sounds like he's a perfect new NHL defenceman with his skating ability.I'd really like him to fall to #28.

The thing about Nigel Williams is the sense I've gotten from his reports. He sounds like Wade Belak. Big and mobile, but can't understand the game.

X-SHARKIE

Fischer probally just took bad advice on how to go about his business in these interviews. I played with him at Shattucks St Prep schools mid-western exposure camp and he was very nice to anyone and never came off as the bragging type despite having a full ride scholarship to Minnesota in his back pocket.

I don't buy he has character issues, just had poor interview skills.

turnbuckle*

X-SHARKIE said:
Fischer probally just took bad advice on how to go about his business in these interviews. I played with him at Shattucks St Prep schools mid-western exposure camp and he was very nice to anyone and never came off as the bragging type despite having a full ride scholarship to Minnesota in his back pocket.

I don't buy he has character issues, just had poor interview skills.

You don't buy he has character issues? That's all fine and dandy, but it's the NHL scouts he has to impress, not fellow players at a camp (no disrespect intended). Anyone dumb enough to draw the wrath of the entire scouting fraternity has character issues if you ask me, and it's going to drop him out of the first round I suspect.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Alexander the Great said:
I wonder how far "the idiot" drops on draft day

Kinda mean for grown, professional, men to be picking on a nervous 17 year old kid, on the most important day of his life. Not to sound like a poo-c or anything, but hopefully this kid never finds out he was a "running joke" at the combine.

X-SHARKIE

turnbuckle said:
You don't buy he has character issues? That's all fine and dandy, but it's the NHL scouts he has to impress, not fellow players at a camp (no disrespect intended). Anyone dumb enough to draw the wrath of the entire scouting fraternity has character issues if you ask me, and it's going to drop him out of the first round I suspect.

Understood, yeah it was a bold/bad move on his part but maybe he impressed one scout with his confidence in his own abilities? Just saying he was a good teammate to have.

espo*

Very interesting stuff. I just can't wait to see where Kessel lands.Are scouts playing possum about this guy or are they really that concerned about things like his attitude and other questions that have been raised about his game this year. I mean,the talent is definately there.Will a few teams by-pass it or will a team just say he has too much potential to pass up and take him in the first few spots?.

We'll find out soon.My guess is he does'nt go past five in any way shape or form and will probably go top three regardless of what people/scouts are saying.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
turnbuckle said:

Robbie Schremp was apparently somewhat obnoxious in some of his interviews, and coupled with the fact that he was selfish he slipped to 25. No one could mistake Fischer for Schremp and therefore there is no chance that Fischer will be a 1st rounder.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
rt said:
Kinda mean for grown, professional, men to be picking on a nervous 17 year old kid, on the most important day of his life. Not to sound like a poo-c or anything, but hopefully this kid never finds out he was a "running joke" at the combine.

How could I disagree more?

Mean? Picking on? Hey, sounds like life to me. Every other kid was close to the same age and was also nervous. It's an interview. FOR THE NHL.

Hopefully he DOES find out that he was a running joke and understands why. I can't believe you would hope the kid carries on ignorant to the fact that he is a clown. Sounds like he needs a wake up call.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
WrightOn said:
How could I disagree more?

Mean? Picking on? Hey, sounds like life to me. Every other kid was close to the same age and was also nervous. It's an interview. FOR THE NHL.

Hopefully he DOES find out that he was a running joke and understands why. I can't believe you would hope the kid carries on ignorant to the fact that he is a clown. Sounds like he needs a wake up call.

I think you got me wrong. If the kid is a pompus ***, then rate him lower. You don't need to clown on him all day in the hall, though.

His wake up call will come draft day, when instead of sneaking into the first round, he plummets to the late third.

Either he'll gain maturity, or he won't. Jokes at his expense, aren't any help.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
That's a really funny story about Fischer. He's actually a guy I was hoping the Sens would target at #28...it will be interesting to see if he falls severely on draft day because of the interviews. I think I'll revise my draft list accordingly.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
turnbuckle said:

First of all, thanks for the information. very informative on many levels. That being said, I think the term "character issues" is being thrown around a bit too easily here. Yeah, it appears that Fischer didn't approach his interviews properly, but I don't think that makes him a bad kid. I'm sure this will affect where he goes in the draft, but if teams use his interviews as the sole reason to bypass him, well I have a problem with that.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Havlat9 said:
That's a really funny story about Fischer. He's actually a guy I was hoping the Sens would target at #28...it will be interesting to see if he falls severely on draft day because of the interviews. I think I'll revise my draft list accordingly.

Can I ask why? I don't think the combine interview process should ultimately sway a team's decision when it comes to selecting a player, especially a player like Fischer who will likely get ample opportunity to mature through 2+ years at school. You take away a bad set of interviews and you still have a very talented player who can sit in a team's back pocket for a few years.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Puckhead said:
Robbie Schremp was apparently somewhat obnoxious in some of his interviews, and coupled with the fact that he was selfish he slipped to 25. No one could mistake Fischer for Schremp and therefore there is no chance that Fischer will be a 1st rounder.

While your math is simple, I don't think comparing Schremp to Fischer is simple at all. They are very differant players and people who come from totally differant backgrounds and will take totally differant roads to reach the NHL.

Last edited:

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Interesting stuff, turnbuckle. Thanks. As a Ducks fan, I'd be happy to see them nab Grabner. Assuming they retain the 19th pick overall, there's a good chance he'll still be on the board. Of course, that's assuming that other scouts haven't rated him as high, or higher, than the two scouts that you talked to did.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
First of all, thanks for the information. very informative on may levels. That being said, I think the term "character issues" is being thrown around a bit too easily here. Yeah, it appears that Fischer didn't approach his interviews properly, but I don't think that makes him a bad kid. I'm sure this will affect where he goes in the draft, but if teams use his interviews as the sole reason to bypass him, well I have a problem with that.

Furthermore, it only takes one team who didn't share the view to buck the trend. It's easy to say: "well, two scouts told me a few guys thought the guy was a joke so that means he's going to fall several rounds" and this may be true for the most part, but it only takes one team having him high on their list to pick him.

We see this all the time. I'm sure that most teams didn't ahve Setoguchi as a top 15 pick last year. The Sharks saw something they liked a lot and acted on it. Also, one scout's opinion doesn't mean a team will act upon that. Last year I sat beside a Western Conference scout who was very clearly extremely high on a certain player from the start to the finish of the season. Yet, come draft day, his team actually traded away the pick that was ultimately used to select that player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad