Speculation: Scouting in Eastern Europe is the new trend of Detroit to Russia & Sweden in the 90's

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Figured I would start this topic cause it interests me. In the 90's our organization made a killing by taking valid looks at numerous players between Russia and Sweden due to no one else investing in taking looks there.

For around the past 3-5 years we appear to have once again found a new cutting edge of Chech (probably really engrished that one right here :sarcasm:) and Slovak talent that according to major scouting pipelines is on the lower end of reputability.

Not all the players will be home runs and some we didn't even draft but look at how so far some of these players have done so far: Jurco, Tatar, Mrazek, Nesty (recently claimed by Carolina), Trvdon, and Nosek (not drafted but scouted by us).

Do any of you believe that this could be a new talent pipeline that the Det organization is ahead of the time on?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
one has to remember that nesty, mrazek and tvrdon had played one year in CHL before they were drafted. jurco played two.

of course that could've made them rise higher on the draft list. scouts from both continents liked them.

as poster above said, hard to say, time will tell. maybe it's coincidence, maybe not.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Do any of you believe that this could be a new talent pipeline that the Det organization is ahead of the time on?

In order for the Red Wings to continue to have long-term draft success they need to look where no one else is looking and take chances on players no one else will. I don't think that philosophy applies to only one or two regions, however. I think it's coincidence.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
I doubt it, scouting seems to still improve and all european leagues are dryed up compared to what they were in the 90's. Altho I'v heard the Czhech's are working on their development of younger players and tryin to do what Sweden and Finland did a couple of years ago, wich realy showed great results.
But I think most eastern european prospects will look to develop in Canadian Junior leagues or maybe in other european leagues like KHL, SHL or in finland or something.
If its a good players he will most likely play in a well scouted league.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well they have drafted a player from Sweden 10+ years in a row. So they definitely have not shifted away from drafting there at all.

They have stopped drafting from Russia altogether with meaningful picks, which I personally hate.

They've had good luck with Czechs and Slovaks, I hope they continue to draft them.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Well they have drafted a player from Sweden 10+ years in a row. So they definitely have not shifted away from drafting there at all.

They have stoppes drafting from Russia altogether with meaningful picks, which I personally hate.

They've had good luck with Czechs and Slovaks, I hope they continue to draft them.

Didn't mean to say we don't draft anymore from Sweden or Russia but that when they weren't combed over by numerous scouts we struck while the oil was rich.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like Czech and Slovak players were a hot commodity in the late 90's and early 2000's, and then the league trended away from drafting there in the late 2000's. (source: http://m.thn.com/articles/35336-Tom...-Slovak-player-development-is-in-decline.html)

Seems like right around that time Detroit decided to target the area pretty good, and it had paid off. I think TZE has pointed out this is something they like to do, though not sure of what the other examples are.

It's a pretty bold strategy.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
One thing I hear a lot from Detroits management when talking about Czechs and Slovaks like Tatar and Hudler is how they've been playing pro hockey against men from the age of 18/19. Seems like a big deal to them.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
One thing I hear a lot from Detroits management when talking about Czechs and Slovaks like Tatar and Hudler is how they've been playing pro hockey against men from the age of 18/19. Seems like a big deal to them.

So kinda like the "new" SEL or FEL. Not trying to compare to those two in talent but the fact that the late teens players are going against men per say?

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
It could just be the Red Wings have more connections and access to information (i.e. players attitudes, if they want to play in NA, work ethic, etc...) in those countries thanks to Fischer and Co. I doubt the reason we are drafting out of these countries because other teams aren't scouting them as well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Wings have made a point of going to undervalued leagues and areas throughout most of Holland's tenure with the team as a pillar of Devellano's philosophies. In the mid 80's they went hard after college free agents. In the late 80's and 90's they went to Europe. Lately they have taken a liking to players in the Q, heading to the NCAA and now the territory formerly known as Czechoslovakia.

It really is a hallmark of their scouting principles. Where are teams not paying close enough attention? On most of the guys that wound up in the CHL, they have admitted to having a book on them to play close attention before they ever showed up.

It is what makes them good at what they do, they keep areas they have strong, but often look for the weaknesses in their opposition. You see this a lot in their drafting philosophy though the years. They don't get stuck on one idea or league.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
It could just be the Red Wings have more connections and access to information (i.e. players attitudes, if they want to play in NA, work ethic, etc...) in those countries thanks to Fischer and Co. I doubt the reason we are drafting out of these countries because other teams aren't scouting them as well.

Doesn't hurt that Jiri Fischer was one of the assistants for the World Juniors in 2012 and is still in their Country's system of coaches and player development staff.

I think the next spot to watch is Germany. A bunch of their players have started coming over to the CHL and are now playing in the AHL/NHL. Wasn't until about 6 years ago that you could barely find a player good enough to play in the CHL, let alone get into the NHL. With a few exceptions over the years, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad