Scouting - A Discussion of Mike Gillis' Ideas

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Part of the reason Benning was hired was because he somehow convinced Trevor and the Aqualini's that he could basically retool on the fly and not have to rebuild.
Well that is what the organization wanted because it wasn’t fair to the Sedins to do otherwise.

but retool can rebuild isn’t what got Gillis canned.

he wasn’t likely selling rebuild when he signed his extension in 2012. Otherwise Aquaman either doesn’t extend him or fires him then. Would have had to agree on the direction of the team in the next 3 years at that point in time.

but when things didn’t go well and they won their weaker division but finished third in the conference and got taken out by SJ. Gillis wanted to change direction. Aquaman probably wanted to maintain the contend course and likely angry that Gillis wants to flip from that direction to rebuild in a year. He does this after being armed with a five year extension the prior summer.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Part of the reason Benning was hired was because he somehow convinced Trevor and the Aqualini's that he could basically retool on the fly and not have to rebuild.
Yawn...wrong...months before Benning was even hired, the organization signalled that they were not going to rebuild.....Linden refused to even say the word until 2017.

edit: Its what Streethawk says..^^^^^^

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Well that is what the organization wanted because it wasn’t fair to the Sedins to do otherwise.

but retool can rebuild isn’t what got Gillis canned.

he wasn’t likely selling rebuild when he signed his extension in 2012. Otherwise Aquaman either doesn’t extend him or fires him then. Would have had to agree on the direction of the team in the next 3 years at that point in time.

but when things didn’t go well and they won their weaker division but finished third in the conference and got taken out by SJ. Gillis wanted to change direction. Aquaman probably wanted to maintain the contend course and likely angry that Gillis wants to flip from that direction to rebuild in a year. He does this after being armed with a five year extension the prior summer.

I agree...they wanted to do right by the Sedins, I think it was the absolute wrong decision, but it was the classy one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree...they wanted to do right by the Sedins, I think it was the absolute wrong decision, but it was the classy one.
Seen NYR, Chi, LA basically tell their long time vets like Lundqvist, Doughty, Kopitar, Quick, Toews, Kane, Keith that they are rebuilding. Can’t let feelings get in the way.

like the Canucks in 2013, Gillis is the GM of record who put pen to paper on the twins last contract. Whether he truly wanted to do that or not he’s the GM who signed off on it. Let those contracts expire and you’re looking at potentially moving them at the 2014 TDL.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Seen NYR, Chi, LA basically tell their long time vets like Lundqvist, Doughty, Kopitar, Quick, Toews, Kane, Keith that they are rebuilding. Can’t let feelings get in the way.

like the Canucks in 2013, Gillis is the GM of record who put pen to paper on the twins last contract. Whether he truly wanted to do that or not he’s the GM who signed off on it. Let those contracts expire and you’re looking at potentially moving them at the 2014 TDL.

Most definitely. The Sedins are my 2nd and 3rd favorite Canucks of all time, but time is the enemy of all things...it was time to move on and move forward.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He was never given a chance to rebuild, though. His only relatively high draft picks were Horvat and Hodgson. Horvat looks like a fantastic pick that gets better with age, and Hodgson had a freak career-ending injury but still was a decent pick given who went after him. The only other potential example to go off is that he was rumoured to want Larkin at 6th overall in 2014. I guess the Luongo for Markstrom + Matthias trade was also a rebuilding move which was a slam dunk.

Saying Gillis was a poor GM at rebuilding when he was denied a rebuild is ridiculous.

what he didn’t do well was extending a core way past its prime, a la doug wilson

but no one else has ever accomplished that either

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The question to them ask is how many other teams give their GM or President that type of control?

if the answer is less than 5 likely means he’s asking for way more than what the industry gives out.

Exactly. He's only looking to be a President, not a GM. He didn't get the NJ or Panthers job either. That's why I thought he would have fit either Vegas or Seattle, as they are brand new teams with no organizational structure. It would be easier to implement a structure like his, then try to impose it on a current team.

I suppose he can afford to wait for the perfect opportunity. But I don't think it will come.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Exactly. He's only looking to be a President, not a GM. He didn't get the NJ or Panthers job either. That's why I thought he would have fit either Vegas or Seattle, as they are brand new teams with no organizational structure. It would be easier to implement a structure like his, then try to impose it on a current team.

I suppose he can afford to wait for the perfect opportunity. But I don't think it will come.
we know he met with Seattle. vegas, came into the nhl in 2017, but mcphee was hired in july 2016. unless Gillis was ready to get back into the game 2 years after he was fired, he missed an opportunity there. I do not foresee this perfect opportunity for him ever coming.

Reactions: Bubbles

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
we know he met with Seattle. vegas, came into the nhl in 2017, but mcphee was hired in july 2016. unless Gillis was ready to get back into the game 2 years after he was fired, he missed an opportunity there. I do not foresee this perfect opportunity for him ever coming.

He also signed on to the board of directors for a Swiss hockey team around that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->