Scotty Bowmans biggest mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

3-3 Tie 1975 Habs-Red Army;

Scoring champ is moved to second line; Cournoyer is moved to first line with Shutt and Mahov; gets star and scores goal but misses a hundred chances on top line.

Scoring champ is relegated to second line with Bob (cant find the side of barn with slap shot) Gainey.

Needless tie. No reason for shuffling.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
However, I would argue that one postive that came out of that tie along with the Flyers crushing victory over the Red Army team, Scotty realized he needed to get meaner. So though the game was tie and we should have won, in the long run, it showed Scotty he needed to make a few changes on the roster and in the end, things turned out for the better.

acr*

A tie in an exhibition match? I'd understand if it were something that could've cost his team a cup(or maybe just accepting the job in Buffalo :joker: ) as his biggest mistake, but I don't think it's a big deal that he moved a line and didn't even lose an exhibition match

chooch*

cassius said:
Leaving Pittsburgh and being a money grubbing whore.

[/homer]

:joker:

Tough crowd! I was reading a book which stated that Bowman never took a team and built them into a winner - that they were already there. Essentialy true especially considering his buffalo experience. He's still the best by far if you ask me. You can knock anyone you want if you really try hard but who would you rather have from teh modern era? Sather? Arbour? Shero? They all failed at some point. Even Blake had a great team you could say.

acr*

Everything points to Bowman being the best, but from what I've read I think Shiro was a great coach, I've heard stories about how his gameplans could shutdown the best players of the day(most notably Orr)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Yelling at Claude Lemieux's family in a parking lot.

That was a mistake. And he admitted as much later. Other than that, not much.

A career like Bowman's shouldn't generate much talk of mistakes.

We all know Ted Nolan's mistake. Pat Burns has made a string of them. Even somewhat successful Marc Crawford has made a big mistake.

But Bowman?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I had Scotty's younger brother as a college English teacher and I thought he should have graded me higher. You can consider that a family mistake.

newf

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
how about his messing with pierre larouches head for four years. the guy was a great goal scorer. he scored 50 with pittsburg, hartford and 48/49 with the rangers. he could have had 200 goals in his time in montreal.

i know he was lazy, but if you've ever read the game, you get the sense scotty was just being a bit sadistic with larouche. ended up being a huge waste of talent.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Not being able to get his Wings past the Devils in 1995. Then realizing he couldn't beat the trap he adopted one of his own aka the Left Wing Lock. After that the dreaded trap grew like a wild fire.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
newf said:
how about his messing with pierre larouches head for four years. the guy was a great goal scorer. he scored 50 with pittsburg, hartford and 48/49 with the rangers. he could have had 200 goals in his time in montreal.

i know he was lazy, but if you've ever read the game, you get the sense scotty was just being a bit sadistic with larouche. ended up being a huge waste of talent.
He actually had a 50 goal season with the Habs not Harford. He never scored more than 25 (45 games) with the Whalers. Larouche's biggest problem wasn't Bowman, it was staying healthy. He always put up good numbers when healthy.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Not being able to get his Wings past the Devils in 1995. Then realizing he couldn't beat the trap he adopted one of his own aka the Left Wing Lock. After that the dreaded trap grew like a wild fire.
He actually started using the Left Wing Lock with the Habs in the 70's with Roberts and Gainey.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Gee Wally said:
biggest mistake ?....probably being known for one of the most classless acts in Stanley Cup history...

http://www.bruins-legends.com/A/awrey.htm
Geez, don't ever piss off Wally, that's quite a memory. What happened there ? I don't remember, Awrey was a contributor to that team . Bowman would be ruthless on occasion and didn't worry about sentiment a whole lot, esp. in his Mtl. years but I'm drawing a blank on this one.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
chooch said:
what was the reason why DA was benched? :help:

He wasn't benched. That link should be renamed BruinsURBANlegends.com

Awrey didn't play at all in the playoffs thas year. He wasn't benched. Even if he HAD been benched, that wouldn't have prevented him from having his name on the cup.

Overall, this is a very crappy, fictional story.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Spending 3 years of beating on Uwe Kruup and then signing him to the 22 mill contract that may not have been insured. Marty LaPointe blew out Krupp's acl in the first Avs game and next year Krupp blew out his back in a fight with Pushor.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Gee Wally said:
biggest mistake ?....probably being known for one of the most classless acts in Stanley Cup history...

[url="http://www.bruins-legends.com/A/awrey.htm"]http://www.bruins-legends.com/A/awrey.htm[/url]
You're breaking my heart Wally:shakehead

Perhaps you should consider the overall crapiness of Awrey, before calling Bowman classless. Blame the late season emergence of Nyrop, and the versatility of Chawtraw and Wilson, not Bowman. When you have d-men like Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, Bouchard, Nyrop, Van Boxmeer, Chawtraw and Wilson, it's easy to see why a scrub like Awrey would be dropped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->