Scottie upshall

wizard17

Jul 9, 2005
With is recent performance in philly, what did you guys think about the future carrer of upshall ??

did you think He will be a third liner like tsn.ca think

Or He will be a better player.

what type of player you saw in him?

Ratfinklives

Nov 24, 2002
Visit site
It certainly doesn't look like him developing into a 25 goal 35 assist 60 point guy is out of the question. He's got a good skillset for the new league, he doesn't have the release to be a sniper but has a hard shot and good wheels, if the Flyers continue to build around an uptempo style of game he should fit in nicely.

Bryzga lol*

The Flyers are the perfect team for Upshall to develop with. They'll give him plenty of top-6 minutes and he'll get to learn with guys his age.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I've always seen him as a poor man's Ryan Smyth. Less goal scoring ability but similar grit and overall skillset.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Im seeing out of him maybe 30 goals, 40 assists...I figure thats about 100 points right there.

:biglaugh: No way is he better than Belak!!

Upshall had a chance to learn with several guys his age in Nashville/Milwaukee. They all did not possess the complete NHL skillset, but they were a good group when together none-the-less. Problem was due to the wing depth and the type of player/role he'll fill, the Preds could let him go. This breakout of his, I see, is due to two big factors. A much needed proverbial "change of scenery" and an opportunity to get quality minutes with no pressures attached - Philly isn't doing anything this season. With Nashville he spent much of the season injured or plaing behind Erat, Dumont, Sullivan, Hartnell, Karyia, and Radulov. That's a tough wing corps to crack.

So, in some respects I can see TSN's assessment, and have thought along the same lines at times, on the other hand I think he can deffinately hang in there with top 6 minutes. Two things that would concern me at this point is 1) his attitude can waiver, 2) he has missed big chunks of two seasons due to injury since turning pro, and 3) he can develope some bad habits including untimely bad penalties. But, he does have some skills, eh?

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He suffered a minor shouder separation last night and should miss 10-14 days.

I don't see the Smyth comparisons ... he's a much better skater, and most of his goals have been of the "pretty" variety ... not the in front/garbage goals Smyth is known for.

He reminds me very much of Justin Williams. Both with excellent speed, to create problems on the forecheck .. excellent and creating turnovers and on the penalty kill. He's a little bit more physical than Williams.

I can certainly see him finishing with 25-30 goals and 30-35 assists, while providing excellent all-around play.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He reminds me very much of Justin Williams. Both with excellent speed, to create problems on the forecheck .. excellent and creating turnovers and on the penalty kill. He's a little bit more physical than Williams.

I can certainly see him finishing with 25-30 goals and 30-35 assists, while providing excellent all-around play.

Actually, I see that too.

Upshall's versatility is really nice. He can be slotted anywhere from the 1st to 3rd line and fit in and do well. Great player to have and he's really surprised me so far.

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site

I don't see the Smyth comparisons ... he's a much better skater, and most of his goals have been of the "pretty" variety ... not the in front/garbage goals Smyth is known for.

Was a big Williams fan when he was with Philly and agree whole heartedly. Williams with more size. Both play the game at 100 MPH. VERY happy with his play since he's been in Philly. He's been on the Flyers "1st line" with Gagne/Carter (prior to Gagne getting injured) and he didn't look out of place at all. In fact, their line was the best line on the ice most nights.

I see him as a solid 2nd line guy for the Flyers next year.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach

Can this finally soothe the pain, for Flyers fans, from giving up on Williams too quickly? I think it does. Although, it would be nice to see Gagne and Williams together in their primes. I see Williams being a guy who one day ends up back as a Flyer.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can this finally soothe the pain, for Flyers fans, from giving up on Williams too quickly? I think it does. Although, it would be nice to see Gagne and Williams together in their primes. I see Williams being a guy who one day ends up back as a Flyer.

Williams wasn't "given up on" too quickly. He was traded for Dany Markov at a time when we desparately needed defenseman, and we never sniff game 7 on the ECF without making that trade.

The change to the "new" NHL certainly gave Williams a boost.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
that must be outdated. He will be a solid 2nd line winger for years to come, barring injury of course

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Williams wasn't "given up on" too quickly. He was traded for Dany Markov at a time when we desparately needed defenseman, and we never sniff game 7 on the ECF without making that trade.

The change to the "new" NHL certainly gave Williams a boost.

Semantics. Point is, it sucks we don't have Williams, and Upshall makes up for it a little. If we hadn't given away Weinrich, we certainly would have "sniffed" the ECF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad