Scott Stevens vs Larry Robinson

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Larry - 2 Norris, 1 conn smythe, 6 stanleys,

Scott - 1 conn smythe, 3 stanleys, 0 norris

Thought long and hard about Scott's shear physical game vs Larry's physical and offensive edge. Robinson did play on a much better Team.

I'm going with Big Bird as the winner but it's close.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Interesting comparison, since Larry Robinson's coaching, more than anything else, is what turned Scott Stevens from a very good all-round defenseman, to an elite defensive player.

I think they were basically equals in terms of defense, physicality, and discipline. Larry Robinson, however, was one of the better offensive defensemen in the league while dominating defensively, while Stevens gave up most of his offense to dominate defensively. Makes it pretty easy to pick Robinson overall. Slight leadership advantage to Scott Stevens though.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Interesting comparison, since Larry Robinson's coaching, more than anything else, is what turned Scott Stevens from a very good all-round defenseman, to an elite defensive player.

I think they were basically equals in terms of defense, physicality, and discipline. Larry Robinson, however, was one of the better offensive defensemen in the league while dominating defensively, while Stevens gave up most of his offense to dominate defensively. Makes it pretty easy to pick Robinson overall. Slight leadership advantage to Scott Stevens though.

That would be after Robinson's coaching.

Stevens wasn't known for his discipline earlier in his career.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
That would be after Robinson's coaching.

Stevens wasn't known for his discipline earlier in his career.

I know it was after Robinson's (and Lemaire's) coaching. Stevens showed what he could do with good coaching for a decade.

Robinson was lucky enough to have good coaching from the moment he stepped into the league.

MJB Devils23*

I think Larry Robinson is a sure fire top 10 defensemen of all-time. Stevens is more in the 30ish range.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I remember Stevens just in Devils uniform, but it's not like he was feared bodychecker and physical player even during his Capitals years?

Being Devil advocate - Stevens skills didnt disappear, it's not like he was going from PPG year ('94) to perennial 25 points campaings because of losing step. I'm pretty sure if would be necessary for Devils to have another PMD or PPQB D-man he would fit in that role without problems. But he didnt have to. There were Niedermayer and Rafalski later.

Everything what I try to point out is fact that sacrificing Stevens' offense for defense is always called like something wrong. But it's not like Coffey-style or... Bourque never sacrificed offense for defense and he is regarded as a better defenceman than Stevens, but Stevens turned Devils from Mickey-mouse team to mini-dynasty powerhouse.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
i dont see any way you could take stevens before big bird.

big bird was just a superior player.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Leadership

Excellent post except for the leadership part.

Robinson established himself as a leader within three season - ask Dave Schultz and Gary Dornhoefer. On the other hand Stevens left Washington under dubious circumstances while an established player.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Absolutely love both players since their junior days here in Kitchener and I have Robinson with the edge.
Not caring about rankings if I was forming a team to win the Stanley Cup and I had a chance to draft any d-man. Both Robinson and Stevens would be selected by me. (Orr, Lidstrom, Harvey, Bill White and Park would be the others)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah no doubt in my mind as well, Robinson wins this one. Stevens isn't a guy you kicked off your team either, but Robinson combined both offense and defense at the same time pretty much his whole career. Stevens never really excelled at both simultaneously. Not saying he was bad defensively in the 1980s or early 1990s when his offense was good, but it wasn't at Robinson's level and not at what Stevens eventually became.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
few guys in the history of this league have ever been more feared than scott stevens. i think a good argument can be made that larry robinson was one of them.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Still think Robinson's 1976-77 season is the best I've ever witnessed by a defenseman. I love Lafleur, but IMO Robinson was the team MVP that year. I recall Bowman managing the clock so well that Robinson actually played 18 or 19 minutes in a period of a playoff game.

Stevens never played anywhere close to that level.

I think Stevens had more good years than Robinson, but Robinson had more elite level years. Overall, Robinson probably had 3 or 4 years better than Stevens best. Both were incredibly durable though and it's a testament to their consistency that neither one was ever a minus player, despite their very long careers.

I'll take Robinson here, but that's no slight to Stevens, who is probably one of the 8 best NHL d-man I've ever seen.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Still think Robinson's 1976-77 season is the best I've ever witnessed by a defenseman. I love Lafleur, but IMO Robinson was the team MVP that year. I recall Bowman managing the clock so well that Robinson actually played 18 or 19 minutes in a period of a playoff game.

I think Stevens had more good years than Robinson, but Robinson had more elite level years. Overall, Robinson probably had 3 or 4 years better than Stevens best. Both were incredibly durable though and it's a testament to their consistency that neither one was ever a minus player, despite their very long careers.

I'll take Robinson here, but that's no slight to Stevens, who is probably one of the 8 best NHL d-man I've ever seen.

I was just thinking that Stevens' 1993-94 season was similar to Robinson's 1976-77 in some ways. Stevens, like Robinson, led the league in plus-minus and in even strength points by a defenceman. (Robinson was +120 with 66 ES points, Stevens was +53 with 50 ES points.)

But yeah, I'll take your word (and everything else I've heard) that Robinson's 76-77 was something else.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I have Robinson 8 and Stevens right behind him at 9.

Both players had incredibly great long careers both in the regular season and playoffs.

I gotta say, I'm more in line with Devil's ranking.
I'm not even sure how he ends up in the top 10 on your list. I mean I love Stevens to death and have since watching him with the Kitchener Rangers waaaay back in the day but...
D-men IMO all deserving of being higher ranked than Stevens in no particular order....
Orr
Bourque
Lidstrom
Harvey
Shore
Potvin
Robinson
Kelly
Chelios
Coffey
Fetisov
Salming
Park

And that's just what I could think of off the top of my head.
I can see someone possibly ranking Stevens in around 12-13 maybe but knocking 5 guys off of that list for 9th....I actually find that a little ridiculous but that's just me I guess.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC

Agreed 100%

Robinson was in my opinion the best player in the league in 76/77. He made forwards look and play so small it wasn't funny.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
few guys in the history of this league have ever been more feared than scott stevens. i think a good argument can be made that larry robinson was one of them.

Not so sure about that.

He had many willing fight partners throughout his career.

If you mean feared because he might knock your head off in open ice, then yes.

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010
Larry - 2 Norris, 1 conn smythe, 6 stanleys,

Scott - 1 conn smythe, 3 stanleys, 0 norris

Thought long and hard about Scott's shear physical game vs Larry's physical and offensive edge. Robinson did play on a much better Team.

I'm going with Big Bird as the winner but it's close.

Larry had the offense. Go with him by a fairly large margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad