Scott Stevens Impact As Coach?

Flame Demers*

For starters, I want to see Larsson get mean.

Just saw this after my post. YES YES AND YES.

larsson needs to play with an edge. im glad he played in north america during the lockout.

not sure if he could have gone overseas but that guy needs to get mean and gritty.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
Im curious what everyone think about Scott Stevens behind the bench. Our defense is strong, but can Scott make this defense a little more hard hitting and aggressive?

I think so. I bet Larsson is in very good Hands and can learn a lot from Stevens.

I wouldn't be against Stevens teaching the D to get more aggressive and hard-hitting :)

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
If we had Stevens on the bench, I'd be curious to see how the DeBoer-Tortorella incident in the playoffs would've played out.

Probably about the same. Stevens is an intense guy, but that kind of intensity in a coach doesn't often manifest. Especially a Devils coach who works for Lou and DeBoer, both Zen masters. Scotty will keep it professional for the most part.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Larsson will never ever be Stevens jr, no matter how much Stevens coaches him. I hope he learns to use his size a little more effectively and become a little better positionally on D, but I don't want him rushing around trying to light guys up. It's not his game and it never will be. He's closer to a Niedermayer than Stevens.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Not until Marty and elias are gone. we seen how well player turned coach did with jmac.its hard to take someone serious when you joked and played grab ass even if that person is Stevens.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Not until Marty and elias are gone. we seen how well player turned coach did with jmac.its hard to take someone serious when you joked and played grab ass even if that person is Stevens.

Let's be honest, this is Scott Stevens. The guy who Ken Daneyko looked in the eyes on the bench and KNEW they weren't going to lose in '95. This is one issue I'm not worried about at all.

Seriously though, all these "MOAR HITTINGNG" sentiments are going to be disappointed I think. We don't need six defensemen lining up everyone who tries to cross the blue line, and we don't need our defensemen trying to change their game from what obviously worked pretty well last season. Stevens was a great hitter, but above all, he knew when to play offense and when to play defense, when to go crazy and when to stay calm. That's what I want him to teach our kids.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
If Stevens is going to be a good Coach on the back end he needs to be a good communicator with the Dmen. larry was awesome in his communication, look at tall the Defenceman he took to the next level:Stevens, Blake, Niedermayer, Rafalski etc. Alot of those players won some serious hardwear under his watch. Stevens needs to do the same thing as larry, be a positive guy that the plays can talk to, learn from and develop into better players.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Patty and Marty are not defensemen and thus will not be working with Stevens so much

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
One thing that worries me about Stevens as a coach is most of his hits would be suspendable in todays wussy NHL. Hope he teaches them to be tougher, but not hit quite like he did.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
martys book mentioned a particularly deflating stevens moment in the 01 finals. lets hope stevens can communicate effectively now

kamil27

Jan 10, 2013
One thing that worries me about Stevens as a coach is most of his hits would be suspendable in todays wussy NHL. Hope he teaches them to be tougher, but not hit quite like he did.

true..only wish it was back at the glory days

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Maclean was a **** coach anyway, even when he was assistant. Not the abysmal one we saw as head coach though.

With that said I don't ever wanna see Scott Stevens as head coach of this team.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Wayne Gretzky coached the Yotes and they sucked like hell. His skillset didn't rub off on the team.

What I'm trying to say is that you can't coach grit or natural talent. You either have it or you don't, it's not something that will come along eventually... especially not at the NHL level.

I wasn't in love with the way Larsson played when he first started out cause he looked timid and almost afraid at times. For a teenager, as a rookie d-men, it's only normal not to stir **** up but he just doesn't seem to have that drive, that passion, that fire in his belly that we all want him to have.

For example, Gudbranson was also a rookie last year but didn't shy away from getting in people's faces after the whistle.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i gotta say,i dot care how mean larsson is. we're going to need points from the blue line, BIG time. i want him putting every puck on net

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
At this point I'll settle for not whiffing on the one-timer or putting it in the shinpads and watching a breakaway the other way. On net? Hell to the yeah please.

Do not want to lead the league in SHG's against again. (speaking to all D, not just him)

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I don't think this will be a problem with Stevens. He was intimidating even back then, all he needs to do is bring back the crazy eyes and everyone will get in line.

At this point I'll settle for not whiffing on the one-timer or putting it in the shinpads and watching a breakaway the other way. On net? Hell to the yeah please.

Do not want to lead the league in SHG's against again. (speaking to all D, not just him)

I blame Foster for most of those. Yes, I know only two or three were actually his fault. But I'm sticking with that. Larsson is golden. I expect him to profit handsomely from having Kovy at the other point for 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->