Speculation: Scott Perunovich NHL arrival? (read OP)

when will Scott Perunovich be NHL ready?

• Total voters

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
with NHL 21 out, I thought it would be fun/interesting to try and add some high caliber player that are not accessible in the game (KHL and NCAA).

I figured the best way to gage the overall of these players would be to ask the fans that (insert player) plays for.

will post results in the EA sport thread

Please answer honestly​

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
He'll be ready late this year or next year with potential to be a top 4 defender if he can put it all together in the NHL.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I suspect if we lob him into the NHL off the bat, he's going to be shell-shocked in about 8 games. We don't have to stick him into the lineup right now; put him at Springfield, let him get his skates under him there. If he looks great there, then you can talk about bringing him up. Otherwise, I don't see anything in his game that screams he's NHL ready other than Hobey Baker and has mad offensive skillz. I mean, it would be great if he's Matt Carle or Jordan Leopold or Tom Kurvers, but I'm more concerned he ends up being Matt Gilroy or Mark Fusco.

Let's not forget: he's 22 right now. He was drafted as a 2-year overage player, so his freshman year he was 1-2 years older than the normal freshman. People got googly-eyed over Brett Sonne winning WHL Player of the Year and his stats, ignoring that he was 20 at the time; we quickly figured out that 2-year difference meant something, and Sonne didn't come remotely close to doing what he did in the WHL. Throw on that generously he's 5'10" and 185 lbs., and you quickly realize he's going to have to rely on wheels and smarts and instincts to survive a physical game; if any of that goes or if he can't handle physical play, I don't know how he's effective in the NHL.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I suspect if we lob him into the NHL off the bat, he's going to be shell-shocked in about 8 games. We don't have to stick him into the lineup right now; put him at Springfield, let him get his skates under him there. If he looks great there, then you can talk about bringing him up. Otherwise, I don't see anything in his game that screams he's NHL ready other than Hobey Baker and has mad offensive skillz. I mean, it would be great if he's Matt Carle or Jordan Leopold or Tom Kurvers, but I'm more concerned he ends up being Matt Gilroy or Mark Fusco.

Let's not forget: he's 22 right now. He was drafted as a 2-year overage player, so his freshman year he was 1-2 years older than the normal freshman. People got googly-eyed over Brett Sonne winning WHL Player of the Year and his stats, ignoring that he was 20 at the time; we quickly figured out that 2-year difference meant something, and Sonne didn't come remotely close to doing what he did in the WHL. Throw on that generously he's 5'10" and 185 lbs., and you quickly realize he's going to have to rely on wheels and smarts and instincts to survive a physical game; if any of that goes or if he can't handle physical play, I don't know how he's effective in the NHL.
He has to prove that he has grown into his "man strength" before I think they can put him out there and not get absolutely killed.

Thanks for reminding me of Sonne :help::laugh:

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

He was drafted after freshman year. College players tend to be older. He was never overaged versus his competition.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'm excited for him, but I think it would be really bad to throw him into the lineup (unless he has a Thomas like preseason). I want to see him develop throughout the year and gain confidence with older guys in the AHL. Get used to players that are in the system, as well as the system itself, then give him a few games if someone is hurt and you need a body. I have a hard time seeing him fail as a point producer, but I know we're all more concerned about his development as a defenseman that can actually defend. Hopefully he can develop some good stick work, but the rest I think just relies more on time in the big leagues.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
He was drafted after freshman year. College players tend to be older. He was never overrated versus his competition.
He was 2 years past the year he would have been drafted as an 18-year old. I'm not saying he was piling up points against largely 18-year olds a la Sonne, but that 2-year jump isn't negligible either. The size thing concerns me more; Aaron Ness was really skilled coming out of HS and got drafted in the 2nd round, and he struggled because he was generously 5' 9" and 165 lbs.

Size isn't everything, but it certainly helps. If you're a defenseman, it really helps.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He was 2 years past the year he would have been drafted as an 18-year old. I'm not saying he was piling up points against largely 18-year olds a la Sonne, but that 2-year jump isn't negligible either. The size thing concerns me more; Aaron Ness was really skilled coming out of HS and got drafted in the 2nd round, and he struggled because he was generously 5' 9" and 165 lbs.

Size isn't everything, but it certainly helps. If you're a defenseman, it really helps.
He is undersized and that could be issue. But important to remember he wasn’t 20 starring against 17 year olds in CHL. College players tend to be older. He was top player in country this year playing against similar aged players. Will he struggle as pro against bigger stronger older players. Perhaps. But Quinn Hughes jumped in right away out of ncaa. Maker and Fox too. All small too. I’m not saying he will be as good as them as soon as them, but wouldn’t shock me if he is.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
He is undersized and that could be issue. But important to remember he wasn’t 20 starring against 17 year olds in CHL. College players tend to be older. He was top player in country this year playing against similar aged players. Will he struggle as pro against bigger stronger older players. Perhaps. But Quinn Hughes jumped in right away out of ncaa. Maker and Fox too. All small too. I’m not saying he will be as good as them as soon as them, but wouldn’t shock me if he is.
For every Adam Oates, Ed Belfour, Curtis Joseph-type "miss" on scouting where someone goes through a couple years of college before a team notices them and snags them and gets a quality player that puts in a fairly decent NHL career or better, there's countless guys who teams are convinced they got a steal no one else found who doesn't pan out even after a few cups of coffee and practically being given a roster spot and being told to play themselves out of it (which they do). I'd be totally fine with being wrong here, but I just don't see the "it" which makes him the exception rather than the rule.

I like his chances better than Jordan Schmaltz [a pick I hated from the moment his name got called for us and wanted us to trade ASAP before everyone else figured out he was crap], so there's that.

Reactions: 67Blues

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
For every Adam Oates, Ed Belfour, Curtis Joseph-type "miss" on scouting where someone goes through a couple years of college before a team notices them and snags them and gets a quality player that puts in a fairly decent NHL career or better, there's countless guys who teams are convinced they got a steal no one else found who doesn't pan out even after a few cups of coffee and practically being given a roster spot and being told to play themselves out of it (which they do). I'd be totally fine with being wrong here, but I just don't see the "it" which makes him the exception rather than the rule.

I like his chances better than Jordan Schmaltz [a pick I hated from the moment his name got called for us and wanted us to trade ASAP before everyone else figured out he was crap], so there's that.
Lots of quality players underrated and undrafted as 18 year olds, Perron, Parayko, and Krug included. I don’t know whether Perunovich will be hit or miss, but I wouldn’t be so hung up on him being drafted as 20 yo.

And Blues are not one of those teams who give spots to kids (not under DA). If he wants job he is gonna have to take it. And as of now there are at least 8 guys ahead of him on depth chart. So he is gonna have to be pretty darn good to earn spot this year.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think he'll get a call up late this coming season, and win a job with The Blues the season after. He still needs to gain more strength, and get better in his own zone getting used to the pro game. I will admit that his defensive game has come along quite a bit since 2 years ago. But, he still has a fair amount to go, to play adequately on The NHL level, especially given his small size and weight. He'll be less of an early liability if he gets used to the pro game in The AHL for a half season or full season first, rather than dumped into the frying pan right away.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I think he'll get a call up late this coming season, and win a job with The Blues the season after. He still needs to gain more strength, and get better in his own zone getting used to the pro game. I will admit that his defensive game has come along quite a bit since 2 years ago. But, he still has a fair amount to go, to play adequately on The NHL level, especially given his small size and weight. He'll be less of an early liability if he gets used to the pro game in The AHL for a half season or full season first, rather than dumped into the frying pan right away.
100% agree with this. Between Perunovich and Krug, we will have 1/3 of our blue line at 5' 9" (and some say that is generous for Perunovich). Our big defensive core that won us the Cup has shrunk considerably. Granted Mikkola will help balance that out somewhat when he replaces Gunnarson but Perunovich definitely will have to work on his strength and game in the AHL before he comes up else he will get absolutely crushed.

Parayko - 6' 6"
Bortuzzo - 6' 4"
Scandella - 6' 3"
Gunnarson - 6' 2"
Dunn - 6' 0"
Faulk - 6' 0"
Krug - 5' 9"

--------------------------------------------- AHL
Mikkola - 6' 4"
Santini - 6' 2"
Tucker - 6' 1"
Walman - 6' 1"
Reinke - 5' 11"
Perunovich - 5' 9"

------------------------------------------- 2019 Cup Team
Bouwmeester - 6' 4"
Edmundson - 6' 4"
Pietroangelo - 6' 3"
Parayko - 6' 6"
Bortuzzo - 6' 4"
Dunn - 6' 0"

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
100% agree with this. Between Perunovich and Krug, we will have 1/3 of our blue line at 5' 9" (and some say that is generous for Perunovich). Our big defensive core that won us the Cup has shrunk considerably. Granted Mikkola will help balance that out somewhat when he replaces Gunnarson but Perunovich definitely will have to work on his strength and game in the AHL before he comes up else he will get absolutely crushed.

Parayko - 6' 6"
Bortuzzo - 6' 4"
Scandella - 6' 3"
Gunnarson - 6' 2"
Dunn - 6' 0"
Faulk - 6' 0"
Krug - 5' 9"

Mikkola - 6' 4"
Santini - 6' 2"
Tucker - 6' 1"
Walman - 6' 1"
Reinke - 5' 11"
Perunovich - 5' 9"

Bouwmeester - 6' 4"
Edmundson - 6' 4"
Pietroangelo - 6' 3"
Parayko - 6' 6"
Bortuzzo - 6' 4"
Dunn - 6' 0"
I am glad you posted this, as it is a huge concern of mine. I am also hesitant to post about the size issue because I am worried I will get bombarded with replies that I am being too "old school", and that"size is unimportant". Well, I think it is an issue. Replacing JBo and Petro with Krug and Perunovich, (and maybe Reinke) make us much smaller and I, for one, am nervous about it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am glad you posted this, as it is a huge concern of mine. I am also hesitant to post about the size issue because I am worried I will get bombarded with replies that I am being too "old school", and that"size is unimportant". Well, I think it is an issue. Replacing JBo and Petro with Krug and Perunovich, (and maybe Reinke) make us much smaller and I, for one, am nervous about it.
We replaced JayBo with Scandella.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Your argument isn't invalid, but we're talking about drafting someone 12 years ago, a draft that had Filatov go at #6. Sure there are some uncertainties, but small guys are more than capable of being extremely effective players. Plus, I think scouting is much more refined and better at projecting than it used to be, however much better is, I'm not sure. But I understand your concern about size.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Parayko - 6' 6"
Bortuzzo - 6' 4"
Scandella - 6' 3"
Gunnarson - 6' 2"
Dunn - 6' 0"
Faulk - 6' 0"
Krug - 5' 9"

Mikkola - 6' 4"
Santini - 6' 2"
Tucker - 6' 1"
Walman - 6' 1"
Reinke - 5' 11"
Perunovich - 5' 9"

Bouwmeester - 6' 4"
Edmundson - 6' 4"
Pietroangelo - 6' 3"
Parayko - 6' 6"
Bortuzzo - 6' 4"
Dunn - 6' 0"

I don't enjoy having smaller players, but I feel like this may be blown out of proportion a bit. I will give you that TB and STL had a core of huge defenseman, but Boston and the previous 4 winners before STL had a smaller-ish core of defenseman. None of them topped higher than an average of 6'2 (with rounding), while TB had an average of 6'2.6 and STL had 6'3.3

While I do express the concern, we are more than fine on height, and would be fine by adding a guy like Perunovich later in the year. If you subtract Dunn with Perunovich, your core is still taller than Washington's cup winning team and the Pens first cup winning team. The second cup winning team from the Pens is just a slight bit taller. Again, I think this is all blown out of proportion and we should be more concerned with their play on the ice vs their height comparison/differences

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Bouwmeester - 6' 4"
Edmundson - 6' 4"
Pietrangelo - 6' 3"
Parayko - 6' 6"
Bortuzzo - 6' 4"
Dunn - 6' 0"

Damn, that was a fine defense corps! I am going to get depressed every time I look at it now. :(

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad