Scott Mayfield

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I couldn't find a thread on him alone, but I wanted to know what the experts think his upside is and how he will fit with the Islanders future plans. I expect a future top-4 defense of:

deHaan-Mayfield
MacDonald-Hamonic

Mayfield will most likely be the #4 in that group but I think he would be a good fit with deHaan, since they played fairly well together at prospect camp.

Can anyone give me his upside and an NHL player comparison?

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think the Isles are going to let him develope properly in college but Im excited about him.....

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Gonna see him a lot this season considering him and I go to the same school.

BestWestern

May 23, 2011
I'd say his
low end potential is AHL- #6 Dman
High end is #2 Dman
Reasonable potential- 3/4 Dman
Plays like: pronger-lite, less dominant, less offensive upside. I would have preferred the oilers take him @ 31 instead of David musil. Good pick.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Mayfield has all the skills and talent to be a Top4(maybe even #1/2) defenseman.

He and Hamonic should make for a mean Top4.

Just like the poster above, I was hoping the Oilers would take him at #31 too.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
For a guy who is supposed to be skilled the drop in stats from last season(56 games - 22 points) to this one(52 games - 16 points) sort of scares me(I read in a couple places he just skates around aimlessly or for the amount of times he joins the rush he should score more to often). Hopefully he can put his game together in College and have the pick payoff for the Islanders. If nothing else with his size and speed, if he can learn to play good defensively he could be a good second pairing guy.

Mayfield definitely seemed like a guy picked 100% based on potential rather then what he actually did this year. Anybody know if Mayfield had a growth spurt in the past year or 2? that definitely could be part of the reason his stats weren't as good.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I think he's got high potential (Top 4 defensemen at least probably top 2) but I'm not sure if he'll ever reach it. He seemed to me like a slighty bigger version of John Carlson, not as offensively gifted maybe and a little more on the rugged side.

He was a first round talent to me but I think he absoulutely wasted his last season. Didn't get any better. If he was playing in Kitchener last season, I have no doubt he would have went in the first round, maybe top 20. I guess he really wanted to keep his NCAA eligibility though, but there had to be better places then Youngstown. I think that place really hurt his development. He's got so much work to do now to catch up, I think he'll need all 4 years at University then some

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
For a guy who is supposed to be skilled the drop in stats from last season(56 games - 22 points) to this one(52 games - 16 points) sort of scares me(I read in a couple places he just skates around aimlessly or for the amount of times he joins the rush he should score more to often). Hopefully he can put his game together in College and have the pick payoff for the Islanders. If nothing else with his size and speed, if he can learn to play good defensively he could be a good second pairing guy.

Mayfield definitely seemed like a guy picked 100% based on potential rather then what he actually did this year. Anybody know if Mayfield had a growth spurt in the past year or 2? that definitely could be part of the reason his stats weren't as good.

I believe his stats took a hit because of how much he was playing.

I heard he was playing crazy amounts of minutes and the Phantoms were relying on him for defense.

IkeaMonkey*

His drop in production was due to more of a focus on defensive play(and Youngstown was awful). He was 100x more defensively responsible than Jordan Schmaltz.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Imagine Jason Smith in his prime. Punishing, no-nonsense defender. Now, add an offensive element to his game. You come up with a top-4 NHL defenseman that potentially is top-pairing capable.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Imagine Jason Smith in his prime. Punishing, no-nonsense defender. Now, add an offensive element to his game. You come up with a top-4 NHL defenseman that potentially is top-pairing capable.

Holy crap. I was very happy when the Islanders drafted him, now I'm thrilled if that's what we can expect out of him.

startainfection*

im friends with him on face book, asked him to play pick up hockey with me, he said he wont even be on long island for training camp

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
im friends with him on face book, asked him to play pick up hockey with me, he said he wont even be on long island for training camp

I don't believe NCAA kids are even permitted to participate in a team's preseason camp.

Prospect camps at their own cost, yes, but not the NHL team's primary preseason camp.

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
I played against him in high school a lot. Scott has always been tall but over the last 2-3 years has really started to fill out and broaden a bit. He loves to jump up in the rush and is great at getting a good breakout going and moving through the neutral. This has alway given him that offensive mindset. Occasionally it causes him to drift but he usaully just ended up coming out of nowhere and stealing the puck. Last I played him he was a powerful skater and played a very smart game the only thing he lacked was upperbody and core strength but I believe he has been addressing that and if he develops a powerful accurate shot he will be lethal!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad