Scott Laughton (thread originated in 2013)

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Laughton has done way better on this team as a LWer and I don't see him going back to C. He may go back if the situation calls for it (like an injury or something), but he's been doing great on LW. Cousins is better as a center with how his skating is and with being center, he gets to keep skating, which helps him out.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Laughton has done way better on this team as a LWer and I don't see him going back to C. He may go back if the situation calls for it (like an injury or something), but he's been doing great on LW. Cousins is better as a center with how his skating is and with being center, he gets to keep skating, which helps him out.

Too early to say

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Scarier still, what happens if Konecny comes in and is one of those players that just HAS to be in the middle like Giroux? Now what?

Voracek - Giroux - Simmonds
xxxxxx - Couturier - Schenn
Laughton - Konecny - xxxxxx

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Scarier still, what happens if Konecny comes in and is one of those players that just HAS to be in the middle like Giroux? Now what?

I suppose it's possible, but that'd be a season or two after breaking in to the NHL. Can't imagine he'd be very good at faceoffs either since he hasn't played C in some time...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Konecny isn't playing C now and it took a few years before G was at C.

So even under your scenario, it's a few years away and NAK and Lindblom will be here so it could work out quite fine.

But I think he will be fine staying at RW.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Good bump, Curu. He certainly has earned his props so far. Can really skate and his shot is no joke (point's been made on here before). It looks like it's really coming together for Scotty "I'm givin' her all she's got!" Laughton.
Devil's advocate for the Hexy slow cook...
End transmission

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I admit I was indifferent about him being a potential victim of the expansion draft last year, felt lukewarm about him ever being more than a 4th liner with limited upside.
Appears he got his stuff together, provides secondary scoring and may even earn time on special teams which is important for a bottom 6er to justify him playing over other.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
He's looking more and more like the buzz saw he was back in junior. He might not be as proficient offensively as he was, but if he can score 15 to 20 goals a season and anchor the pk, that would be huge.

Reactions: smoochy

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Luaghton is a perfect example why it's not the 12 most talented players you want on the ice, but the best combination of 12 players.
He played better at LW a few years ago, but they needed centers, and he has never looked comfortable there.
Now he's back at LW, and just seems like that's where he belongs.

Good thing Hextall/Hakstol recognize that, because Lehtera haters would rather put Laughton in a position to fail than see Lehtera on the ice.
FOR NOW, Laughton at LW and Lehtera at C works better than any other combination that moves Laughton back to center.
Next year, Frost and Rubtsov will provide the 4th C, both are more natural at center than Laughton.

This also explains why Stastny was Hextall's top priority, they had decided to keep Laughton at LW, were doubtful that Frost was ready, so were worried about center depth (and so much for "favorites," they could have resigned Filppula for one year, see NYI).

Reactions: captainpaxil

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last year he was pretty excellent at centre tbh. He is certainly better than Lehtera and very likely Weal at C as well.

I mean, we all knew from 2015-16 when he played mainly wing that he was good enough offensively for the NHL. Does not have high end offensive IQ but a great shot, solid passer and great skater. If he plays 3rd line minutes without PP time he will get ~25-30 points for sure. Which is good production.

But last year he figured out how to bring his D from OHL+AHL to the NHL and was excellent defensively at C and solid offensively per minute despite playing with some poor players at times.

If he keeps playing like this all season (the same as he did last year pretty much) then the Flyers really have a claim to having two of the best bottom sixers in the NHL in Raffl and Laughton.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Laughton always reminded me of a gagne lite rather than the mike richards replacement he was sold as. I think draft pedigree and high expectations really put the kid in a bad view with the fans.
His strengths are speed and shot which says lw to me and his defensive awareness while mediocre for a center are pretty good for a winger.
Im glad to see him put in a position to succeed

smoochy

Oct 12, 2018
Last year he was pretty excellent at centre tbh. He is certainly better than Lehtera and very likely Weal at C as well.

I mean, we all knew from 2015-16 when he played mainly wing that he was good enough offensively for the NHL. Does not have high end offensive IQ but a great shot, solid passer and great skater. If he plays 3rd line minutes without PP time he will get ~25-30 points for sure. Which is good production.

But last year he figured out how to bring his D from OHL+AHL to the NHL and was excellent defensively at C and solid offensively per minute despite playing with some poor players at times.

If he keeps playing like this all season (the same as he did last year pretty much) then the Flyers really have a claim to having two of the best bottom sixers in the NHL in Raffl and Laughton.
Think its a coincidence he's looked much better since he changed over to Wing? Simply watching the games is enough to see he's a completely different and more effective player at LW.

He didn't figure out how to bring his D from the OHL and AHL to the NHL.....lol....he was sent to the AHL to specifically be coached on how to play defensively. The Flyers knew he was a miss as a top 6 offensive player, they groomed him for bottom 6 duties, made chicken salad out of chicken shit so to speak.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Very impressed with him so far. Like him on wing a lot. Was ok with him at center but have to admit he may be a better match at wing. Which is fine as they have centers on the way.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Think its a coincidence he's looked much better since he changed over to Wing? Simply watching the games is enough to see he's a completely different and more effective player at LW.

He didn't figure out how to bring his D from the OHL and AHL to the NHL.....lol....he was sent to the AHL to specifically be coached on how to play defensively. The Flyers knew he was a miss as a top 6 offensive player, they groomed him for bottom 6 duties, made chicken salad out of chicken **** so to speak.

Thinking you know more the @Appleyard is....... bold?

Oh wait the word is hilarious.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Laughton should be at C, since he played there all last season and had zero problem.

Then bring someone up who isn’t an offensive black hole to play with Raffl and Laughton on the 4th line. Make it a line that can challenge the opponent, instead of two guys and a slug.

Lehtera hasn’t been as bad as he was last year, but it’s not going to last so I’d prefer to prevent a problem than react to one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->