Scott Howson

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Thinking outside of the box here, but with the Jackets firing Scott Howson, how would you feel about bringing him in as a scout? Seems the jackets are loaded with good young talent, found throught the draft. Maybe he could help us build up the prospect pool a little. And maybe just maybe we can get a defensive prospect worth having. Flyers seem to draft well in the first round, that's about it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I rather not. Columbus missed on a ton of high draft picks during his tenure.

Edit: Never mind Howson was hired in 2007. Only Filatov would be considered a bad 1st rounder to this point.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Brillant, lets make him head scout, kill it in the draft. He gets hired by the oilers as their new gm and then we traderape him again and again.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
So you want Howson so that the Flyers no longer draft well in the first round?

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Blue Jackets part ways with GM Scott Howson, probably because of all the losing

Prolly....

Anyway..thanks for the going away gift...Jake, Cousins and Couts.

Scott no longer in the HOWWWSSS-EN

Howson spent five seasons with the Jackets and made the playoffs once, thanks to Steve Mason's Calder Trophy-worthy performance in the 2008-09 campaign. The team was swept in the first round by the eventual Western Conference champion Detroit Red Wings. Other than the playoff appearance, Howson's tenure in Columbus was spent mis-managing assets and negotiating flimsy returns on trades. In his five years, he finished 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th and 5th.

Before the start of last season, the Jackets and Howson made a big splash by signing a big-name free agent in James Wisniewski. He also traded the 8th overall pick and Jakub Voracek to the Philadelphia Flyers in an ill-fated trade for Jeff Carter, who spent just 39 games with the Blue Jackets before being traded to Los Angeles for Jack Johnson and a pick.

This summer, Howson made the biggest move of his career trading Rick Nash, arguably the only superstar the Blue Jackets have had, to New York for a pretty good package including Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and a first round pick in this upcoming draft. The return didn't help Columbus compete this season, as they've started just 4-7-2 in their first 13 games and are last place in the Central Division.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...eral-manager-scott-howson-012237271--nhl.html

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I told this to prongo earlier today.

What he's best at is getting good D prospects.

Murray, Erixon, Savard, Goloubef, and a few others.

This is what we need right now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For some reason I thought he was there since the early 2000's. But looking at Columbus' recent drafts they haven't been that bad. I guess I wouldn't mind him joining the Flyers FO as long as he has no say in trades.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
For some reason I thought he was there since the early 2000's. But looking at Columbus' recent drafts they haven't been that bad. I guess I wouldn't mind him joining the Flyers FO as long as he has no say in trades.

Honestly, it's hard to evaluate when they have so many early,early picks. A more instructive evaluation would be his hit rate on second round picks which are likely a closer comparison to the late firsts we have.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, it's hard to evaluate when they have so many early,early picks. A more instructive evaluation would be his hit rate on second round picks which are likely a closer comparison to the late firsts we have.

They had some decent draft picks from the 2 round and on.

2008- D Cody Goloubef 2nd round, F Matt Calvert 5th round, Cam Atkinson 6th round.
2009- D John Moore 21st pick round 1, D David Savard 4th round.
2011- F Boone Jenner 2nd round.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
The flyers seem to have the first round down pretty good. I think howso could help the team add to its depth in later rounds.

And I agree. No trade advise lol

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
I rather not. Columbus missed on a ton of high draft picks during his tenure.

Edit: Never mind Howson was hired in 2007. Only Filatov would be considered a bad 1st rounder to this point.

2008 draft Flyers picked Sbisa above Del Zotto, Jordan Eberle and Tyler Ennis
then we picked Marc-Andre Bourdon over Adam Henrique

Columbus stole Cam Atkinson in the late rounds of that draft.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
then we picked Marc-Andre Bourdon over Adam Henrique

I think I'm gonna puke...I don't normally like Jersey players but Henrique is one of my favorites....

Of course, Jersey develops players well that fit their system but Henrique is definitely not just a product of the Jersey system..he's self made. Lots of talent..

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Flyers just need to trade a bunch of draft picks to Nashville for their scouting department to get some good defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->