Scott Hartnell

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
already is, guy is a straight badass with the heart of a lion

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
people wanted to trade him for a bag of pucks a year and a half ago. now we're talking about "alltime favorite"?

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
He was certainly in the dumps. He was having personal issues and it spilled onto his effort and production on the ice. He rebounded really well and I really respect him as a player for bouncing back. We need him to put together another solid season though. I'm not looking for a career year, but 35 pts this season would be great

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
people wanted to trade him for a bag of pucks a year and a half ago. now we're talking about "alltime favorite"?

People wanted to dump Coburn, now he's darkhorse for captain material.

Yes, people are fickle, but remember at the end of the day all that matters is who you will remember and how.

Everyone hated Lindros. They had solid reasons. Now he's back in the hearts and imaginations of those who grew up watching him, possibly too young to understand why there was such hatred in the first place.

This is clearly a different situation with Hartnell, but the fact remains that he has done more good for this organization than not. No one ever faulted him for not trying. We've laughed with him more than at him. That is endearing enough. On-ice success is what cements that with long-term affection.

whskybarJM

Jan 3, 2009
ca

well,

I was never one of those people
just because people wanted a trade does not mean they were right
yes we are talking about an all time favorite for an individual.
somme people might of started watching the expansion year others might of started watching in 2000's

great personality, understands the city, will be in the city for the long haul, good teammate, plays with heart, (which is what we truly want), and has been a 20-30+ goal scorer?

why is it hard to understand why some might start thinking of him as an all time favorite? because of the finicky fans who think with current emotions instead of their understanding of the game?

and going off your original point, it is not that hard to understand when Keith became a legend of philly hockey because of 1 playoff run.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Honestly, I wasn't a Hartnell fan before he had success with Briere and Leino in the Playoffs a couple years back. He always seemed to take the worst penalties at the worst time and was constantly falling down (not at all different from today) but it's when he started producing that I started to notice all the intangibles and fun he brings to the game.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
i'm glad we gave him that extension. I always thought he was a great flyer. Even when he wasn't puttin up the insane numbers (for him) he was last year, he was always a hardcore energy player that willed things to happen. that fact that he upgraded his already skilled hands to become a top ten left winger just proves that he's still got some potential not reached. There's no negativity with him mentally which goes a long way not only with his play but obviously in being a leader. He is still disrespected in terms of the heart and soul factor he brings which is why he should be one of a couple eligible for the "C". He's a pretty complete player.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
I think the fact that he ran with hartnelldown has helped. He didn't chastise fans for their comments on his skating, he went with it.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Not everyone. Hartnell is one of those players that even when he isn't playing well he still has a role.
That and he just had such a gargantuan year on every level. I'm glad he started out in our doghouse. We got to watch him blast his way through every adversity.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i was one of those that wanted to take the chance to trade fom him when he was playing poorly early last season..

but that was before news broke that he was recovering from a wrist injury..

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I was never one of the people who wanted him shipped out- and there were many. I've always liked him, but all-time favorite? I haven't been following the team all that long (16 years) but I'm not sure I'd put him there quite yet. Close though. It's impressive he's managed to stay on the team this long.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
I'm not ashamed to admit that I have wanted him gone for a loooong time (always despised the bonehead penalties taken in the defensive zone while Carter was breaking into the offensize zone with speed).

I am also not ashamed to admit that his personality has made me warm up considerably to him... and that he played considerably 'smarter' (beyond the point totals) last season.

I am further not ashamed to admit that should he have a down season (particuliarly in the undisciplined/stupid department) I reserve the right to change my opinion once again by seasons' end.

toughfighter83*

im not sold on hartnell until he cuts down on the turnovers and he passes too much, i dont care if he cant score but at least get the shots on the goal to keep the pressure on the goalies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Yes, he does something dumb on occasion. He plays with passion and puts up 20 every year no matter what line. EVERY team in the league would like a "hartnell".

He's a great person to boot, and we will always have the hulk hogan moment.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A lot of my disapproval and criticism stemmed from his cap hit, which I thought was too high for a while. That's no longer an issue, and a few years as a component on our best lines have earned him some breathing room in my book.

He's also become much smarter overall.

RJ8812*

Dear God, Phil Kessel made that list, and Andrew Ladd the year before. Plus whoever wrote it ran out of ways to say someone is sexy after like 3 pics. Females, tisk tisk.

I think that article is written by a bunch of 14 year old girls

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't like Hartnell and I think that's well known. Too inconsistent for my liking. When he signed his contract, he got Daniel Alfredsson type money and personally, I don't think he lived up to the money. It was always good season followed by a bad season by a good season followed by a bad season. When you're paying a forward nearly five million bucks a year, they're expected to produce. When four of the six years are only forty point seasons, that doesn't cut it.

Coburn is also another player I don't like. Once again, another player who is inconsistent season in and season out as well as game in and game out. Million dollar talent, ten cent toolbox is the best way to describe him. As well, Coburn is getting 4.5 million dollars to be a defensive defenseman. Hopefully Coburn puts it all together this year because the Flyers REALLY need him to step forward. Can he do it? I don't know. Yes, he comes to play come playoff time, but he needs to play that way during the regular season as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad