Prospect Info: Scott Harrington | D | London (OHL) | Second Round, 54th overall

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
With McNeil moving to Barrie today I wonder who'll be Harrington's new partner. Tinordi perhaps?

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
I bumped this thread because I'm curious to hear from those of you that have seen him play, as I don't have access to watch WBS games and am looking for more opinions.

Harrington is obviously not an offensive defenseman based on his numbers, so where are his strengths and weaknesses really? I mean most people on here agree he's borderline NHL ready (and the team apparently thinks so too given that he's been up and down so far this season although it could just be for the cap too.)

But is there any update comparison to an established NHL'er playing style?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I bumped this thread because I'm curious to hear from those of you that have seen him play, as I don't have access to watch WBS games and am looking for more opinions.

Harrington is obviously not an offensive defenseman based on his numbers, so where are his strengths and weaknesses really? I mean most people on here agree he's borderline NHL ready (and the team apparently thinks so too given that he's been up and down so far this season although it could just be for the cap too.)

I always thought he just had to get bigger, faster and stronger. You can tell he has just over the last year and is right up there with Dumoulin or just above him on the depth chart now.

Current NHL'er comparisons: Vlasic maybe? A guy you don't notice much but plays against top competition and does it well.

Although he's already 209 pounds at age 21. So he'd be a bit more physical than Vlasic.

I personally think him and Maata could be the Pens future anchors in the top 4. I really hope they don't trade him or Pouliot. Maata being a no brainer of course to not trade.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Haven't watched a lot of him in WBS but I followed him through junior and pre-season...I think Hamhuis is a decent comparable. Not dynamic but exceptionally smart and efficient at both ends of the ice, not a burner but skates well enough, feisty, great on the PK. Eats up big minutes.

He's not borderline NHL ready, he's NHL ready. When he does get an opportunity he's going to impress like Percy/Severson have this year, albeit not in terms of production...just "where the hell did this impressive young defenseman come from and how is he playing like a ten year vet?".

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Thats probably a better comparison in Hamhuis.
Vlasic was an offensive D-Man that became a shut down guy.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
So we're looking at a solid skater that won't get caught out of position much, with a good stick, can be physical but won't go crazy with it. and probably won't join the rush very much.... am i close?

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
He'll probably join the rush a bit more under Johnston than his junior days. He's got decent offensive ability to along with his high IQ, plus he has an underrated point shot. I mean, he's no Pouliot, but he's no Scuderi either in that regard.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Just what the Dr ordered. He is a the makings of a P Martin with more grit. that's a good thing. He will be a major contributor next year assuming martin is gone and Erhoff is not resigned. Pens need more grit on the back end and Harrington will give them that. Mattaa, Despres and Bortuzzo have nice size and complement Letang and Pouliot offensive skills.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Maatta and Martin are both excellent comparisons. He's a better skater than either of them, but he probably won't put up as many points. The points he does get are just by making the smart plays and getting the puck through to the net. He is great at separating the player from the puck and making the right play with it.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Maatta and Martin are both excellent comparisons. He's a better skater than either of them, but he probably won't put up as many points. The points he does get are just by making the smart plays and getting the puck through to the net. He is great at separating the player from the puck and making the right play with it.

Harrington is a better skater than Martin? Eh, hell no. Might be a more polished skater than Maatta, but I don't think he is a better skater than him either.

I mean, not to drag his skating down at all, but he doesn't merit comparison with Martin on that score for sure.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Harrington is a better skater than Martin? Eh, hell no. Might be a more polished skater than Maatta, but I don't think he is a better skater than him either.

I mean, not to drag his skating down at all, but he doesn't merit comparison with Martin on that score for sure.

Yeah, don't see that either. Harrington is steady, which is why I think some people, including in the organization, perhaps tie his development and the degree to which Martin is expendable. But, as you said, no need to make false comparisons. Saying Harrington is a better skater than Martin is as absurd as saying Martin is as physical as Harrington.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Yeah, don't see that either. Harrington is steady, which is why I think some people, including in the organization, perhaps tie his development and the degree to which Martin is expendable. But, as you said, no need to make false comparisons. Saying Harrington is a better skater than Martin is as absurd as saying Martin is as physical as Harrington.

You'll see.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I really disagree about Martin's skating. Martin is more of a bow legged, awkward skater that uses his outside edges too much. Harrington is a better technical skater that skates with more efficiency. Martin I think has better lateral movement, while speed wise I can't say one is faster than the other TBTH.

Martin is a better passer, but Harrington has a way better shot and it's not even close. Both guys are capable of playing the point on the PP, but they aren't ideal on your top unit. Both guys play with an extremely high IQ, but I'd say Harrington is definitely more physical.

I think Harrington is going to be a 20-25 point guy, depending on how much PP time he gets. Keep in mind that Martin has never broken 30 points as a Pen either, so he isn't exactly a point machine. Martin's biggest value offensively is in transition. Harrington I don't think will be as good as Martin in transition, but he is no slouch either. Harrington also has a knack for always making the right play in his own end with the puck on his stick.

All that said, stylistically Harrington and Martin aren't similar at all. However, Harrington, over time, can replace a lot of things Martin does for this team IMHO.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Martin may be the only player is the may have trade value. His contract and his limited trade contract are issues. But in the end Harrington will be a solid Dman which is never unwanted. Hopefully Oli comes back as good as ever in December. Martin is not a great skater by any means but he is mobile enough.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I really disagree about Martin's skating. Martin is more of a bow legged, awkward skater that uses his outside edges too much. Harrington is a better technical skater that skates with more efficiency. Martin I think has better lateral movement, while speed wise I can't say one is faster than the other TBTH.

Excuse me? You cannot say who is faster among Martin/Harrington?
Seriously?

I am not going to suggest that I am any kind of expert on the finer nuances of skating fundamentals, but that Martin gets from A to B faster than Harrington, and not by a little bit, is something I'd wager half a years salary on and consider myself lucky that someone took it.

This is not to dump on Harrington who is a more than decent skater, but this is what makes Martin what he is. If it wasn't for his skating he'd be a non-entity more or less.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Excuse me? You cannot say who is faster among Martin/Harrington?
Seriously?

I am not going to suggest that I am any kind of expert on the finer nuances of skating fundamentals, but that Martin gets from A to B faster than Harrington, and not by a little bit, is something I'd wager half a years salary on and consider myself lucky that someone took it.

This is not to dump on Harrington who is a more than decent skater, but this is what makes Martin what he is. If it wasn't for his skating he'd be a non-entity more or less.

I hope you have a nice savings account if you wanted to just throw away half a years salary like that.

Martin most certainly is not much faster than Harrington if at all. If you saw Harrington's end to end rushes in London and still disagree, ok then. He had a nice rush just last night that showed off how well he can skate.

Martin really isn't a fast skater, so I'm not sure where you are getting that impression. He excels because of his hockey IQ and anticipation, not his skating. The guy doesn't exactly lead the rush and make you get out of your seat with his end to end rushes. He more or less, is an awkward skater with above avg lateral movement.

Harrington is simply more economical in his skating and if Martin is faster in a straight line, I would be shocked. If we are talking B2B speed, I'm pretty sure Harrington could catch Martin.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Short of the two of them lining up for a race, I don't think an argument can be made that one is faster than the other at this time as they're both fairly equal in the speed department.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Short of the two of them lining up for a race, I don't think an argument can be made that one is faster than the other at this time as they're both fairly equal in the speed department.

Pretty much. I'm just not sure where the idea is coming from that a 33 year old Martin is noticeably faster than 21 year old Harrington. Maybe at the same age Martin would have had the edge I suppose, but we are talking about 2014 so...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Harrington's great, but his skating - while efficient and competent - isn't really on par with Martin's based on what I've seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad