Scott Hannan named to Team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Aucoin would have been my choice, but I'm glad Hannan was picked over J-Bow and McCabe. If he's ever inserted into the lineup during the tournament, I think he'd be the safest player (of the three) from a defensive standpoint and thats the most important aspect to take into account. He'll only be a depth defenseman and won't likely be looked too for any kind of spark or anything, just the odd reliable shift without any glaring mistakes. That's a role I'm confident Hannan can fill.

Saabato

Sep 5, 2003
London, Ontario
I really thought it was going to be J-Bo. With the larger ice surface and his skating it was a perfect match. Plus he has been tremendous at the Worlds the last two years. He has much more experience than Hannan. I really can't figure this one out. Bouwmeester has much more to offer in an international tournament and he is one of those rare players that elevates his game when he needs too. He is a star in the making. He makes things happen out ther. He doesn't just follow the play. Anyways, those are my two cents worth.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
This is why Kevin lowe and wayne gretzky should be removed. They have a something against the maple leafs. An why is Hockey Canada located in calagary?

Another reason to move hockey canada HQ to Toronto, where the NHLPA is located. I have a feeling Canadian Hockey will split into two organizations in the near future.

Hockey Canada will split in two organizations if the toronto media has its way.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
should have been McCabe he brings more intangibles. Hannan is getting to be overrated around the NHL actually. He is a stable defensive d-man but he relies on clutching and grabbing.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Saabato said:
I really thought it was going to be J-Bo. With the larger ice surface and his skating it was a perfect match. Plus he has been tremendous at the Worlds the last two years. He has much more experience than Hannan. I really can't figure this one out. Bouwmeester has much more to offer in an international tournament and he is one of those rare players that elevates his game when he needs too. He is a star in the making. He makes things happen out ther. He doesn't just follow the play. Anyways, those are my two cents worth.

I would agree with that but I don't think they're playing on international ice surface.

With all Canada's games being in North America Scott Hannan was the right choice.

leafaholix*

I find it hard to believe that this decision wasn't just based on playoff performance. It's Pejorative Slured to base your National Team on who played well in a 5 or 6 game series rather than the previous 82 games.

It should have been (IMO) Bouwmeester, followed by McCabe and Hannan.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Boomhower said:
Aucoin would have been my choice, but I'm glad Hannan was picked over J-Bow and McCabe. If he's ever inserted into the lineup during the tournament, I think he'd be the safest player (of the three) from a defensive standpoint and thats the most important aspect to take into account. He'll only be a depth defenseman and won't likely be looked too for any kind of spark or anything, just the odd reliable shift without any glaring mistakes. That's a role I'm confident Hannan can fill.
I am with you, Aucoin is a very steady veteran performer with a RIGHT shot which should not be discounted. Having said that i am a fan of Hannan's as he has a battle level i like. Good for him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Aucoin is better than at least 4 or 5 guys who were named to this team, and his exclusion is idiotic. But better Hannan than Bouwmeester, who is barely an average NHL defender at this point despite his immense natural abilities.

chris39bong

some of you people are pretty funny. "hannan relies too much on clutching and grabbing"? "the decision was based on this years playoffs, and not the entire 82 game schedual"? since many of you have probably only seen hannan play a couple times, let me just tell you that darryl sutter viewed hannan as his best defenseman his last year and a half at the sharks helm. and current coach ron wilson said he knew after a week of being hired LAST SEASON that hannan was the sharks best, most consistant d-man. so not only has hannan been a top defender this past season, but also the past two and a half seasons. and if you think hannan relies on clutching a grabbing...wow. count how many interference, obstruction, or holding penalties he recieves and you'll quickly reliaze that he either is very clever and able to fool every referee in the nhl, or he simply doesn't rely on clutching and grabbing. take your pick :)

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
hattrickshockey2 said:
some of you people are pretty funny. "hannan relies too much on clutching and grabbing"? "the decision was based on this years playoffs, and not the entire 82 game schedual"? since many of you have probably only seen hannan play a couple times, let me just tell you that darryl sutter viewed hannan as his best defenseman his last year and a half at the sharks helm. and current coach ron wilson said he knew after a week of being hired LAST SEASON that hannan was the sharks best, most consistant d-man. so not only has hannan been a top defender this past season, but also the past two and a half seasons. and if you think hannan relies on clutching a grabbing...wow. count how many interference, obstruction, or holding penalties he recieves and you'll quickly reliaze that he either is very clever and able to fool every referee in the nhl, or he simply doesn't rely on clutching and grabbing. take your pick :)

:handclap: :handclap: For the record, Ron Wilson was recently quoted as sayin Rathje was his best dman last year.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
i don't understand why everyone thinks mccabe is a complete liability because of one terrible playoff game. i think he was clearly overplayed all season and playoffs (kaberle, berg, pilar...now THERE's some liabilities), and it wore on him. bouwmeester will probably be better, but not yet. and hannan is a flavour of the month type IMO. he's quite good, but would he have even been considered without the playoffs? doubtfull. i honestly just dont see hannan adding anything of any real value to this team. i think a guy with mccabes skill set would have a better chance of seeing icetime

i would have taken, in order:

mccabe
aucoin
philips
bouwmeester
hannan

but oh man, i wish stevens was healthy so we could end this argument once and for all

chris39bong

well the full story is that ron wilson was quoted as saying that he thinks rathje is one of the best defensemen in the league and over the course of this past year was the sharks best defenseman IN RESPONSE to accusations that big rathje is a soft player and doesn't hit enough. he was simply defending one of his players. and that doesn't take away from the fact that at the start of this season ron wilson was quated as saying that when he was first hired as the sharks coach he didn't really know much about hannan but was quickly surprised by him and after about a week realized that hannan was the best defenseman the sharks had. that is why over the course of this past season, hannan lead all sharks skaters in playing time. either way, ron wilson thinks very highly of every member of his teams top 4 d-men. i can't remember if it was ron or doug wilson who just recently revealed that gretzky and his staff had not only hannan in consideration for the canadien team, but also stuart, mclaren, and rathje. quite a compliment for sj. one of their defense prospects, doug murray, also almost made sweden's roster.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
hattrickshockey2 said:

I watch all the teams in the pacific division. I saw plenty of Hannan this year. I think he is a good defensmen but honestly he gets away with so much clutching and grabbing its amazing. I'm just surprised there aren't better Canadian defensmen out there than him thats all. He is good but the best hockey nation in the world should have at least 10 guys better than him.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Aucoin does everything Hannan does defensivley but is so much more effecive offensively. Big time shot, can play 45 minutes a game and wins almost all his battles. Makes no sense to this guy. Meaning me.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Hannan played in all (82) regular season games in 2003-2004, posting a career high in goals (six)

6 Goals is a career HIGH.. lmao

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
Hannan played in all (82) regular season games in 2003-2004, posting a career high in goals (six)

6 Goals is a career HIGH.. lmao

I guess Adam Foote should have been left off the 2002 Olympic team, since his career best in goals up to that point (after 11 seasons in the league) was 5 in one year.

I know it's hard to believe, but some defensemen are highly regarded for their defensive abilities. :amazed:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
:handclap: Great Choice :handclap:
Sure McCabe, JBo and Aucoin are better offensivly but why do we need more offense from the point when we already have Niedemeyer,Pronger,Jovo and Redden.
Hannan is as solid defensivly as they come. It's also unlikely that he will see much action so he's a perfect choice for the role Team Canada needed filled.
IMO JBO's still a bit young and I sometimes McCabe decision making defensivly isn't the best but if either had been picked I wouldn't have been too disappointed.

Go Canada Go :win:

:gman:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->