Scott Hannan Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Alright, this could be premature, but I don't think Hannan is coming back next year. Too much talk of a rebuild, young defensemen moving up, etc. I think if anything DW would have signed him already if he was coming back. If he does end up back in teal, I'll delete the thread.

Either way, thank you Scott. You're the reason I got into hockey and specifically Sharks hockey. I know he wasn't the most liked Shark on his second tenure, but he was still efficient at what he did. Plus he's still better than Stuart. Hopefully he gets a contract somewhere next season.

940x.jpg

Scott_Hannan_face.jpg

images

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'll just concentrate on this current iteration of his time here.

I was thoroughly impressed by his ability to still read the plays and what I thought was correct positioning on just about every play against. However, it's a shame that he has neither the footspeed nor the puck skills to be a very effective defenseman anymore(as we saw during the Kings series and particularly that goal by Gaborik). Best of luck.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Tough dude, was one of the best shutdown dmen in his prime. Would be excellent in a mentor/player development role.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Velcro 4 eva. In his prime, was amazing.

Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin once called Hannan the league's "toughest defenseman to play against."

"Typical of one of the best shutdown defensemen in the NHL, who underscored his position among the League's elite defensive defensemen in the second round of the 2004 playoffs, when Hannan was assigned to shadow Colorado's superstar center Peter Forsberg and held him to no points five-on-five in the six-game series. "

"I call him our Velcro man," Sharks coach Ron Wilson told me before a game early this season in St. Louis. "His movement is so great, front and back and sideways, that he is like a mirror image of the guy he's trying to stay with. You can't get away from him. That battle against Peter Forsberg was a classic. Both guys took it personal -- and I think you'd have to say Scott won it."

20070701__20070702_D3_SP02HKNAVSJ~p1.JPG

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
It would be great to have Hannan back, he was pretty good in his prime.

I remember his rookie year at camp, as I watching a practice/scrimmage and he came out of the locker room with the top of her uniform and equipment off to watch also, he was in great shape, looks like he found the weight room and it was good. No doubt he was very strong!!

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I actually thought Hannan did better than expected in his return. I don't think it's inevitable that he's not resigned here. Either way, thanks to you sir.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I think it would be a mistake to not resign him.

Agreed. He would sign for close to league minimum and is better than most defensemen in Worcester. Injuries happen, and DW showed that he's more than willing to sit Hannan when the time is right.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Agreed. He would sign for close to league minimum and is better than most defensemen in Worcester. Injuries happen, and DW showed that he's more than willing to sit Hannan when the time is right.

You think he would sign for near league minimum? The only way I see that happening is if Hannan needs another year of service for some league retirement benefit that is tied and scaled to years of service. I don't think that is likely as he would probably be maxed already.

I'd anticipate he will go no lower than Mike Brown's salary, and probably wants double league minimum. So, he'll probably ask for $1.4m and settle in for $1.2 to $1.4, but his absolute lowest is likely $1m again.

If the guy is very good at mentoring the young defensive men and can impart his hockey knowledge, I'd think he would be worth $1.4m in the league.

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
You think he would sign for near league minimum? The only way I see that happening is if Hannan needs another year of service for some league retirement benefit that is tied and scaled to years of service. I don't think that is likely as he would probably be maxed already.

I'd anticipate he will go no lower than Mike Brown's salary, and probably wants double league minimum. So, he'll probably ask for $1.4m and settle in for $1.2 to $1.4, but his absolute lowest is likely $1m again.

If the guy is very good at mentoring the young defensive men and can impart his hockey knowledge, I'd think he would be worth $1.4m in the league.

He hasn't done much to help his value to be quite honest. After his $4.5 million contract expired while he was in Washington it was actually expected he would re-sign there. However, I think he held out for a bit too much money because he was a pretty decent defenseman on the market for that free agent class. What happened? He ended up signing a 1 year $1 million contract in August with Calgary, after most teams had filled out their defenses. Then his play in Calgary was uninspired, but earned him another $1 million contract for Nashville, where he had an awful year. The only reason he wasn't out of the league then was the trade to SJ, where he had a pretty decent playoffs. Now with this year looking so-so but serviceable, and Hannan three years removed from his big contract, I think $1 million is his price if a team takes a spot for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad