Scott Gomez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I'm probably wrong about this, but one would think that the money is not the issue for Gomez anymore - it should be about proving everyone wrong. It is ridiculous the amount of money he has pocketed and will continue to pocket this year for what he has produced. I gotta feel that if I was in his shoes, I'd be looking at the place I could be most successful regardless of the contract.
Ok, let me rephrase my question. If your Gomez, do you...
A)go to a contender for another chance at a Cup. But play in a limited role so you won't beable to reestablish yourself(then again, he might know his role as a top 1-2 center is over. He might beable to reestablish himself as a new and improved 3rd liner).

B)go to a pretender. Know you have no chance at Cup(he already has one so it might not matter to him, compared to other players) but get the ice time to try to reestablish yourself and show that Montreal was just a bad situation for him.

At first I thought Gomez would be good. Send Jenner back to the CHL and send Johansen back to the AHL and have Gomez fill in a roster spot. But I'm not sure where he fits. We have Brassard and Anisimov on the top 2 lines. We have Letestu on the 3rd line and I don't want to see Letestu on the 4th line. Gomez won't come into be a 4th liner and I don't think it's fair for Mackenzie to be the 13th forward.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Ok, let me rephrase my question. If your Gomez, do you...
A)go to a contender for another chance at a Cup. But play in a limited role so you won't beable to reestablish yourself(then again, he might know his role as a top 1-2 center is over. He might beable to reestablish himself as a new and improved 3rd liner).

B)go to a pretender. Know you have no chance at Cup(he already has one so it might not matter to him, compared to other players) but get the ice time to try to reestablish yourself and show that Montreal was just a bad situation for him.

At first I thought Gomez would be good. Send Jenner back to the CHL and send Johansen back to the AHL and have Gomez fill in a roster spot. But I'm not sure where he fits. We have Brassard and Anisimov on the top 2 lines. We have Letestu on the 3rd line and I don't want to see Letestu on the 4th line. Gomez won't come into be a 4th liner and I don't think it's fair for Mackenzie to be the 13th forward.

Wait till the first couple injuries and you'll have an answer on where he'd fit. The lineup we have right now is not very impressive, if Anisimov, RJ, or Dubinsky get hurt, this team has zero NHL depth to replace them. If Gomez would do a 1 year $1.5m or so contract, i'd take him in a heart beat....especially when he has something to prove and would be playing to impress teams next year.

IHeartZherdev*

Perhaps....

But still not a reason to even think about it......

......the antithesis of what JD has indicated as the way he wants to build the organization.

Signing Gomez or Redden wouldn't be related to "building" just like Davidson signing Arnott and Langenbrunner to the Blues last year wasn't building. It's simply adding cheap veterans to fill roles on a roster filled with young guys.

If anything, having Gomez on a roster spot allowing Boone to remain in junior could be good - better for Boone to play than get "Johanson'd" when he could be developing. If we were to sign Redden to play with Aucion, it could be good as well. Probably Better for Moore to be playing top-pairing minutes/situations in the AHL and dominating the PP than being stuck on a 3rd pairing with a fossil like Aucoin...and then of course being called up when injuries/concussions start

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Signing Gomez or Redden wouldn't be related to "building" just like Davidson signing Arnott and Langenbrunner to the Blues last year wasn't building. It's simply adding cheap veterans to fill roles on a roster filled with young guys.

If anything, having Gomez on a roster spot allowing Boone to remain in junior could be good - better for Boone to play than get "Johanson'd" when he could be developing. If we were to sign Redden to play with Aucion, it could be good as well. Probably Better for Moore to be playing top-pairing minutes/situations in the AHL and dominating the PP than being stuck on a 3rd pairing with a fossil like Aucoin...and then of course being called up when injuries/concussions start

What is this strange fascination with Gomez? What particular skill set does he bring that can't be found in any number of NHL players including any number of younger prospect already in the system who would give their eye teeth for the chance to play at the NHL level.

If and when the inevitable injuries do happen, I would rather see the opportunity given to someone in Springfield to step up and show what they can do, than to plug in some over the hill used to be. Why is it so wrong to give a chance to a younger guy? Just because the AHL has been good for Johansen it doesn't necessarily mean that he has to stay there. Moore logged significant minutes in the NHL why should he take a step back? And at least Aucoin has experience to the benefit of teaching the young group of D.

IMO Gomez is just a bad idea and a waste of a roster slot.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Wait..

I want the Scott Gomez of 10 years ago, not the current iteration. Gomez or Richards could have taken the pressure off Nash (back in his 2nd or 3rd year) ha ha ha

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If anything, having Gomez on a roster spot allowing Boone to remain in junior could be good - better for Boone to play than get "Johanson'd" when he could be developing.

:facepalm:

And now somehow Johansen is already a bust of such stature that his name is applied to a type of hypothetical player abuse.

Gotta love this fanbase.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

And now somehow Johansen is already a bust of such stature that his name is applied to a type of hypothetical player abuse.

Gotta love this fanbase.

Johansen is not a bust yet. He could be. He could be a future HOFer.

Zherdev fans perhaps have a harder time telling who is a bust and who isn't a bust.

IHeartZherdev*

Gotta love this fanbase.

It's pretty clear at this point it would have been better to let him play in juniors last year rather than have him barely playing and inactive at the NHL level.

I don't think saying it could be good for guys like Jenner to get big minutes at a lower level than languishing on this year's team like Johansen did last year in any way insinuates I think Johansen is a "bust" - not to mention "abuse" - quite a stretch you took there would love to see what part of my post you think called Johansen a bust

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I heard Johan looks really bulked up this year

is he growing into his body, or is it not good bulk? I am looking for Johan to PLAY his way onto the Jackets not just be given a spot in the bottom two lines. Novel idea?

IHeartZherdev*

What is this strange fascination with Gomez? What particular skill set does he bring that can't be found in any number of NHL players including any number of younger prospect already in the system who would give their eye teeth for the chance to play at the NHL level.

If and when the inevitable injuries do happen, I would rather see the opportunity given to someone in Springfield to step up and show what they can do, than to plug in some over the hill used to be. Why is it so wrong to give a chance to a younger guy? Just because the AHL has been good for Johansen it doesn't necessarily mean that he has to stay there. Moore logged significant minutes in the NHL why should he take a step back? And at least Aucoin has experience to the benefit of teaching the young group of D.

IMO Gomez is just a bad idea and a waste of a roster slot.

The idea of adding a vet or two cheap, like a Gomez, and letting our young guys develop is not something I'm opposed to, though I wouldn't say I'm "fascinated" by it.

The St. Louis Blues signed Jamie Langenbrunner and Jason Arnott last year....both guys in their late 30's who were pretty washed up. I'm sure they could have put younger guys from their system on the roster instead. Teams sign veteran 1-year stop gaps all the time.

I'd love it if Jenner and Johansen were ready for big NHL minutes. But if they're not, rather do the best thing for them long term.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What do you base this on?

Not sure what he was basing on but i'm guessing that it has something to do with him playing a lot of wing, sitting out a lot of games, appearing to run out of gas and apparently not even close to being a top 6 player this season. I agree with him. But at the end of the day we'll never know for sure what last year meant to his long term development.

IHeartZherdev*

To you, perhaps, but I think it's too early to judge how that year of NHL experience will effect him.

I never said he was negatively affected or judged how it affected him.

Just that looking back, in my opinion it would have been better for his development to play big minutes back in junior rather than not play, or play sparingly, here. Can't imagine it was a great locker room to be in either.

Seguin and Stamkos were scratched a lot their rookie years. They turned out fine. I think Johan will be great. I can't be the first person on this message board to suggest not sending him down last year was a mistake? Don't forget we also burned a year of his rookie deal.

IHeartZherdev*

What is so controversial about the idea of a veteran stopgap for a year while young players we're high on develop in the minors, where they can play big minutes, in all situations, PP and PK?

I remember being excited for Cam, glad he got to spend last year in the minors. His scoring pace there has to be good for his confidence and his game.
Same with Calvert who I remember being real excited about when he got his first action

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
Followed the Falcons through 33 games. Johansen has to learn to use his stature to play in the NHL and he isn't doing it yet. Invisible in most games. Needs to mature in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad