Confirmed with Link: Scott Gomez a San Jose Shark - 1 year $700k

apice3*

Sykora can't keep up, period. What's the use of signing someone when you can't utilize him come playoff time? Gomez, IMO is way better then Sykora and would also allow us to move Henrique on the wing, where he should be and looks better.

Speed is a major plus in this league and Sykora doesn't have it. We need goals, I get that, and what's better then a playmaker who'll make his wingers score more goals then a single forward who'll run out of gas eventually.

I'd rather have a slow player who scores 20 goals than a fast player who can't.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I never like to play gm, but I think Gomez can help this team, imho. He always had great vision on the ice and that's not something that you just lose. The structure and professional environment that he would be surrounded with in NJ, will give him the best opportunity to get his game in order. Sign him cheap and if it doesn't work, nothing lost.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
call me crazy but with Butler getting waived I think the Devils may have already signed Gomez and nobody knows yet :laugh:

We'll see, but I think something is going to happen today roster/personnel wise

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
call me crazy but with Butler getting waived I think the Devils may have already signed Gomez and nobody knows yet :laugh:

I hope so. Not necessarily Gomez, but something roster/personnel wise that would be what's up. I personally think two of these things. Either we're still in on Gomez, or we were never really in on him at all.

Even some Sykie would be nice right now. I don't mind Darche, but if he's on a one way he could become a problem if we trade away a defenseman, or if we're looking to get a forward in that trade. I would have really felt a whole lot better with Butler than Tedenby. Really I would feel a whole lot better with both over POS Janssen.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I hope so. Not necessarily Gomez, but something roster/personnel wise that would be what's up. I personally think two of these things. Either we're still in on Gomez, or we were never really in on him at all.

Even some Sykie would be nice right now. I don't mind Darche, but if he's on a one way he could become a problem if we trade away a defenseman, or if we're looking to get a forward in that trade. I would have really felt a whole lot better with Butler than Tedenby. Really I would feel a whole lot better with both over POS Janssen.

At some point tomorrow, you're going to have to accept that Tedenby is on the team. :P

And with Butler being waived, clearly the coaching staff thought something was lacking in his game. And that means something was lacking COMPARED TO TEDENBY, so I don't know how you can still say you'd feel better with Butler.

I don't expect you or anyone to have faith in Teddy, and obviously coaches make mistakes, but can we stop promoting Butler just because he's someone else?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The more I think about it I would be surprised if we signed Gomez, but I wouldn't be surprised if I wake up to see that we did sign him. I know I'm contradicting myself, and it makes no sense. It would be our style like Zajac the other day. How many times have we seen the experts wrong on that a certain team isn't in the mix, but the player ends up signing with that team anyway? A lot. Even the inconsistencies today. Some say the Ducks are in, others say the Ducks are out. Same thing with inconsistencies with Carolina, and San Jose as well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At some point tomorrow, you're going to have to accept that Tedenby is on the team. :P

And with Butler being waived, clearly the coaching staff thought something was lacking in his game. And that means something was lacking COMPARED TO TEDENBY, so I don't know how you can still say you'd prefer Butler.

I don't expect you or anyone to have faith in Teddy, but can we stop promoting Butler just because he's someone else?

I think Matteau being given his 5 games (Maybe more if he sticks) might have something to do with Butler. I'm not pissed about Tedenby though man. I'm pissed about Janssen. That's my biggest issue with all this. He's on a two way contract, why not waive him? We have Barch. What the hell is he on a two way for? Should have given him a one way like Harrold.

And what happens if we're healthy when Henrique is back, and all 8 D men are here and healthy too? Are we gonna send Tedenby or Butler (If he returns) back up to Albany even if they're playing good so we can leave Janssen on this team? It doesn't make sense, but I'm really afraid that could be a possibility.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
I'd take Janssen over Barch any day of the week. I still can't figure out why Lou signed him at all. Just like Asham & Boulton, he's not Devils material.

Cam brings an element to our team game that no other enforcer has done since Jim McKenzie.

However, I still feel Lou should have kept Rupp, but the past is the past.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I rather have a player that will keep up come the playoffs then someone who'll end up on the 4th line or a healthy scratch cause he's too damn slow ;)

The regular season is one thing, but it's also irrelevant. The post season is what counts the most.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown

Enough with Sykora. Ever here the expression "quit while you're ahead". He had a great 50+games for us last year but then he was invisible to the point he was scratched in the Finals. he had nothing left last year at the end. Did all his damage early. You really think a year later he's got something left? I know it's a shortened season but he's done. Time to move on. This team has enough issues with forwards.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I rather have a player that will keep up come the playoffs then someone who'll end up on the 4th line or a healthy scratch cause he's too damn slow ;)

The regular season is one thing, but it's also irrelevant. The post season is what counts the most.

Well you still have to get there (look at how close the Kings came to missing in an 82-game season), and in a 48-game season with a bunch of goals to replace in the lineup it's not a fait accompli, so that argument's kinda silly.

That said I don't think of Sykora as a 20+ goal scorer for eternity and given his lack of speed and other attributes it's not hard to see why 'other' GM's have passed on him too, never mind the Devils. How valuable is 20 goals (really closer to 10 in a short season) when your other linemates have to do most of the heavy lifting, and you don't add anything else tangible?

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

i know for a fact the devils have reached out to gomez. from the horses mouth

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008
Real_ESPNLeBrun: Scott Gomez slated to meet with Sharks this weekend as both sides explore whether there's a fit. Larry Robinson connection is key.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Cali seems like a place Gomez would want to go. I don't think it's about money or contending at this point. Just going somewhere nice to live.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I thought he and Larry were at daggers drawn after '06 lol, Marty was saying in his book about how the staff was always harping on Gomez being overweight, among other things.

Oroku Saki*

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Scott Gomez is in San Jose right now, meeting with Sharks' coaches and management.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought he and Larry were at daggers drawn after '06 lol, Marty was saying in his book about how the staff was always harping on Gomez being overweight, among other things.

Me too. They really didn't get along those two.

apice3*

The regular season is anything but irrelevant. You need to win games in the regular season to get to the playoffs.

And yeah, I'd rather have a player who can keep up come playoffs too. Not sure how that applies to Gomez. ;)

Enough with Sykora. Ever here the expression "quit while you're ahead". He had a great 50+games for us last year but then he was invisible to the point he was scratched in the Finals. he had nothing left last year at the end. Did all his damage early. You really think a year later he's got something left? I know it's a shortened season but he's done. Time to move on. This team has enough issues with forwards.

I'm not advocating signing Sykora at all. I'm advocating him being a better option than Gomez.

Oroku Saki*

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Nothing signed with Gomez, but clearly closing in with SJ. Word is one year, approx $700,000.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->