Chip Alexander: Scott Darling Granted Personal Leave of Absence

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

I mean you hate to hit a guy when he’s down but you about got to buy him out at the end of the year. Let him go and be right where ever he thinks that is.

Pretty sad but probably the best for both sides. I would be surprised to ever see him back. Wonder how this will impact a potential buyout or maybe even a termination of his contract.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
He’s had issues obviously so this could be anything from frustration over his situation to much worse in his life. I don’t care about the hockey, hope he’s getting the help and support he needs. Nothing but love for ya bud. Get better.

Agreed. I can dislike his play, but on a human-to-human level I hope he's getting the help or time away from the game he needs. I'm sure this season's been tough on him - come into the preseason in the best shape of your career, play stellar hockey, get hurt in the last preseason game, sit on the shelf, come back playing like garbage, get outplayed by a waiver pickup, get sent down to the AHL and have to play backup there. Meanwhile your support system (girlfriend who moved down here in the offseason and dog that you acquired in the offseason) are sitting in the house (that you bought in the offseason) 2.5 hours away. Not the best scenario for him and I hope he takes the time that he needs.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
He’s had a tough road. I sure hope he’s okay. I’m imagining that he’s probably taking it pretty hard the way his career has gone lately. But I really hope he can reflect on just how much he accomplished, it’s an incredible life accomplishment to make it to the NHL.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hope he takes whatever time he needs. Regardless I expect the Canes to buy him out after the season.

The leave of absence probably can't last indefinitely though. It may be that before the season's end both parties more or less mutually agree to terminate the SPC according to the Paragraph 14 of the SPC for failing to render the services in accordance to the SPC, like it went with Patrick Berglund and the Sabres. Darling obviously has about 7M reasons to not to, but being an healthy AHL scratch refusing a transfer to ECHL isn't much of a sports pro life either.

But, buyout by the Paragraph 13 is by far the more plausible outcome.

But this all is jumping too much ahead anyway. At this point we should concentrate on field testing if a corporation owned by a used cars selling loan shark is eligible for good karma.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hope he takes whatever time he needs. Regardless I expect the Canes to buy him out after the season.

I won't speculate on the why. It's none of my business. Good luck and get well.

I don't think any reasons beyond his play need to be cited or speculated on. I don't think it's any secret that Darling wasn't signed to a 4-year, $4.15M AAV deal so he could back up Ned in Charlotte. To call his performance in Raleigh a disappointment would be an understatement. I can't think of a goalie, at least since I started following the Canes, who's been more of a disappointment.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
According to Sara Civian’s Canes q&a today (The Athletic), they expect Darling back in Clt before the Checkers’ season ends.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don’t see how it benefits the team in any way to have him back. Just a distraction in what should be a Calder cup run
I hate to say it but Darling pretty much has to do it to get that sweet, sweet buyout money this offseason.

I don't see any scenario where he could collect any portion of his remaining contract had he remained gone.

It's 100% about money.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I hate to say it but Darling pretty much has to do it to get that sweet, sweet buyout money this offseason.

I don't see any scenario where he could collect any portion of his remaining contract had he remained gone.

It's 100% about money.

I disagree completely. I don't see any way this franchise is going to end up in a drawn out legal dispute with a player who has a history of addiction and was granted a leave of absence by the team.

They will give Darling as much time as he needs. Then they will buy him out in the off-season through the league-approved methods of buying out any non-injured player for any reason.

The only chance he has of not being bought out is if he comes back and injures himself late in the season.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I’m not sure if this will end in a buyout. Obviously it’s a sensitive topic but right now he isn’t fulfilling his contractual obligations by taking personal leave during the season. Perhaps a mutual termination. Really just speculation on my part.

Reactions: DaveG

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Is a mutual cancellation even allowable under the CBA? I remember a few years ago, Luongo basically said he wished he could rip up his contract because it was hurting the team, but there was nothing he could do about it.

I guess there's always the retirement option, but if I'm contractually owed another $8 million over the next two years, I have a hard time picturing myself walking away from that. Especially if I still love the game and retiring means I can't play for anyone else during that time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad