News Article: Scott Cullen Off-Season Game Plan: Buffalo Sabres

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
All he ever did in his off season game plans was holler that possession is everything and make dumb moves lol

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Small surprise that TSN cut him loose - his work became more and more run-of-the-mill overstatements of the obvious and/or off-the-wall theories that had no foundation or logic behind them IMO. The fact that he's trumpeting how he predicted the Hutton signing, Sheary acquisition and ROR trade to St.Louis is nothing but coincidences, two of which were easy to predict (Hutton and Sheary, given their goaltending needs and Botterill's history with Sheary). The rumors were rampant also prior to his OSP last summer that ROR would be traded.

That said, his Ristolainen trade theory is beyond stupid. There's no way Botterill would stick his neck out there again and trade his only real marketable asset that he's able to relinquish for unproven prospects - not after the Thompson-for-ROR swap.

About the only credible suggestion, which I hope (and may) happen is signing Hagelin as an affordable UFA. Hagelin was beloved in the Penguins locker room for his leadership and personality mentoring younger players - so much so that Rutherford dealt him for those reasons to "send a message" to his slumping team. Adding Hagelin for 3LW or 4LW brings more speed and a PK ace that makes the release of Girgensons and Larsson more feasible. The connection to Botterill, along with Friedman reporting around the TDL that the Sabres were interested in Hagelin, make it seem plausible. There are also reports that the Caps really liked what he brought to them and will try to re-sign him.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Small surprise that TSN cut him loose - his work became more and more run-of-the-mill overstatements of the obvious and/or off-the-wall theories that had no foundation or logic behind them IMO. The fact that he's trumpeting how he predicted the Hutton signing, Sheary acquisition and ROR trade to St.Louis is nothing but coincidences, two of which were easy to predict (Hutton and Sheary, given their goaltending needs and Botterill's history with Sheary). The rumors were rampant also prior to his OSP last summer that ROR would be traded.

That said, his Ristolainen trade theory is beyond stupid. There's no way Botterill would stick his neck out there again and trade his only real marketable asset that he's able to relinquish for unproven prospects - not after the Thompson-for-ROR swap.

About the only credible suggestion, which I hope (and may) happen is signing Hagelin as an affordable UFA. Hagelin was beloved in the Penguins locker room for his leadership and personality mentoring younger players - so much so that Rutherford dealt him for those reasons to "send a message" to his slumping team. Adding Hagelin for 3LW or 4LW brings more speed and a PK ace that makes the release of Girgensons and Larsson more feasible. The connection to Botterill, along with Friedman reporting around the TDL that the Sabres were interested in Hagelin, make it seem plausible. There are also reports that the Caps really liked what he brought to them and will try to re-sign him.

Risto for prospects like Foote make sense to me. Hagelin makes sense yes

What I think is hilarious is how Winnipeg can’t get enough of former Sabre’s defenseman with this deal. Having us poach all of the former Pens forward depth makes some sense. But Winnipeg taking all of Buffalos’ defensive depth? lol

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Risto for prospects like Foote make sense to me. Hagelin makes sense yes

What I think is hilarious is how Winnipeg can’t get enough of former Sabre’s defenseman with this deal. Having us poach all of the former Pens forward depth makes some sense. But Winnipeg taking all of Buffalos’ defensive depth? lol

I'm all for adding both Foote brothers this offseason but theres gotta be a plus from tampa in this instance to justify giving up on a great offensive dman with defensive warts like Risto for an unknown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad