Scotiabank Arena Covid Outbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Edit: Sorry, didn't see the existing thread. Thanks mod for moving it.

Did anyone see this?

Today’s coronavirus news: Eight workers test positive at Scotiabank Arena; Ontario schools getting up to $1.6 B for COVID costs; Experts worried NACI advice will stoke vaccine hesitancy

"Eight workers at Scotiabank Arena — home of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and usually the home of the NBA’s Toronto Raptors — have tested positive for COVID-19. The outbreak, which was officially declared April 24 by Toronto Public Health..."

And...

"No Maple Leaf players were in contact with the infected staff members, according to MLSE."

That's good news but a) how did I not hear about this before? and b) This shows how fast things could unravel. I wonder if the players and coaching staff are completely segregated from workers running and maintaining the arena? Hopefully this gave everyone a reminder to be vigilant.

Last edited:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
You didn't hear because the flaw in the whole system is contact tracing requires honest open dialogue from the infected but its like the aids epidemic , nobody wants to admit they have it to anyone . I live in a village of about 100 full time residents , we just got our first confirmed case and all anybody knows is its a woman those that know who won't say , there's 1 small store in town that everybody goes to , the owners pregnant daughter inlaw works there , imagine how not knowing is affecting them eh .

Reactions: The Cobra

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You didn't hear because the flaw in the whole system is contact tracing requires honest open dialogue from the infected but its like the aids epidemic , nobody wants to admit they have it to anyone . I live in a village of about 100 full time residents , we just got our first confirmed case and all anybody knows is its a woman those that know who won't say , there's 1 small store in town that everybody goes to , the owners pregnant daughter inlaw works there , imagine how not knowing is affecting them eh .
Sure people want to conceal it or are in denial. Look at the lineups to get tested. people wait hours in the rain. That pic of people lined up around a school track twice was just pathetic. I think they are not there by choice. Even with a negative test they probably have to self isolate for 14 days.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Sure people want to conceal it or are in denial. Look at the lineups to get tested. people wait hours in the rain. That pic of people lined up around a school track twice was just pathetic. I think they are not there by choice. Even with a negative test they probably have to self isolate for 14 days.
If your essential you have to be tested regular just to keep working , I had to do it before every trip to the arctic for work and it sucked , I would cross to Ontario and drive to Ottawa to get it done , last time I was there at 5:30 and was in the first group of 50 to get into the arena they use , there was at least a 100 people camped out asleep on the other side of the building where the families with children getting tested for school went in and by the time they opened the doors the adult line was easily 500 people long it wound like amusement park switch backs to a point at the end of the cones with a sign saying to expect a 3hr wait from that point and it filled the adjoining parking lot and then across the street into a park . This had nothing to do with testing the infected , if you are sick you go to the hospital and get tested immediately , they will call you within 24 hrs to tell you either you are ok or you need to lock your doors .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
You are supposed to limit contact with others until you get your results but you don't have to go into full isolation mode unless your positive or traveling .

Reactions: Confucius

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Huh? Maybe at your job, but that's not true for essential workers in general.
Hospital employee's , Nursing Home employee's . Care workers , Cops etc... have to get tested at least every 2 weeks , we had to be tested and in some cases do 14 days of quarantine in a government run hotel in order to get a travel letter from the Government of Nunavut which is the only way to get into their bubble . If there was a dire need for us to get in sooner than the 14 day would allow then we had to get tested , isolate until we got the result then fly within 48 hrs and go into an isolation bubble on arrival , we go from the jobsite to our housing with no contact with anyone , our groceries are delivered to our door by a designated handler , no third party take out or delivery , no walking around outside etc... this lasts for 14 days after arrival . There are a lot of people being considered essential down here just to keep the economy running .

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Hospital employee's , Nursing Home employee's . Care workers , Cops etc... have to get tested at least every 2 weeks , we had to be tested and in some cases do 14 days of quarantine in a government run hotel in order to get a travel letter from the Government of Nunavut which is the only way to get into their bubble . If there was a dire need for us to get in sooner than the 14 day would allow then we had to get tested , isolate until we got the result then fly within 48 hrs and go into an isolation bubble on arrival , we go from the jobsite to our housing with no contact with anyone , our groceries are delivered to our door by a designated handler , no third party take out or delivery , no walking around outside etc... this lasts for 14 days after arrival . There are a lot of people being considered essential down here just to keep the economy running .

Well yeah I know all that, but those groups represent a vast minority of essential workers. There's millions of Canadians still working in factories and warehouses with "essential" status, not getting tested or following any serious covid protocol.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
If your essential you have to be tested regular just to keep working , I had to do it before every trip to the arctic for work and it sucked , I would cross to Ontario and drive to Ottawa to get it done , last time I was there at 5:30 and was in the first group of 50 to get into the arena they use , there was at least a 100 people camped out asleep on the other side of the building where the families with children getting tested for school went in and by the time they opened the doors the adult line was easily 500 people long it wound like amusement park switch backs to a point at the end of the cones with a sign saying to expect a 3hr wait from that point and it filled the adjoining parking lot and then across the street into a park . This had nothing to do with testing the infected , if you are sick you go to the hospital and get tested immediately , they will call you within 24 hrs to tell you either you are ok or you need to lock your doors .
I live in Ottawa and have been tested 3 times. Each time I booked a slot online and received my results in 48 hrs or less. The longest I waited from the moment I arrived was maybe 25 minutes.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Well yeah I know all that, but those groups represent a vast minority of essential workers. There's millions of Canadians still working in factories and warehouses with "essential" status, not getting tested or following any serious covid protocol.

Yep, it's not just frontline workers that are essential. Like you said, there are dozens of jobs deemed essential and anyone working to support them. Probably half the workforce is considered "essential" or those that support them.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I hope everyone is going to be OK. We worry about the effects on the team etc. but #1 concern is for those employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->