Scoring (scoresheet) question

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I've seen the following happen a couple times and was wondering if the player earns an assist on the play. C wins faceoff in the offensive zone to RW who drops it back to the LD. LD shoots it off the goalie and there's a clean rebound which the C picks up, curls, and passes it back to the LD who then shoots and scores. Does the RW technically earn an assist?

I've seen other plays going up the ice where LD passes it up to C who goes on a rush with RW who make several passes to each other back and forth then score. LD still gets the assist. In the above case, it was a SOG but never corralled by the defensive team so it's still live as far as scoring goes, correct?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yes they get the assist as long as goalie/defensive skaters didn’t control or possess the puck in between him dropping it and goal being scored.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
^ so another scenario - after the rebound, a defensive player accidentally (barely) touches it but didn't control it - all prior touches on the offensive team are assists?

I remember Crosby got an assist after it hits a defensive player and his winger scored.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I believe any 3 players involved in a goal get the points as long as no defensive possession is declared. A save does not count as possession

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
^ so another scenario - after the rebound, a defensive player accidentally (barely) touches it but didn't control it - all prior touches on the offensive team are assists?

I remember Crosby got an assist after it hits a defensive player and his winger scored.

Depends on if control was deemed, similar to refs blowing the whistle on a delayed penalty.

Let’s say the rebound deflects off the defensive players skate or body, that’s not control and the “Touches” are still alive.

but let’s say a defenseman reaches and pokes (even barely) a loose puck in the crease back to the offensive team, that would be control and negate the prior touches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->