Scoreless games in the history of NHL

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Last NHL game on Christmas Eve played was in year 1949. It ended 0:0.

Michael Leighton played his first game and he hit the shutout. That game between oOn January 8 2003 between Chicago Blackhawks and Phoenix Coyotes ended also without goals.

Any others funny facts about Scoreless games?

Reactions: Doctor No

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
As far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the Edmonton Oilers' first ever 0-0 game occurred on December 10th, 1996, at Detroit. Kevin Lowe was in the Oilers' line-up in his second stint with the team, and thus played in their first-ever game (scoring their first-ever goal) and played in their first-ever 0-0 game more than 17 years later.

Oilers' Curtis Joseph must have earned his bread that night because he stopped all 52 shots by the mighty Wings. Chris Osgood stopped 21 for Detroit.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Most famous (or infamous) was game four of the 1919 Stanley Cup series which was called a 0-0 draw after double overtime. This in the highest scoring era of major league hockey. Give us one goal, just one lousy stinking goal, and we could forever erase that "no decision--series cancelled" record.

Thanks, Georges Vezina and Hap Holmes.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Most famous (or infamous) was game four of the 1919 Stanley Cup series which was called a 0-0 draw after double overtime. This in the highest scoring era of major league hockey. Give us one goal, just one lousy stinking goal, and we could forever erase that "no decision--series cancelled" record.

Thanks, Georges Vezina and Hap Holmes.

Go, Mets, go!

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I remember hearing that goalies would have the puck sawed into two and each one handed a piece for a scoreless tie

Best scoreless tie I ever saw was Brodeur vs Hasek right around Christmas 1996. Each goalie made 37 saves. You could tell in the first that absolutely nothing was getting through

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
I am pretty sure that the Bruins and Canadiens played a 0-0 tie in 1969(?), with Tony Esposito in net for Montreal playing against his brother Phil.

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I am pretty sure that the Bruins and Canadiens played a 0-0 tie in 1969(?), with Tony Esposito in net for Montreal playing against his brother Phil.

Good memory - December 21, 1968. Esposito had 34 saves for the Canadiens, and Cheevers had 34 saves for the Bruins.

It was Esposito's second career NHL shutout.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
As far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the Edmonton Oilers' first ever 0-0 game occurred on December 10th, 1996, at Detroit. Kevin Lowe was in the Oilers' line-up in his second stint with the team, and thus played in their first-ever game (scoring their first-ever goal) and played in their first-ever 0-0 game more than 17 years later.

Oilers' Curtis Joseph must have earned his bread that night because he stopped all 52 shots by the mighty Wings. Chris Osgood stopped 21 for Detroit.

I remember watching that game. Cujo was nothing short of spectacular. There was a blocker save he made while leaping in the air. Not long after that a side by side shot was made of grant fuhr making a glove save in the same jumping motion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad