Scoreboard Watching and Wild Card Dreams (Game Over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
giphy-1.gif

Hold your head high guys....you had a hell of a season.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I don’t think we have anything to be upset about.

We got eliminated in game 81. That’s huge

^ This.

I hope to hear about good spirits in Glendale in the last game, and some ovation for the players for a good make-the-playoffs- run.
Next time, Gadget. Next season. :arr:

Reactions: avsfan09

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Screw the jets. They gave up after the first period and put it into neutral. I hope we destroy them on Saturday. Go flames and go sharks.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
That little losing streak while we were inside the wild card spot really killed us but man what a job these guys did. Proud to be a Yotes fan.

We need one guy that can score to go with what we have. Oh, and stay healthy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It should kill John MacLean too. Not 1 PP goal over that trip.

What was that stat they showed during the game last night? 1 PP goal in the last 22 opportunities or something like that? Ridiculous.
It's not all his fault. RT has to take some blame also, but the players are the ones that play the game. Our PP was one of the main reasons why me missed the playoffs.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I generally agree with that. The PP needs more talent. I'm not sure I trust MacLean to execute an improved PP unit though. The system we're using, whatever you want to call it, is absurd.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
RH has to let go of John MacLean. We need to start next season with a whole new power play system.

I agree. I try (mostly unsuccessfully) to avoid blaming coaches for players' shortcomings, but I have never seen a more obvious example of terrible coaching than whatever the hell John MacLean did with the power play this year. There's no way you can chalk up how desperately bad the PP is to bad puck luck - it's systemically bad. You can really tell that other teams' video coaches have easily figured it out, the way they defend us.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree. I try (mostly unsuccessfully) to avoid blaming coaches for players' shortcomings, but I have never seen a more obvious example of terrible coaching than whatever the hell John MacLean did with the power play this year. There's no way you can chalk up how desperately bad the PP is to bad puck luck - it's systemically bad. You can really tell that other teams' video coaches have easily figured it out, the way they defend us.
We are worse 5 on 5. That shouts lack of talent. If something is not working and you keep on putting the same players out there on the PP, you deserve what you get. I believe Chayka may have tried to address this problem during the year but couldn't find a dance partner.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If you look at the top PPs, they either move the puck really well (ala Tampa) have a superb triggerman (ala Caps) or the PP actually has players that move to create good scoring opportunities. Our team doesn't have a great triggerman, although Gally was supposed to be that guy...and 99% of the time we're stationary in the umbrella formation. Sometimes our winger will swap with OEL at the top, but most of the time, wingers come up and circle to receive the puck, then skate forward while attempting to either shoot or execute a cross ice pass, which almost always is never executed.

And since there is 'zero' movement, the D can set up in the diamond covering the wingers, the point and the man down low. A couple times this year we tried that high tip play and it worked several times, but then went completely away from that back to our stationary targets. The problem with the stationary targets is 2-fold. 1 - easy to defend because you always know where they're going to be. 2 - since we're stationary, it's harder to retrieve loose pucks as we've seen countless times. I'd rather see us employ a PP where there is lots of movement. Although I'm sure MacLean is running this PP because we lack talent, so we're dumbing it down.

I'd rather run something exotic and if they can't execute fine, at least they will look like they're trying to score, unlike the current version of the PP...the current version is just pathetic. I never get excited when we go on the PP because I know we suck so bad at it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Great post @ctwin22 .

What's funny is we have a defenseman who is great at QBing the power play and scoring from the top and a triggerman of some sorts, who both have been very successful on the PP in different schemes. I think you are spot on that the PP is way too stationary, it's easy to cover the triggerman and clog up space for the QB to do much with a shot when players arent active threats anywhere else. Oh and no one screens the damn goalie.

Reactions: Jakey53

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It is funny that we run the umbrella and most of the time that means you will have a guy sitting right in front of the goalie, but yet, our team is so full of pansies that we don't have anyone that wants to screen the goalie. It's the same 5on5 btw. It seems no one is willing to stand in the line of fire. That would be a top priority in the off-season to go get a body who not only is willing but proficient at screening the damn goalie and then let that guy teach players like Crouse & Fischer who should live in the crease.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It is funny that we run the umbrella and most of the time that means you will have a guy sitting right in front of the goalie, but yet, our team is so full of pansies that we don't have anyone that wants to screen the goalie. It's the same 5on5 btw. It seems no one is willing to stand in the line of fire. That would be a top priority in the off-season to go get a body who not only is willing but proficient at screening the damn goalie and then let that guy teach players like Crouse & Fischer who should live in the crease.
So why wasn't Crouse tried there? The coaches gave him 16 minutes. Fischer was on the PP for a considerable amount of time and didn't produce a point. Crouse progressed all season. Coaching mistake for sure. Why didn't Richardson get some PP time?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I agree Jakey. Richardson should never see the PP...and Crouse doesn't have good hands in tight...which is what you need in front of the goalie...frankly I'd put Garland in front of the net, he seemed to thrive there and he has hands.

But anyway, I'd still prefer a PP that has a lot of movement rather than stationary positions.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Guessing Richardson played PP just to get a face off win for a change. He should get off the ice after winning it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad