Scoreboard Watching and Wild Card Dreams (Game Over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm not going to post fancy charts or analysis. If you want to then please do. I just wanted a place to post random comments about this playoff race that we're miraculously a part of.

The teams that were ahead of us - Wild and Avs - both won tonight. Hawks lost today and we beat Canucks last night so those teams are a couple steps behind.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I'm wondering if catching Vegas and taking 3rd in the Pacific may be easier. Vegas hasn't been playing well at home of late. Could make game 81 in Vegas quite interesting.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm wondering if catching Vegas and taking 3rd in the Pacific may be easier. Vegas hasn't been playing well at home of late. Could make game 81 in Vegas quite interesting.
Either way, we're going to have to win a lot of games to get in. We have a favourable schedule so it could happen.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Sports Club Stats says we need to go 13-7-1 to have a greater than 50% chance. That would give us 88 pts. Currently, the 8 seed in the West is on pace for 85 pts.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Sports Club Stats says we need to go 13-7-1 to have a greater than 50% chance. That would give us 88 pts. Currently, the 8 seed in the West is on pace for 85 pts.
I think 88 points will get us in, not 85 or 83. Some team is going to step up and play well the rest of the way, might as well be us. It really could come own to the last 2 games with 4 or 5 teams still having a chance at a spot. Our schedule looks good in theory, but we also play poorly at home and the Canucks gave us all we wanted. I think our focus should always be: Lets win the next game and see what happens.

If our goal tending holds up and we get a few guys back, I could see us at 92 points. If our goal tending falls off or we play poorly, I could see us at 78 points. Its a big potential swing for all of these teams.

Reactions: SniperHF

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think 88 points will get us in, not 85 or 83. Some team is going to step up and play well the rest of the way, might as well be us. It really could come own to the last 2 games with 4 or 5 teams still having a chance at a spot. Our schedule looks good in theory, but we also play poorly at home and the Canucks gave us all we wanted. I think our focus should always be: Lets win the next game and see what happens.

If our goal tending holds up and we get a few guys back, I could see us at 92 points. If our goal tending falls off or we play poorly, I could see us at 78 points. Its a big potential swing for all of these teams.

To get to 92 we need to win 75% of remaining games. That's a tall order...for even the best team.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
I know this is an understatement, but this 7 game home stand is probably the most critical one the 'Yotes have had in a looooong time.

It is nice to be this nervous this late in the year. I think 5-2 is real possible, I was hoping for 3pts on the last road trip, we got 4, so I was ecstatic. GO 'YOTES!!!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
To get to 92 we need to win 75% of remaining games. That's a tall order...for even the best team.
Odds are slim. What I am saying is that there will be surprises with a few teams under performing and a few teams over performing. There is no clear cut favorite either way.

Reactions: MIG

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Another odd thing, I was thinking about how last season's surge in the new year felt bigger than this year's.
But it's actually not.
From Jan 1 to feb 24th last year we were .568 %
This year we're .575 %

But it doesn't really feel like that to me? Maybe it's because we don't have any truly standout lines. And no Raanta standing on his head.
Or maybe it's just because last year's team was SO much worse to start.

On the Raanta thing, Raanta was .935 sv % over that time. But Kuemper is no slouch at .922 which is 9th among those playing a starter's load.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Right now we’re 3 points out of the wildcard and only 6 points behind the third Pacific spot (Vegas) with a game in hand.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
We'll be getting Florida on a second night of a back to back come Tuesday. Hopefully they play Bobby Lou against Vegas and we get Reimer. We'll see who Florida has or doesn't have then.

Reactions: Mosby

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If my memory is correct we are above .500 for the first time this season.

Avs and Wild in a dead heat for the 8 spot. Still don't understand why Minnysoda would be sellers.

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
If my memory is correct we are above .500 for the first time this season.

Avs and Wild in a dead heat for the 8 spot. Still don't understand why Minnysoda would be sellers.
They’ve had so many years of being just good enough to make playoffs but they can never do anything. So what if you miss out this year, shake things up in hopes that next year you’ll see a difference.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
They’ve had so many years of being just good enough to make playoffs but they can never do anything. So what if you miss out this year, shake things up in hopes that next year you’ll see a difference.

It's a defeatist attitude to approach the playoffs this year based on the past. The reality is that they are the 8th place team in the West. The GM should do nothing that weakens the team. He may not be a big buyer, but certainly should not be a seller. If he trades away productive assets it disrespects the players that have been busting their ass trying to make the postseason.

Reactions: Kaizen

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
They’ll never get in contention as long as Parise and Suter are still there. Those contracts sucked when they were signed and they look like the worst contracts ever right now.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
They’ll never get in contention as long as Parise and Suter are still there. Those contracts sucked when they were signed and they look like the worst contracts ever right now.

You might be right about their contracts, but on ice performance does not appear to be an issue. Parise is having his best season since coming to the Wild, and Suter's numbers are in line with what he normally does.

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
You might be right about their contracts, but on ice performance does not appear to be an issue. Parise is having his best season since coming to the Wild, and Suter's numbers are in line with what he normally does.
Could also be the new GM just trying to make his make on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->