Science Background/Hello Thread?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Name-- John

Background-- BS/Biological Sciences MS/Virology and Neurobiology now working on my PhD in virology/Immunology in a top lab.

Why I love science-- What other job do you get to learn things no one else ever knew before every day?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
My science knowledge is completely influenced by what the media,in all mediums,reports and wants me to believe.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Never ventured into this forum before, but as a working scientist, I figured I should pop my head in.

Background: Genetics. I currently do research related to mouse and human genetics for a biotech/biopharmaceutical company. Developing genetically-modified mouse models of disease, learning more about possible drug targets, doing genetic screens - that sort of thing. I got my PhD in Developmental Genetics from Cornell.

As for why I love science - I've loved science ever since I was a kid immersed in sci fi books and TV. I love science because it is ever greater knowledge of how the world works that enables us to move human civilization forward into hopefully a better future. I love biology because what could be more interesting than the question of how we ourselves, and other life on earth, work? There's no more marvelously complex system in the universe, that we know of. Each of us is the product of billions of years of evolution and selection, and it is remarkable what that process has produced. I love genetics because to me it feels like the most fundamental level of biology - maybe the operating system on top of which everything else functions. I feel like the things we are able to know and do, and will soon be able to do, in human genetics will constitute a major revolution and not just in medicine, but in all aspects of human society. Biotechnology in the next half-century will have as big an impact (or bigger) on society as computer and information technology had in the last half-century. Lastly, I like working in industry because I like seeing the direct connection between knowledge generated in research labs, directly translating into the development of new medicines that really help people live better lives, and in some cases even save lives. It's gratifying work.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Just found this sick subforum I didn't know existed.

Name-- Andrew

Background-- BS in physics, currently a second year graduate student in physics at a solid and unremarkable state university. I'm just getting underway in experimental high energy research.

Why I love science-- for the ladies, obviously.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Name - Tom

Background - MS in Analytical Chemistry. I specialized in electrochemistry and I actually use that some of the time at work. I did take 6 additional classes in Material Science for a previous job that was half that and half chemistry.

Why I love science - I enjoy lab work and problem solving. Science is the perfect sphinx, you have to work to figure things out or find a resource.

My most recent assignment is a salt project. Salt as in Halite. I am trying to figure out what the customer wants because this is a very fundamental project. I have worked with deicing additives for airport use, but this one is plain old road salt; not even the blue Calcium Chloride Ice Melt.

I rarely come into this forum.

Reactions: PredsV82

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
===================
Name: John (another one)
Scientific Background: B.S. in Physics, with a minor in Astrophysics, all before Cosmic Inflation theory & the emergence of Superstring theory & the launch of the Hubble Space Telescope. Meanwhile, I opted to go for the money & started a continuing career in engineering which has kept me in touch via "applied science."
Why you like Science: Because it's cool beans!
===================

Reactions: adsfan and Gravity

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Name:
Tim

Scientific background:
None.
Grew up with a world renowned scientist, but I dropped out of college my senior year :( I took physics at a top 20 university, but it was 100 level.
Oh, I train engineers at a top microchip manufacturer, but I'm just a technician.

Why I love science:
I want to know where I am is the real answer.
I want us to better understand what the universe is.
I am frustrated by science and our ignorance.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Name: Michael

Background: I have a BS in both biology and chemistry. I did inorganic chemistry research for three years. And also have an MD

Why I love science: because it explains why the universe is the way it is and seeks to continue to improve on that knowledge.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Name- Jay
Background: - B.Sc Theoretical Physics/Cosmology, Research in Microfluidics
Why I like science: - the ability to understand and comprehend the marvelous beauty of nature.

member 157595

Name - Tyler

Background - Currently a junior working towards a B.S. in Meteorology/Atmospheric Sciences. On the route to grad school as of now.

Why I like science - Always been interesting to me, and I love having the answers, being able to understand and explain. Helps that I'm fairly good at it too :laugh:

Around 4 years have passed since you wrote this post, but I got a M.S. in Meteorology over a decade ago so I felt the need to respond to your post. I defended my Master's thesis around the time the economy tanked in 2009 though so no one was funding PhD's back then. I don't work in the field anymore but I wanted to see how you were doing.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Around 4 years have passed since you wrote this post, but I got a M.S. in Meteorology over a decade ago so I felt the need to respond to your post. I defended my Master's thesis around the time the economy tanked in 2009 though so no one was funding PhD's back then. I don't work in the field anymore but I wanted to see how you were doing.

I actually am now two years deep into a Ph.D. in climate science at a well-regarded school along the (very) southern Atlantic coast. Loving every minute. I think I missed most of the struggles related with that recession.

Reactions: OmniCube

member 157595

I actually am now two years deep into a Ph.D. in climate science at a well-regarded school along the (very) southern Atlantic coast. Loving every minute. I think I missed most of the struggles related with that recession.

I did my M.S. at a school in the Southeast, perhaps in the same state as you.
I then worked at a University afterwards...a University along the (very) southern Atlantic coast. ;)

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well if you two are in Florida check back in and let us know you dont have COVID. The date of your posts is just about when the Florida caseload began to explode

member 157595

Well if you two are in Florida check back in and let us know you dont have COVID. The date of your posts is just about when the Florida caseload began to explode

Fortunately, I left the state-that-shall-not-be-named a decade ago. While I definitely miss it at times I certainly as hell don't miss it right now. You couldn't pay me to go there at the moment.

Thanks for the concern though. :)

Reactions: PredsV82

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It has been about 2.5 years since I posted in this thread.

I barely remember that salt project. (The airport deicer project was more interesting to me.)

JMCx4, you sound like my brother, but he doesn't believe in String Theory. His background is in solid state physics. He did IR work for his MS. He used to visit Mt Lemon outside of Tucson and did some work on a NASA plane off the coast of California. He got out of Physics and Astronomy, then obtained a PE and was a Reliability Engineer.

He liked Janet Guthrie because she got out of Physics to become a race car driver. I saw a doc about her recently.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Jordan
BSc. Biology
Reverence for empiricism and the scientific method. Interest in bioethics, especially surrounding CRISP-R technology and human cloning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad