Science Background/Hello Thread?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Name: Teemu/Michael

Scientific background: Neuroscience. Although I am now in healthcare administration, I started in biomedicine. I mainly studied the biological pathways of addiction. I performed research for four universities, including the University of Chicago. I also won a small scholarship for my work investigating age-related differences in the way cocaine affects the brain. I also have an amateur interest in archaeology, particularly as it relates to the Levant.

Why I love science: I love learning.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

PSUCapsFan

Jan 8, 2010
Irvine, CA
Name: Gene

Scientific Background: BS in chemistry from Penn State, just started organic chem Ph.D program at UC Irvine.

Why you like Science: Always been curious about the world around me.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Name: Jon

Background: I have a DEC (which is something between high school and university) in Engineering Technologies which was basically a mix of electrical, mechanical and civil engineering at a pre-university level.

Why I love science: Because everything we now do is based off of scientific research, and I love applying it. I work in a field where we're always exploring new technologies and it's very interesting to see how certain technology is applied in real life.

FrizzleFry22

Apr 6, 2010
San Jose
Woh just noticed this Forum today. I had supported the movement !

Name: Joe

Background: Studying Computer Science considering Physics Minor.

Why I like Science:
Physics by far is the most interesting science to me. Always cool learning why things behave in a certain ways due to physics.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
great to have a forum like this, especially with no hockey:rant:

name: Voldemort (friends on boards call me "Volde")

Science background:Sickly child who wanted to be an astronaut, read lots of books... ended up with a BS in Biology(Chem minor) then MD, now a practicing otolaryngologist(Ear Nose Throat surgeon).

why I love science: science is basically The Rules of Life, The Universe, and Everything

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Background: Bachelor of Science in Psychology, planning to get my PhD. in Psychiatry. See if that ever happens.

Why I like science: Answers. The universe is a mystery.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Name: Conrad

Background: Studied computer science with a focus on AI at University of Toronto. This came with a lot of work in math, stats, and cognitive science as well. Now working as a software developer in New York, but I'm still toying with the idea of going back to college to do AI research.

Why I love science: It's badass.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
Background: B.Eng. in aerospace engineering, M.A.Sc. candidate in aeronautics. I am currently in the design stages of my graduate project in experimental aeronautics.

Interests: Rocketry, air-breathing engines, aerodynamics, wind energy, racing

Outside of my own work, I always have an eye on SCRAMJet research. I'd love to get into that one day. Seems like there is work to be done.

darksociety

Apr 6, 2011
Winnipeg
B.Sc Geological Sciences; I specialized in structural controls on Archean lode gold mineralization, but am interested in a broad range of topics including Precambrian tectonics, mass extinctions, emergence of life and paleoclimatology.

I am considering completing a B.Sc. in computer science as well.

My interest in science stems entirely from a curiousity about the natural world and how it developed into what we see today.

Danja

Oct 16, 2004
Los Angeles
Cool, didn't notice this thread before :)

Danja / Dan

BS in chemistry and biology (last year)

Currently in my first year of grad school for biophysics. I'm doing protein design/engineering.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
How did I only just find out about this forum?

name: Julian

background: BSc. in mathematics, UNBC; MS and PhD in Mathematics, University of Oregon. Specialization is broadly in functional analysis, specifically the classification theory of nuclear C*-algebras arising from minimal topological dynamical systems.

why I love science: Ever since I was a kid I've been fascinated with how the natural universe works. I originally wanted to be a physicist (and am still very interested in quantum physics), then discovered in college that I had more talent for mathematics. Although my own research is squarely in the pure math side of things, my field does have some tangential links with aspects of quantum mechanics and other topics in contemporary theoretical physics.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Name: Kevin

Background: Studied at UofT Pharmacology program from 2007-2012, graduated June 2012.

Career goal is to get a job in the pharmaceutical industry as a Quality Control or Quality Assurance Analyst. I am considering taking a college program at Seneca or Humber to better prepare myself in the workforce.

Why I like Science: I think it's fascinating and interesting.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Name: William

Background: Recently obtained BSc. in Chemistry with a minor in Math. Currently working on Master's in Chemistry.

Why I love science: There was never any choice.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Background: Two years of BSc. General to complete pre-reqs and now, I'm going into my first year of Pharmacy at University of Alberta. I've also thought about becoming a doctor (writing MCAT at the end of August), but damn, it's just so difficult in Canada. I'll try though. ;)

Why I love Science: Well, I like all fields of science because it's pretty interesting, but Physiology is really my main passion. I love knowing everything and anything about the body... it can be drug-receptor interactions (pharmacology), infectious diseases and their pathogenicity/virulence (micro/immunology), simply knowing how cellular processes work (cell bio), knowing mechanisms inside each orgran (anatomy/physiology)... I can go on and on, haha.

Simply put, Endocrinology and Infectious Diseases are my two favorite topics in all of Science.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Coming to the party late, but better late than never right?

Name: Derrick
Background: BSc in Computer Science
Why I like science: I just love learning how things work even if it takes you down to an atomic level.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
Name:Brandon
Scientific Background:B.S. in Chemical engineering, minor in materials minor in mathematics
Why you like Science:No room for bs or reliance on authority. Either it's true and can be verified independently, or it's simply not true.

Love the idea for this board. Far more likely to lurk than post, though. Since despite my degree I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to physics/chemistry.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Name: Steve

Background: Senior Mechanical Engineering student.

I've always had an interest for how the world works. I enjoy reading particle physics/astronomy on the side as well.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
Name: John

Science Background: Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (Delaware) 1984; PhD (UMass Amherst) 1989, publications, presentations and patents.

Why I love Science: Answers to scientific questions often lead to more complicated questions, which deepens the mystery of existence.

Just found out about the Science Board.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
Name: Dan
Scientific Background: Wildlife Biologist working in Southern Missouri
Why you like Science: How can you not like science? I've always had a fascination with the natural landscape and how plant and animal communities interact. After reading Aldo Leopolds "A Sand County Almanac" many moons ago, I dedicated my life to the powers of conservation.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Name: Jeff

Science background: Biology major at UCLA, premed; poster presentation on prostate cancer; clinical research in gastroenterology, radiation oncology, and general surgery, working on paper publications

Why I Love Science: Problem solving, being able to help others and myself; love to read; need it for MCAT

Favorite subjects in school are General Chemistry and Organic chemistry.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Name: Jeff

Science background: Biology major at UCLA, premed; poster presentation on prostate cancer; clinical research in gastroenterology, radiation oncology, and general surgery, working on paper publications

Why I Love Science: Problem solving, being able to help others and myself; love to read; need it for MCAT

Favorite subjects in school are General Chemistry and Organic chemistry.

Good luck jeff! That's quite a diverse set of research topics. Any idea what specialty you want to enter eventually?

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Good luck jeff! That's quite a diverse set of research topics. Any idea what specialty you want to enter eventually?

Thanks! I have been doing research for a while now and working with different doctors to better understand their specialty. I am most interested in Radiation oncology and surgical oncology but I have a lot of time before I make that decision.

Dog

Name: Mitchell
Scientific Background: Kinesiology student
Why you like Science: Curiosity. I like finding out how the body works and moves. The amount of processes that have to work together for "simple" everyday stuff is amazing.

My goal for after undergrad is Physiotherapy. But I would like to possibly pursue medical school in the future.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Name: Chris

Scientific Background: Biology - BA, Environmental Epidemiology - MPH, Cancer Epidemiology - PhD, Cancer Epidemiology - Postdoc, Oncology pharmacoepidemiology - Job

Why you like science: What more meaning can you get in life than investigating how it works and working towards solutions to fixing its problems?

I'm here to chat about biology, health, and therapeutics. I dabbled a little bit in undergrad in environmental science, as well!

Also, glad to be a 'mentor' of sorts for folks looking for advice in pursuing a scientific career.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Name - Tyler

Background - Currently a junior working towards a B.S. in Meteorology/Atmospheric Sciences. On the route to grad school as of now.

Why I like science - Always been interesting to me, and I love having the answers, being able to understand and explain. Helps that I'm fairly good at it too :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad