Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
That's a rough area. 800+ pages and the first book in a series so you expect it to take a little time, but no hooks at all that interest you yet?
The beginning is so generic. Village boy gets into trouble protecting his family. Gets thrown into a work camp/prison with his best bud who hates him now. They literally just escaped in the chapter I finished. 217 pages in before we get to explore a tiny bit of the world? Come on man!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Definitely true. I would reread each novel in order when the next one came out so I burned out around 6 or 7. I feel like it’s up to 13 now.

I did that with Robert Jordan. I started it when the second one was out, right before the third one came out. I must have read the first seven books of that series five times. I got to around nine or 10 and just left it, then he died, then I waited until Brandon finished it and started from the beginning to finish it all off. When I left for Thailand I was on eight, and the first couple of months, when I didn't have TV, I alternated watching 632 episodes of "One Piece" and finishing those books, which was excruciating.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The beginning is so generic. Village boy gets into trouble protecting his family. Gets thrown into a work camp/prison with his best bud who hates him now. They literally just escaped in the chapter I finished. 217 pages in before we get to explore a tiny bit of the world? Come on man!

I'm on page 227 of "Assassin's Apprentice" and they have left Buckkeep for about five seconds :naughty:

Reactions: Chinatown88

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I put the first one down after about 150 pages. I couldn't tolerate the writing any longer than that.

I really am the grinch of this ****ing thread. :facepalm:
Of the early books, the first is the weakest. It’s basically an extremely long prologue that sets up the rest of the series. The series peaks with the 2nd and 3rd books and the 4th is still a good story too. After that, don’t bother.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I'm on page 227 of "Assassin's Apprentice" and they have left Buckkeep for about five seconds :naughty:
I highly doubt they are related but, the magicians apprentice is another good series but it might be too generic for you all of higher tastes.
The first book in the series Necroscope by Brian Lumley is fan f***ing tastic. The rest get really weird.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
What do you think of the expanse? I honestly can’t tell if I enjoy it as a show or if it’s just something to watch. I’m eagerly awaiting the next season but I could not tell you if I enjoy it. I think it’s the main characters ever present smolder that makes me this way towards the show.
I like it! Holden is definitely pretty bland, but I think all the other characters are pretty interesting. I really like how everything started small and things snowballed and here we are now.

Amos is f***ing hilarious.

And Avasarala is somehow even funnier. I love me a dignitary with a potty mouth.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I did that with Robert Jordan. I started it when the second one was out, right before the third one came out. I must have read the first seven books of that series five times. I got to around nine or 10 and just left it, then he died, then I waited until Brandon finished it and started from the beginning to finish it all off. When I left for Thailand I was on eight, and the first couple of months, when I didn't have TV, I alternated watching 632 episodes of "One Piece" and finishing those books, which was excruciating.
I discovered the series when the 4th book had just come out so I read 1-4 in order, one right after the other and was hooked. I did re-read the entire series though right before the penultimate book came out. Given the pressure he was under, I thought Sanderson did a great job finishing the story up and getting it to Jordan’s ending.

It’s a shame Jordan died. I would of loved a series about Artur Hawkwing and age of heroes and/or Lews Therin Telamon and the breaking of the world.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I like it! Holden is definitely pretty bland, but I think all the other characters are pretty interesting. I really like how everything started small and things snowballed and here we are now.

Amos is ****ing hilarious.

And Avasarala is somehow even funnier. I love me a dignitary with a potty mouth.

Those two characters keep me watching. The mars marine I cannot stand. She’s like 87 pounds soaking wet. She’s not a believable character in the least bit.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Between my music, the Flyers, reading, watching tv and movies and playing with my dog, it’s a good thing I’m retired.

It’s also probably a miracle that my wife is still with me too. Even now, she just walked by, shaking her head and muttering something like: are you in that silly hockey room again???

She also can’t understand why I mutter “f***ing aardvark” so much nor can she understand why I keep wishing death for some guy named Michel.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I discovered the series when the 4th book had just come out so I read 1-4 in order, one right after the other and was hooked. I did re-read the entire series though right before the penultimate book came out. Given the pressure he was under, I thought Sanderson did a great job finishing the story up and getting it to Jordan’s ending.

It’s a shame Jordan died. I would of loved a series about Artur Hawkwing and age of heroes and/or Lews Therin Telamon and the breaking of the world.

Oh yeah, Sanderson did a great job of tying that up, which you would have thought was impossible. I'd actually like someone else to take the reins and tell those other stories. Jordan wrote women like he had never met or spoken to a woman once in his life, like he got his idea of them from watching 70s sitcoms and "Little House on the Prairie." I'm not talking about getting laid, I mean just normal interaction. It was pure cringe. Which is a shame, because there were so many tremendous ideas in there, especially the Forsaken and the Traveling (is that what it was called?)

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I’ve only read Patient Zero by Jonathan Mayberry, but he’s a damn descriptive writer. Dude holds a black belt(if not several) and I believe he served in the military, so his stuff is on point. It’s one of the few zombie novels out there that are actually good.
I’ve heard really good things from Bowie Ibarra but his stuff is out of print and I cannot find any. I’m a massive sucker for zombie anything.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Oh yeah, Sanderson did a great job of tying that up, which you would have thought was impossible. I'd actually like someone else to take the reins and tell those other stories. Jordan wrote women like he had never met or spoken to a woman once in his life, like he got his idea of them from watching 70s sitcoms and "Little House on the Prairie." I'm not talking about getting laid, I mean just normal interaction. It was pure cringe. Which is a shame, because there were so many tremendous ideas in there, especially the Forsaken and the Traveling (is that what it was called?)

Absolutely. That whole prologue featuring Telamon right after he has gone mad was captivating. I wanted more!

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
just saw the Witcher commercial..wasnt expecting much but that actually looks decent
Cavill stood up for the fans instead of dumping on them. Was hesitant to watch but I will watch it now.

If Disney is reading this board. Stop shitting on fans. Maybe the reason why your shit is doing bad is because they're written badly. Don't make up some bullshit and blame "toxic" fans. Look at the Sonic movie. They fixed it after the fans said Sonic looked terrible. That's how you win the fans over.

End of mini rant. Apologies. Getting sick of this shit from companies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I’ve only read Patient Zero by Jonathan Mayberry, but he’s a damn descriptive writer. Dude holds a black belt(if not several) and I believe he served in the military, so his stuff is on point. It’s one of the few zombie novels out there that are actually good.
I’ve heard really good things from Bowie Ibarra but his stuff is out of print and I cannot find any. I’m a massive sucker for zombie anything.

There is one called "Monster Island" that has a great premise - some guy in New York who teams up with a group of Somali high-school girls with machine guns - but it fell totally flat, unfortunately.

Reactions: BiggE

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
There is one called "Monster Island" that has a great premise - some guy in New York who teams up with a group of Somali high-school girls with machine guns - but it fell totally flat, unfortunately.
I enjoyed that series. I love the idea of zombies that retain some intelligence.
There’s a zombie and superhero mash up series that I’m waiting for the next one. Ex Heroes by Peter Clines. One of the heroes is invulnerable, flys, has super strength , is basically an amped up Superman but there’s so much going on he can’t be everywhere and Clines manages to write in a way to curb his power. It’s pretty good.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I enjoyed that series. I love the idea of zombies that retain some intelligence.
There’s a zombie and superhero mash up series that I’m waiting for the next one. Ex Heroes by Peter Clines. One of the heroes is invulnerable, flys, has super strength , is basically an amped up Superman but there’s so much going on he can’t be everywhere and Clines manages to write in a way to curb his power. It’s pretty good.

I put that one on my wishlist too, but I don't know if I'll ever get to it.

Reactions: Defect

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Between my music, the Flyers, reading, watching tv and movies and playing with my dog, it’s a good thing I’m retired.

It’s also probably a miracle that my wife is still with me too. Even now, she just walked by, shaking her head and muttering something like: are you in that silly hockey room again???

She also can’t understand why I mutter “****ing aardvark” so much nor can she understand why I keep wishing death for some guy named Michel.
That silly hockey room :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad