Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
frankly i hope not..i would prefer Mando to be his own thing and not need a little cameo by a guy that was on the screen in 2 movies for like 5 minutes..never understood the love for Fett

There's a really strange online following that developed from the Fett fandom. Fettlife, I think it's called?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
There's a really strange online following that developed from the Fett fandom. Fettlife, I think it's called?

tumblr_nxbcxkFQ9C1qj7cm1o2_500.gif

Reactions: Amorgus

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Definitely recommend The Witcher series by Andrzeg Sapkowski. It's the books that were the inspiration for The Witcher games and the upcoming Netflix show. Really really good stuff.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I don’t even know where to start. It’s like Cap made this thread for me. I’m currently watching through Battlestar Galactica for the first time. I’m just about to finish season 3.

I decided to watch it while waiting for new season of The Expanse to drop. I’ve got the books sitting on my kindle. I’ll read them one day.

Watching BSG made me want to replay the Mass Effect series, since the Geth/Quarian storyline is ripped basically directly it. (Side note: Tali is bae). I’m working on ME2 now. I just noticed that Captain Bailey is voiced by Colonel Tigh from BSG.

As far as stuff that has been referenced here, I’m ludicrously hyped for the Dune movie. The Dark Tower is a great series that I hated reading, some parts dragged on and on, others were heart touching as hell. I love the world of the Kingkiller Chronicles but absolutely hate the main character. And don’t give me that unreliable narrator crap. That doesn’t make him any less annoying.

Other stuff I like includes the Stormlight Archive (I really need to read more by Sanderson), the Old Man’s War series, The Runelord books, and anything written by Arthur C. Clarke.
What do you think of the expanse? I honestly can’t tell if I enjoy it as a show or if it’s just something to watch. I’m eagerly awaiting the next season but I could not tell you if I enjoy it. I think it’s the main characters ever present smolder that makes me this way towards the show.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Rothfuss is a nutjob on Twitter. I had to unfollow him.

He's too busy traveling the world playing D&D at conventions to write the damn third book.

For the record, I really, really enjoyed The Name of the Wind despite its flaws. Then I got to The Wise Man's Fear and quickly realized he had no idea where to go next or how to finish the story. Oh well.

trostol

Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Definitely recommend The Witcher series by Andrzeg Sapkowski. It's the books that were the inspiration for The Witcher games and the upcoming Netflix show. Really really good stuff.

only read Last Wish and that was fantastic..keep meaning to try and find the Metro series

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
He's too busy traveling the world playing D&D at conventions to write the damn third book.

For the record, I really, really enjoyed The Name of the Wind despite its flaws. Then I got to The Wise Man's Fear and quickly realized he had no idea where to go next or how to finish the story. Oh well.
His books were on the top of my to be read pile. But after seeing him spazz out and shit about readers pestering him about the third book I moved them to the bottom. I think he's an asshat.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
His books were on the top of my to be read pile. But after seeing him spazz out and **** about readers pestering him about the third book I moved them to the bottom. I think he's an asshat.

I didn't hear anything outside of the books, but I could tell that he was exactly like that by his protagonist, who is also an insufferable asshat. I guarantee you that ****ing Qvothe has a whiskey cellar somewhere.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Other Sci-fi/Fantasy authors I enjoy:

Robert Silverberg
Can’t go wrong with most of his stuff but the Majipoor works are just amazing

Arthur C Clarke
The master of hard, based on real science, science fiction

Spider Robinson
No mixes sci fi with humor better than this Canadian writer

Theodore Sturgeon
Sturgeon creates real characters with real emotions. Sounds simple, but it’s not. His stories are deep and insightful

And some of my fave TV shows
Star Trek DS9
The fact that it’s set on a station rather than a ship and the 3 season arc of the Dominion War sets it apart from all other trek shows

Battlestar Galactica (the remake)
The writing/acting combo in this show is just off the charts

Stranger Things
The writers of this show get what it was like to be a kid in the 80s and the story itself is a trip

And finally the world of film
The 1968 original, Planet of the Apes
It might seem a bit cheesy today, but it was cutting edge stuff in 1968. The film has some fantastic dialogue and the final scene is one of the all time greats

Silent Running
Bruce Dern at his best. A very cool, and very underrated film

SW: The Empire Strikes Back
Still, by far, the best Star Wars film ever made

The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Great acting and even better cinematography. These films captured the spirit of Tolkien’s world

trostol

Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
The black company, I’m drawing a blank by who, is really good. The sword of truth and vampire earth series are also favorites of mine.

Glen Cook...loved that series..would love to see someone attempt it on the small screen

another good series..least i thought was The Belgariad and Malloreon series by David Eddings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad