Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
FWIW, my 5 favorite SF/Fantasy book series:

1. Dune
The follow ups by Herbert’s kid are mediocre, but the original series, especially the first 4 books, are magnificent. Movies and TV have never come close to doing Dune justice, hopefully the upcoming films will finally get it right

i trust Villeneuve will get it right. he did a fantastic job with Blade Runner 2049. if anyone could do Dune right, i think he can.

Soup Enthusiast

Good Soup
Jan 25, 2016
The reason they wanted Baby Yoda was because they likely want to clone him. The doctor was from Kamino. They want to clone it likely to heal Palpatine or something like creating a force sensitive clone for some reason.

I could see Rey just being a clone or Snoke being a clone puppet. But more than likely it’s just to heal Palpatine but the Mandalorian will stop it.
the problem comes with cloning Force Sensitive individuals. if the lore from Force Unleashed means anything, it is nearly impossible as they all eventually go insane and suffer horrible mutations. there is a theory floating around that Baby Yoda is an accelerated clone of original Yoda.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
the problem comes with cloning Force Sensitive individuals. if the lore from Force Unleashed means anything, it is nearly impossible as they all eventually go insane and suffer horrible mutations. there is a theory floating around that Baby Yoda is an accelerated clone of original Yoda.

Horrible mutations, hmmmm who does that sound like?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I don’t even know where to start. It’s like Cap made this thread for me. I’m currently watching through Battlestar Galactica for the first time. I’m just about to finish season 3.

I decided to watch it while waiting for new season of The Expanse to drop. I’ve got the books sitting on my kindle. I’ll read them one day.

Watching BSG made me want to replay the Mass Effect series, since the Geth/Quarian storyline is ripped basically directly it. (Side note: Tali is bae). I’m working on ME2 now. I just noticed that Captain Bailey is voiced by Colonel Tigh from BSG.

As far as stuff that has been referenced here, I’m ludicrously hyped for the Dune movie. The Dark Tower is a great series that I hated reading, some parts dragged on and on, others were heart touching as hell. I love the world of the Kingkiller Chronicles but absolutely hate the main character. And don’t give me that unreliable narrator crap. That doesn’t make him any less annoying.

Other stuff I like includes the Stormlight Archive (I really need to read more by Sanderson), the Old Man’s War series, The Runelord books, and anything written by Arthur C. Clarke.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
I have a list of authors to check out, cobbled together from various culture websites and forums over the years, but I need to make some hard choices or I'm never going to make any headway. Just a few here:

- Are Lem and LeGuin still worth reading? Kim Stanley Robinson? William Gibson?

- Among the newer guys, Jeff VanderMeer?

- There's a lot of praise out there for NK Jemisin but I've scrolled her twitter feed in the past and found her to be utterly insufferable. Would be nice if her work didn't have that.

- I've had face-to-face recs for The Three-Body Problem and its series (Liu Cixin), so that's probably the one on-deck. Any experience reading or comments on quality of translation?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I read The Dispossessed by her and really enjoyed it.

William Gibson?

I’ve read Neuromancer at least twice and it’s f***ing weird. About all I remember is how it inspired cyberspace from the Hyperion Cantos (cant believe i forgot about it!).

Other books I forgot about include the Discworld stuff and The Hitchhikers Guide trilogy. Great books, all five of them.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
What's your thinking on whether that is Fett at the end of Mando Ep. 5

frankly i hope not..i would prefer Mando to be his own thing and not need a little cameo by a guy that was on the screen in 2 movies for like 5 minutes..never understood the love for Fett

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I love the world of the Kingkiller Chronicles but absolutely hate the main character. And don’t give me that unreliable narrator crap. That doesn’t make him any less annoying.

tumblr_ow7hhokqao1wv9nfpo1_400.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
yup..every friday is the new episode..people are already complaining about the series..seems some do not like the episodic nature of the series and would prefer some overarching story

I think it's cool. Another thing that is cool is the runtime of 30-40 minutes. Usually I would want it as long as possible, but these shorter ones are really working out. Now I have to leave until I watch Ep 5 (I thought they dropped on Sundays).

Reactions: trostol

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What's your thinking on whether that is Fett at the end of Mando Ep. 5

I think it’s probably him. Or another character wearing his armor, I forget what that characters name was who bought the armor from the Jawas. If that’s even canon anymore. Or it could be Cad Bane.

It’s not going to be Gus Fringe’s character because well they didn’t need to hide him. It’s not Mando going back like some people think because well, why hide him?

The spurs sound effect is pretty undeniable. Just seems like common sense with Mando landing on Tatooine. If it is Boba, it’ll be in the last episode as a cliffhanger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad