Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I was hoping for an unknown that they could dub over with ashleys voice like they did with ray park and peter serafinowicz/sam witwer

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I wouldn't go that far.

They're not good movies, they were poorly written and made, and there's lots to dislike.... but at least they were made by Lucas and it doesn't try to ruin the original movies.
It definitely SUCCEEDED in destroying the original movies. That's why I can't even care about the latest trilogy. The movies have been Weekend at Bernies-ing with the corpse of my childhood since The Phantom Menace came out.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It definitely SUCCEEDED in destroying the original movies. That's why I can't even care about the latest trilogy. The movies have been Weekend at Bernies-ing with the corpse of my childhood since The Phantom Menace came out.
I don’t see it that way.

It had some dumb origins/explanations of things that occurred in the original trilogy, but it didn’t completely make everything that happened in the originals meaningless, like the sequels did.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I don’t see it that way.

It had some dumb origins/explanations of things that occurred in the original trilogy, but it didn’t completely make everything that happened in the originals meaningless, like the sequels did.
I suppose you're right. The prequels destroyed the logic of the originals while the sequels destroyed the very spirit of them.

Reactions: Striiker

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I wouldn't go that far.

They're not good movies, they were poorly written and made, and there's lots to dislike.... but at least they were made by Lucas and it doesn't try to ruin the original movies.
They didn't "try" to ruin the original trilogy with VII-IX, either.

I-III were abominations, from taking away from the mysticism of the force to botching the hiding of the twins and the death of Padme.

I-III started with an known story that Anakin becomes Vader and a vague concept of how Vader gets injured to require the suit. The rest was Lucas giving fan service to himself and lining his pockets with gold. Nothing about the prequels enriches the series and the two items I referenced above actually harmed the lore of the original trilogy.

I am a Star Wars fan who will continue to watch any Star Wars content, but the prequels are straight trash.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They didn't "try" to ruin the original trilogy with VII-IX, either.

I-III were abominations, from taking away from the mysticism of the force to botching the hiding of the twins and the death of Padme.

I-III started with an known story that Anakin becomes Vader and a vague concept of how Vader gets injured to require the suit. The rest was Lucas giving fan service to himself and lining his pockets with gold. Nothing about the prequels enriches the series and the two items I referenced above actually harmed the lore of the original trilogy.

I am a Star Wars fan who will continue to watch any Star Wars content, but the prequels are straight trash.
I agree they were bad, but they didn't ruin the originals the way the Sequels did.
Providing a poor backstory > making the events of the original story pointless

Speaking of lining pockets, the sequels were an even bigger shameless cash grab than the prequels.

Again, both were bad and harmful, but the sequels did all the negative things the prequels did but to an even higher degree. I'm not defending the prequels at all and the sequels are better standalone movies. I'm only talking about how they affected the overall story.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree they were bad, but they didn't ruin the originals the way the Sequels did.
Providing a poor backstory > making the events of the original story pointless

Speaking of lining pockets, the sequels were an even bigger shameless cash grab than the prequels.

Again, both were bad and harmful, but the sequels did all the negative things the prequels did but to an even higher degree. I'm not defending the prequels at all and the sequels are better standalone movies. I'm only talking about how they affected the overall story.

I get what you're saying and I agree.

Reactions: Striiker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I always felt that Episode VII should have been about a smaller band of Siths trying to wreak havoc on the new peaceful society that was born from the events of the trilogy. A mysterious group of marauders that want to spark a resurgence of the Dark Side.

Kicking off Episode VII with the "First Order" who was basically just as evil and powerful as the Empire immediately negated the events of Episode IV-VI. That is really stupid.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I always felt that Episode VII should have been about a smaller band of Siths trying to wreak havoc on the new peaceful society that was born from the events of the trilogy. A mysterious group of marauders that want to spark a resurgence of the Dark Side.

Kicking off Episode VII with the "First Order" who was basically just as evil and powerful as the Empire immediately negated the events of Episode IV-VI. That is really stupid.
Oh hell yeah, that's similar to what had wanted to see back before the sequels came out.

I was hoping for VII to be about Luke leading a rebuilt Jedi Order and that new Orders struggles against a parallel group of Sith. Almost like a new version of the Old Republic stories.

And yeah, like you said, starting off with the First Order vs Rebels just immediately made it as if the entire original trilogy never happened. That's the issue with basically making "The Force Awakens" an "A New Hope" reboot... and then everything that came after was a f***ing mess. Just all of it, other than the visuals.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Oh hell yeah, that's similar to what had wanted to see back before the sequels came out.

I was hoping for VII to be about Luke leading a rebuilt Jedi Order and that new Orders struggles against a parallel group of Sith. Almost like a new version of the Old Republic stories.

And yeah, like you said, starting off with the First Order vs Rebels just immediately made it as if the entire original trilogy never happened. That's the issue with basically making "The Force Awakens" an "A New Hope" reboot... and then everything that came after was a f***ing mess. Just all of it, other than the visuals.

Yep. The only redeeming qualities other than visuals were the characters. I actually loved the new characters and the cast. The writers and directors are the f*** ups.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don’t see it that way.

The idea that the prequels are in any way less garbage-y than the sequels is crazy.

I actually loved the new characters and the cast. The writers and directors are the f*** ups.

But not as crazy as this. Woof City, Reb.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The idea that the prequels are in any way less garbage-y than the sequels is crazy.

As far as the story goes and how it impacts the originals, yeah, I definitely think the sequels did more damage.

As standalone movies, the sequels were better.

Yep. The only redeeming qualities other than visuals were the characters. I actually loved the new characters and the cast. The writers and directors are the f*** ups.
I thought the new characters were awful. The actors themselves are fine, but the material they had to work with was hopeless and I didn't like a single character. They were all somewhere between "meh" and "annoying".

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad