Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I'm trying to get back into reading for fun instead of reading for business only. I picked "The Wheel of Time" series because I saw a lot of people say it was good.

Did I make a good choice? Was going between that one and one of the ones from Brandon Sanderstrom or whatever his name is.
It's an investment for sure but it's my favorite ending of any series I've ever read. There's an intentional slog in the middle books around winter's heart put if you push through it pays off

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It's an investment for sure but it's my favorite ending of any series I've ever read. There's an intentional slog in the middle books around winter's heart put if you push through it pays off
Wheel of Time was your favourite ending? It was okay; pretty tough ask for Sanderson and he did a good enough job.

I loved the Malazan ending from the main series. That's probably my favourite, since it is generally the first thing I think of.

First Law trilogy had a pretty satisfying ending.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Wheel of Time was your favourite ending? It was okay; pretty tough ask for Sanderson and he did a good enough job.

I loved the Malazan ending from the main series. That's probably my favourite, since it is generally the first thing I think of.

First Law trilogy had a pretty satisfying ending.

For Malazan, you mean the end of the 10th book? I really liked that one too - exactly what I was hoping.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, is there actually anything in the main series beyond the 10th book? I stopped paying attention when it was just Esselmont writing side stories.

I don't know - I kind of felt like stopping at that point anyway, so I never looked into it further than that. I wanted to catch up on some other series I hadn't read yet - like I'm 11 books into Robin Hobb, and after her I am finally going to read the Black Company.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
For Malazan, you mean the end of the 10th book? I really liked that one too - exactly what I was hoping.

Yeah, is there actually anything in the main series beyond the 10th book? I stopped paying attention when it was just Esselmont writing side stories.

The Kharkanas Trilogy - Wikipedia

There's this prequel. Apparently it didn't do as well as he wanted. So he suggested to the publisher that he punt the last book down the line. Right now he's working on this:

Witness Trilogy

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I don't know - I kind of felt like stopping at that point anyway, so I never looked into it further than that. I wanted to catch up on some other series I hadn't read yet - like I'm 11 books into Robin Hobb, and after her I am finally going to read the Black Company.
I recently finished the newest black company stuff. The main series is great and the post ending novel is really cool. Word is there's one more in the works I'm excited for.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The next time someone is tempted to defend the prequels, even a little, remember this. This ****ing thing is called "Yaddle."

wctbsVX.jpg

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I read the first four of those before the fifth came out. I liked it, but I liked his "Night Angel" trilogy better, though it is a little trashy.
Coworker and I listened to the audiobook for the night angel trilogy this fall when we were working, I liked it but oh my God he cannot write women characters.

Did you get around to reading The Stormlight books yet?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Huh. I missed this. Jim Butcher is finally publishing a new Dresden Files book. I've liked the series, but it's been six years since the last one came out.

Reactions: trostol

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Coworker and I listened to the audiobook for the night angel trilogy this fall when we were working, I liked it but oh my God he cannot write women characters.

Did you get around to reading The Stormlight books yet?

No, not yet - I'm not in any hurry, since there are so many and so long to go. I'm super enthusiastic about them though.

Reactions: Chinatown88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->