Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I read the Goodreads blurb on that Scalzi series - it sounds cool, but I wonder how accessible the scientific aspects are to someone who has a five-year-old's grasp of science.

Pretty accessible. There's very little science of any sort - if you can grasp the technology of Star Wars, you'll have no issues.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Those two I liked and believed. It was Finn and Poe and the various minor characters - including whatever the name of Greg ****ing Grunberg's character was - that ruined the parts of this series that weren't already ruined by whatever that facsimile of horse racing was in the middle one. That said, it's more like "the characters are the problem I have with the trilogy" than "the trilogy sucked" - I ultimately didn't mind it THAT much and would watch again. As with all of them except Eps 4 and 5, I dearly wish we could cut out the bull**** parts and fill them in with something better.

I hadn't watched all of Ep 4 in ages until last night.

The Death Star Raid is easily one of the best segments in any of the films. And the music there, for me, is Williams' best work in the saga. The thing is intense and stands up really well.

So I'd seek to fill them with things like that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I hadn't watched all of Ep 4 in ages until last night.

The Death Star Raid is easily one of the best segments in any of the films. And the music there, for me, is Williams' best work in the saga. The thing is intense and stands up really well.

So I'd seek to fill them with things like that.

I, too, would also seek to fill them with such as well.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

Sinister Six is happening I guess, trying to figure out the Sony/MCU what can and can't happen will continue to make my brain hurt but seeing Cap's favorite actor there at the end pretty much confirms some type of crossover with the Sinister Six.

just watched it..looked good..may have to break out and actually go see it instead of waiting for streaming version...was gonna predict a Blade cameo in end credits but just remembered that's MCU and not sure Morbius is

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
just watched it..looked good..may have to break out and actually go see it instead of waiting for streaming version...was gonna predict a Blade cameo in end credits but just remembered that's MCU and not sure Morbius is

I wonder if they will re-start the Blade series. I don't know these characters at all, but the trailer looked OK. It's starring Jordan Catalano, which isn't bad, potentially.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
There was talks about rebooting blade and a petition to bring back snipes. I’m halfway on board with that. He was damn near perfect.
So as far as the sinister six, they must be going on a deeper roster than the standard or first or second revamps.
I have not seen far from home or venom yet but assuming morbius, venom, vulture, electro, mysterio make the cut, who else is left? Green goblin?

trostol

Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
they are rebooting Blade with Mahershala Ali as Blade..but it is in the MCU..where as Morbius is in whatever Sony has going on...so i mean there is a chance for the crossover..but i doubt it

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There was talks about rebooting blade and a petition to bring back snipes. I’m halfway on board with that. He was damn near perfect.
So as far as the sinister six, they must be going on a deeper roster than the standard or first or second revamps.
I have not seen far from home or venom yet but assuming morbius, venom, vulture, electro, mysterio make the cut, who else is left? Green goblin?

Snipes was great but he's all old now

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Blade is definitely being rebooted as its already been announced by Disney.

Mahershala Ali will be Blade there are rumors that Snipes could be brought in to play Dracula

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Blade is definitely being rebooted as its already been announced by Disney.

Mahershala Ali will be Blade there are rumors that Snipes could be brought in to play Dracula
I thought that was an unconfirmed pic, the timeline that is.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I enjoyed it but I’m calling a season two now. By drinking “Agathas” blood, he’s committing suicide and as he told Jonathan, it doesn’t work that way.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I'm trying to get back into reading for fun instead of reading for business only. I picked "The Wheel of Time" series because I saw a lot of people say it was good.

Did I make a good choice? Was going between that one and one of the ones from Brandon Sanderstrom or whatever his name is.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I'm trying to get back into reading for fun instead of reading for business only. I picked "The Wheel of Time" series because I saw a lot of people say it was good.

Did I make a good choice? Was going between that one and one of the ones from Brandon Sanderstrom or whatever his name is.

I have enjoyed it so far when I am able to commit to it. It's just with school and work, I can rarely read more than a chapter or two a week if I'm lucky, so the story has gotten tough to follow for me. I'll probably just leave it until I get a break.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

It totally depends on your tolerance for bad writing. He's fine in terms of description, but his characterization, especially of women, is laughable. The story is interesting for the most part, and some of his ideas would have been awesome in a better writer's hands. The good thing is that it's an easy series to read - it takes basically zero concentration - so if you are looking to get back into reading, it isn't the worst choice. A couple of other easy ones:

"A Spell For Chameleon" - Piers Anthony
"The Sword of Shannara" - Terry Brooks (This is a completely blatant ... well, it's not a rip-off of Tolkien, but it's like someone read Tolkien and saw Middle-Earth as the limits of fantasy's boundaries and wrote something that was more or less a Dungeon's & Dragons fever dream. I know that doesn't make any sense - it's easy to read, and the sequel, "The Elfstones of Shannara," is really easy and good if you can again tolerate some wishy-washy writing.)

Reactions: Flyersfan1493

trostol

Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
anyone watch Picard? I find it kind of...meh ..also i find the secondary characters way better than Picard himself

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

“High Republic.”

tenor.gif

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The recent trilogy has ruined Star Wars for a lot of people lol. You never know - this could turn out to be more "Rogue One" than "Last Jedi."

It also doesn't help that there was no one single vision when making the new trilogy. The fact that they wasted time to retcon shit from The Last Jedi showed how badly handled the new trilogy was.

This is why the Marvel movies worked for the most part. It followed a single vision towards one end or one goal for one or many of their characters. It made sure to keep things even and keep things neat and tidy when it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->