Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I remember hearing similar when he was still writing them.

After I finish this series, I'll finally dig into Dune. I started the book, then life got in the way. Of course, Scalzi will probably finish his Collapsing Empire series in the interim, so I'll make a detour for that...

I read the Goodreads blurb on that Scalzi series - it sounds cool, but I wonder how accessible the scientific aspects are to someone who has a five-year-old's grasp of science.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The best part of this trilogy is the relationships between the characters, AINEC.

The plots are often convoluted, redundant, rehashed, etc. but the characters really did work for me.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The best part of this trilogy is the relationships between the characters, AINEC.

The plots are often convoluted, redundant, rehashed, etc. but the characters really did work for me.

Yeah. The chemistry between them is real. Which is big. The same holds true for anything Trek related too. Both are basically "Friends In Space" as a genre.

On the Luke showdown, I think that's an underrated Luke moment based on what the TLJ and also ROS establish. When you're doing that kind of deep-dive into the Force there's a two way street there. Ben gets his hand wet in the rain, he and Rey actually physically touch, Rey gets soaked by the geyser even though she's physically elsewhere, etc. Earlier in TLJ Ben remarks that Rey can't be doing that projection thing because the strain would kill her. So there's that. Then when you account for that two-way street thingy where you can be physically impacted by what's on the other side, it's pretty possible that Luke himself is taking a pretty harsh pounding there. His projection is cool and collected. Meanwhile Luke himself is having a super bad time. But he keeps it together on the other end. That's what I didn't get the complaining that it was some massive ripoff that he didn't show up in person, because it was still badass while also showing he'd become a full-on Space Wizard. And I especially don't get why him opting out of truly fighting his nephew is out of character, what with his whole second Vader duel where he first tries to avoid actually fighting as much as he can, and then eventually tosses his lightsaber aside entirely and eats voltage.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah. The chemistry between them is real. Which is big. The same holds true for anything Trek related too. Both are basically "Friends In Space" as a genre.

On the Luke showdown, I think that's an underrated Luke moment based on what the TLJ and also ROS establish. When you're doing that kind of deep-dive into the Force there's a two way street there. Ben gets his hand wet in the rain, he and Rey actually physically touch, Rey gets soaked by the geyser even though she's physically elsewhere, etc. Earlier in TLJ Ben remarks that Rey can't be doing that projection thing because the strain would kill her. So there's that. Then when you account for that two-way street thingy where you can be physically impacted by what's on the other side, it's pretty possible that Luke himself is taking a pretty harsh pounding there. His projection is cool and collected. Meanwhile Luke himself is having a super bad time. But he keeps it together on the other end. That's what I didn't get the complaining that it was some massive ripoff that he didn't show up in person, because it was still badass while also showing he'd become a full-on Space Wizard. And I especially don't get why him opting out of truly fighting his nephew is out of character, what with his whole second Vader duel where he first tries to avoid actually fighting as much as he can, and then eventually tosses his lightsaber aside entirely and eats voltage.

I do like the Luke force projection scene better in hind sight after ROS.

Its also poetic that the force essentially killed Luke.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I wont go to bat for them with vim and vigor but I did find them likeable and their chemistry real..especially Rey and Kylo.

Those two I liked and believed. It was Finn and Poe and the various minor characters - including whatever the name of Greg ****ing Grunberg's character was - that ruined the parts of this series that weren't already ruined by whatever that facsimile of horse racing was in the middle one. That said, it's more like "the characters are the problem I have with the trilogy" than "the trilogy sucked" - I ultimately didn't mind it THAT much and would watch again. As with all of them except Eps 4 and 5, I dearly wish we could cut out the bull**** parts and fill them in with something better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Those two I liked and believed. It was Finn and Poe and the various minor characters - including whatever the name of Greg ****ing Grunberg's character was - that ruined the parts of this series that weren't already ruined by whatever that facsimile of horse racing was in the middle one. That said, it's more like "the characters are the problem I have with the trilogy" than "the trilogy sucked" - I ultimately didn't mind it THAT much and would watch again. As with all of them except Eps 4 and 5, I dearly wish we could cut out the bull**** parts and fill them in with something better.

I actually loved Finn and Poe in TFA but I dont think Rian Johnson knew what to do with them and their character arcs went off course in TLJ. They bounced back in ROS.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
@Magua

Watching someone play Blood and Wine DLC on twitch and got the feels when Geralt gets that letter from Yennefer about the quest for those mutations.

"Dearest.....[quest lore].....whatever you decide, please take exceedingly good care of yourself. Your Yen."

iim53v2a8vx21.jpg

Reactions: Magua
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->