Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's just unthinkable that you know you are going to do 3 movies....and don't pre-plan how those movies are going to go and entail.

I guess it's just further proof that just because you are a professional at something(like a hockey coach), means you know what you are doing.

Its also further proof of the amazing job Kevin Feige has done steering the MCU ship across 23 movies and counting.

Hopefully Star Wars is in good hands now with Filoni and Favreau involved.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
*The last skywalker end scene finishes, the camera cuts to a brand new, force sensitive, character who sits up from having a nightmare*
There’s your retcon.
Or start the next movie with Luke coming out of some kind of meditative state, suggesting that all those movies were a view of a possible future, and it causes him to change the whole interaction with him and Ben that turned him to the dark side and kicked that shit off.

Then have a new trilogy with Ben as the main character, but as a Jedi instead of Kylo Ren, since I think most people thought he was one of the only good parts of the entire disaster.

Point is, there’s a million ways to undo the damage they did.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
*The last skywalker end scene finishes, the camera cuts to a brand new, force sensitive, character who sits up from having a nightmare*
There’s your retcon.
cat-i-had-the-worst-dream-imgflip-com-i-wouldnt-put-55917291.png

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Would’ve been better than that ending. Holy shit what a kick to the balls.

Is there a show that didn't live up to its potential as much as GoT? Everything after the books end has its issues, but the last season is so bad that no one talks about the show at all anymore. I no longer care about any of the prequels that they may do.

I can't even re-read the books since I know they won't ever be finished.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Is there a show that didn't live up to its potential as much as GoT? Everything after the books end has its issues, but the last season is so bad that no one talks about the show at all anymore. I no longer care about any of the prequels that they may do.

I can't even re-read the books since I know they won't ever be finished.

Lost? We're talking about something that was like at or near the #1 rated show on TV in its prime and massively 'next-day talk about'

I think the biggest difference is GoT was more of a falling off a cliff and Lost was like sliding down a mountain.

Reactions: Amorgus

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
That greased up sax player is Tim Cappello and he's the man. Got to meet him at a show in 2019.
I probably mentioned this in another thread but an old friend and his wife got a Cameo birthday video from him recently. I know he was with us at least three times when we saw it in the theater out of possibly four.

I used to wonder how that girl put up with his crazy manchild antics back when we were in school but I learned years later that she's actually as much of a geek as he was but just hid it well. They may be the last high school soulmates on the planet.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I probably mentioned this in another thread but an old friend and his wife got a Cameo birthday video from him recently. I know he was with us at least three times when we saw it in the theater out of possibly four.

I used to wonder how that girl put up with his crazy manchild antics back when we were in school but I learned years later that she's actually as much of a geek as he was but just hid it well. They may be the last high school soulmates on the planet.
I met my wife in high school

Reactions: Amorgus

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

I started dating my fiancee in the 9th grade!

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Honestly one of my best friends married a girl he met senior year through us guys that would go off to Commercial Art in the afternoons at the county vocational school. She was from a rich family in another town while he was with us middle class schlubs. I can only think of one couple that were actually both in the same school with us that may still be married. Anyone else split up eventually.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Honestly one of my best friends married a girl he met senior year through us guys that would go off to Commercial Art in the afternoons at the county vocational school. She was from a rich family in another town while he was with us middle class schlubs. I can only think of one couple that were actually both in the same school with us that may still be married. Anyone else split up eventually.
I’d wager, unless you’re from a small town, that’s totally normal.
Some podunk town with one high school, marrying a sweetheart is probably the norm.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Yeah I've always lived in the suburbs if a midtier city so it's probably not normal for our area. If you can be in an actual city downtown in less than an hour I don't think I'd consider that to be podunk. On the edge of "the sticks" definitely but not full on podunk. The areas inbetween Buffalo and Rochester and then Rochester and Syracuse do have some little dirt towns where I could see existence not reaching outside their borders. I'm looking at YOU, Herkimer NY. One restaurant that closed at noon and a pack of publicly drinking elderly greasers menacing people outside the library.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I finished The Magicians (the show) and I found myself remarking about how the writing is genius (life is weird, I just got done betareading a fantasy novel as well) on multiple episodes. Whatever they are up to, takes awhile to pull you into the flow, but once it does, it's phenomenal and it somehow works.

Reactions: Flybynite

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Has anyone read any of the Red Rising books? I just ordered it on a whim because I heard someone talking about it.
I started the first one and put it down. I wasn't in the mood/it wasn't my style - something in between those two. I'd guess I'm an outlier, because a ton of people like it, and there wasn't anything obviously "bad" about it that I encountered.

I started the first book yesterday, I'm about halfway through now, and I'm really not enjoying it very much. It doesn't help that I typically don't enjoy books in first person, anyway, but it's just such a mishmash of so much things we've already seen elsewhere. Between Harry Potter, The Hunger Games/Battle Royale, Ender's Game, Divergent, or even older stuff like The White Mountains. So far there's been several twists and they were all pretty predictable, or at the very least not very surprising.

It's not awful, but it's just very blah. If it was a meal, it would be buttered noodles. Decent on it's own, but it's been done before. The prose is fine, I guess, although the author using the phrase "if 'a' is 'b', then 'x' is 'y" twice within about three chapters, just filling in different words for the variables. He also fell into the annoying habit of using capitalized in-universe lingo to show off how Cool and Unique his world is. Every person is assigned to a certain caste based on their birth and there is alllll sorts of eugenics going on there (similar to Brave New World, sort of), and every caste is assigned a Color. The Golds are the aristocrats and leaders, Tin serve as police, Obsidian are military, Red are the miners (and so blatantly Irish it's nearly offensive, what with their love of drinkin and dancin and singin, all they want to do is work hard and go home to their families, but they neglected and misled by the English Golds). You also have stuff like the Conquering when the colonies on the Moon rebelled and took control of the solar system. It's just so Old and Tired and I am very much Over It.

There's also a good bit of rape so far in the middle third, so that's fun. I'll probably finish it, but unless it gets drastically better over the last half, I won't bother reading the rest of the trilogy.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad