Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Behold the recently rediscovered 1991 Soviet TV production of the Lord of the Rings!

Peter Jackson, eat your heart out.

OH MY f***ING GOD

eIJsYe.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yesterday I watched that Netflix series "Shadow and Bone" - I hadn't heard or known anything about it beforehand. Here's what it is: it's "Hunger Games" with better world-building. That is not a compliment. It ended the season fairly well, but it's still way too WB Network (not to mention Hunger Games) to be considered "good." It earned a score of 1 out of 5 f***s given.

I also watched the movie "Assassin" on Prime yesterday. Holy shit. This was the slowest paced movie I have ever seen, and I have seen "L'Avventura" and Tarkovsky's "Stalker." Not that it was bad, exactly - the cinematography was just amazing - but the whole thing was ridiculously slow-paced. The characters kept taking long pauses the whole time. I'm not incapable of enjoying films with no pace - I love "L'Avventura" (but not "Stalker"), and I am a HUGE fan of the French New Wave, but this was just too uneventful. The very few fights were awesome, but extremely brief. The most pointless film I have ever seen is "Bullitt" - it's not close and it never will be - but this one was pretty pointless. Wasted the use of the gorgeous Shu Qi. 1 out of 5 f***s given, and that only for her and the camera work.

Reactions: Rebels57

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Yesterday I watched that Netflix series "Shadow and Bone" - I hadn't heard or known anything about it beforehand. Here's what it is: it's "Hunger Games" with better world-building. That is not a compliment. It ended the season fairly well, but it's still way too WB Network (not to mention Hunger Games) to be considered "good." It earned a score of 1 out of 5 f***s given.

I’m midway through episode 2 now. It’s just one giant stack of walking cliches.

I just got to the part where the general dude tested the main character and sent her off for training. Then all her guards are attacked and he randomly shows up at the last second to save her.

if she was in that much danger, why not go with her in the first place?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I’m midway through episode 2 now. It’s just one giant stack of walking cliches.

I just got to the part where the general dude tested the main character and sent her off for training. Then all her guards are attacked and he randomly shows up at the last second to save her.

if she was in that much danger, why not go with her in the first place?

The f***ing makeover stuff with that assistant or whatever she is was the most Hunger Gamesey thing about it, but the f***ing guy, Mal or whatever, just keeps getting injured and "on the brink of death" - over and over and over. F***ing stupid. And that Jasper. F***'s sake. You usually have to have the career of Jon Voight before they let you ham it up that bad. Blech. The more I think about it, the more I hate it.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The f***ing makeover stuff with that assistant or whatever she is was the most Hunger Gamesey thing about it, but the f***ing guy, Mal or whatever, just keeps getting injured and "on the brink of death" - over and over and over. F***ing stupid. And that Jasper. F***'s sake. You usually have to have the career of Jon Voight before they let you ham it up that bad. Blech. The more I think about it, the more I hate it.

Now I need to watch this so I can see what all of the spite is about lol

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Now I need to watch this so I can see what all of the spite is about lol

It wasn't as bad as I am making out - the thing is, I f***ing loathe "The Hunger Games" - I read all three of those books, and they are horse shit. One aspect of that is the WB Network teen shit, and this show had that, plus a lot of that typical terrible lazy stereotyped characterization that is in vogue at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad