Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes. Very much yes. It's on HBO Max with upped visuals.

Easily one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

From that list, Westworld being in there over X-Files is disgraceful.

Also, I didn't notice this. That is indeed a disgrace.

Season 1 of Westworld was pretty awesome and Season 2 was solid, but Season 3 was an absolute failure. Watched the entire thing and have no clue what happened.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

Season 1 of Westworld was pretty awesome and Season 2 was solid, but Season 3 was an absolute failure. Watched the entire thing and have no clue what happened.

Season 3 might of been one of the worst trainwrecks for a promising show that I can think of. S1 was slow but loved how it ended. Parts of S2 were good, but wow was S3 bad.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

When I left Thailand I think I had DL'ed every episode up to the halfway mark of the second season. I watched the first season, there was a gap, I was completely lost when I started the second season, and I have had no desire to finish it or catch up or even remember it exists. This show is a good case study in the importance of characters to any story. It takes an "Ex Machina" level to get me to care about f***ing machines, and even then they have to at least be hot.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Season 3 might of been one of the worst trainwrecks for a promising show that I can think of. S1 was slow but loved how it ended. Parts of S2 were good, but wow was S3 bad.

I have said this before, but the biggest and most jarring drop in quality I have ever seen was the season one finale of "Heroes." It wasn't brilliant or anything up to that point, but it was good, and that episode was pure liquid baby shit, and so was everything that followed. In close second is the finale of "Dexter," and then some distance away in third is the second season of "True Detective," which only is ranked that high because the first season was absolute perfection from start to finish and I will not engage with anyone who incorrectly believes there was anything wrong with the S1 finale.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Yes. Very much yes. It's on HBO Max with upped visuals.

Easily one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

From that list, Westworld being in there over X-Files is disgraceful.

Westworld has a great premise but such shoddy execution. It's a shame. Hollywood can't help itself.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Babylon 5 is good. I'm gonna re-watch it.

I have said this before, but the biggest and most jarring drop in quality I have ever seen was the season one finale of "Heroes." It wasn't brilliant or anything up to that point, but it was good, and that episode was pure liquid baby shit, and so was everything that followed. In close second is the finale of "Dexter,"

You may just be talking sci-fi, but this is the fantasy thread also. The last 3 episodes of GoT never happened to me.

and then some distance away in third is the second season of "True Detective," which only is ranked that high because the first season was absolute perfection from start to finish and I will not engage with anyone who incorrectly believes there was anything wrong with the S1 finale.

The women of the world thank you for not engaging them. ;)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

S3 had so much potential too and a huge budget. The writing was just a disaster. I quite literally had no idea what was ever happening at any point in time the entire season.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have said this before, but the biggest and most jarring drop in quality I have ever seen was the season one finale of "Heroes." It wasn't brilliant or anything up to that point, but it was good, and that episode was pure liquid baby shit, and so was everything that followed. In close second is the finale of "Dexter," and then some distance away in third is the second season of "True Detective," which only is ranked that high because the first season was absolute perfection from start to finish and I will not engage with anyone who incorrectly believes there was anything wrong with the S1 finale.

1st season of Heroes was pretty awesome. I can't remember the finale though so i'll take your word for it.

Dexter finale is punch a baby in the f***ing face bad.

True Detective S2 is what happenes when a showrunner gets a big head and doesn't bring in any help. He was completely overwelmed with the task of writing that 2nd season. He caught lightning in a bottle writing S1 on his own.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I’m not. They burned me already.
That said, I’ll watch it eventually.

I expect, like the deadwood movie, I won’t be too thrilled while watching it and immediately forget what happened during it.

It didn't help that the finale aired around the same time as the Breaking Bad finale.

Almost like Vince Gilligan was saying, "Psst, this is how you end a series."

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It didn't help that the finale aired around the same time as the Breaking Bad finale.

Almost like Vince Gilligan was saying, "Psst, this is how you end a series."
What finale? For deadwood? We’re they not separated by like 10 years?
Apparently only 2 years. Man time flys.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Problem with Westworld was it tried to add too many twists and turns for its own good which made it convoluted...trying to do many POV stories at once

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Problem with Westworld was it tried to add too many twists and turns for its own good which made it convoluted...trying to do many POV stories at once
I enjoyed the first two seasons immensely. The idea of the park was what kept me in the show. Season three I really enjoyed the tech behind it but man it went downhill

Reactions: trostol

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I was only really invested in Zahn McClarnon's and Shannon Woodward's characters after season 1. I didn't even bother with Season 3.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
When I left Thailand I think I had DL'ed every episode up to the halfway mark of the second season. I watched the first season, there was a gap, I was completely lost when I started the second season, and I have had no desire to finish it or catch up or even remember it exists. This show is a good case study in the importance of characters to any story. It takes an "Ex Machina" level to get me to care about f***ing machines, and even then they have to at least be hot.
you-pass-butter.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->