Schwartz is heading back to Prague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I assume he's going back to Sparta, but is he going to see much ice time there behind Briza and Popperle? Or will he be loaned out?

Not sure it's in his best interest to leave North America.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
The ticker said it was a 2-year deal with Sparta Prague.

I never heard reports about how he looked in Vancouver (I only saw him at the U20s...) did he play well?? Is this a suprise?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
He was a lot like Dan Cloutier when he was with the Giants. He had excellent raw goalie skills and great reflexes, but his mental game was nowhere near NHL ready. He'd always be caught out of position or miscommunicate with his defensemen.

I'm hearing that he's going back to Prague because of his girlfriend (who isn't 18 yet so can't come to NA) and general homesickness.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't think it's ever good when your teams star prospect goes back overseas for 2 years...not having a NHL CBA in place right now isn't an excuse either, as he could of course continue to play in the CHL and even be signed to play in the AHL if necessary.

i guess my question would be is there something legit behind this or is he just homesick/frustrated at not playing as well as he might have liked in the CHL?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Douggy said:
The ticker said it was a 2-year deal with Sparta Prague.

I never heard reports about how he looked in Vancouver (I only saw him at the U20s...) did he play well?? Is this a suprise?

He was not great with the Giants. He didn't make the difference like most people had anticipated when he decided to play hockey in the WHL. It's not a big loss for Vancouver, but with the WJC there next year, you'd think that would have made a decision to stay alot easier.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
kmad said:
I'm hearing that he's going back to Prague because of his girlfriend (who isn't 18 yet so can't come to NA) and general homesickness.
Nawww.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Levitate said:
i don't think it's ever good when your teams star prospect goes back overseas for 2 years...not having a NHL CBA in place right now isn't an excuse either, as he could of course continue to play in the CHL and even be signed to play in the AHL if necessary.

It really depends. It could be great, it could be disastrous and on so many different levels. It could be bad if Schwarz goes over there and doesn't get the playing time he would in North America and loses valuable development time. It could be bad if he does get the time and plays awesome and just decides that he doesn't have a need to come back to North America and continues being a star in the Czech League. But it could be awesome if he plays well there and really progresses and comes back in two years as a much stronger prospect.

It's much similar to Kiril Koltsov heading back to Europe.

Who knows how it's going to turn out. But it definitely does give a slight amount of concern for sure.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
The Giant's new goalie (Dustin Slade) is probably an improvement over Marek Schwarz at the CHL lever. Mark Schwarz is going to turn into a Roman Cechmanek clone. He makes great saves one minute and then lets in a horrible goal. He is one of the most frustrating goalies to watch (ever more than Cloutier).

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Hedberg16 said:
The Giant's new goalie (Dustin Slade) is probably an improvement over Marek Schwarz at the CHL lever. Mark Schwarz is going to turn into a Roman Cechmanek clone. He makes great saves one minute and then lets in a horrible goal. He is one of the most frustrating goalies to watch (ever more than Cloutier).
I thought that Schwarz was a solid technical goalie who played the butterfly? (The opposite of Cechmanek)

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I'm really surprised. I guess he was homesick. This could be great for him but it could also be pretty bad if he decides not to come back at all.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
While it's too early to say for sure, this pick might end biting the Blues in the arse. I think they were so shocked he was available, that they felt they had to take him, even though they had just traded for the ostensible "goalie of the future" in Jason Bacashihua. As a Blues fan, I would have rather seen that pick used on a top offensive talent, which the Blues are seriously lacking in the organization.

WC Handy*

I can't believe people are already labelling him a bust because of one mediocre season in the WHL. Funny how nobody has mentioned the bronze medal and being named the top goaltender at the WJC's.

The only reason he even came over last year was because the Blues all but forced him to. It was well known that he wasn't happy with the move. Who here would want to go half way across the world away from your family and friends to make less money?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
mackdogs said:
Enlighten us.
Just poking fun at the notion that he's going back home because he misses his girlfriend.

Who here would want to go half way across the world away from your family and friends to make less money?
Uhm, all European goaltenders do it in the AHL.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
I assume he's going back to Sparta, but is he going to see much ice time there behind Briza and Popperle? Or will he be loaned out?

Not sure it's in his best interest to leave North America.

Popperle was loaned to Vsetin, Duba to SaiPa.
New Sparta coach Sindel likes to play young players and in addition Briza is 41 year old so Schwarz should get enough playing time.
One of the main reason of his return is that Schwarz wants to play in men competition. Homesick is another thing. He wasn´t very excited coming over last season but that doesn´t mean he doesn´t want to play in NHL in the future.
From my standpoint, seeing how many very promising Czech prospects(and high draft picks) stagnate in their development in CHL or AHL lately, it could be better for him to stay in Europe for some time.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Dubnyk > Schwarz... ;)

It will be interesting to watch this develop. I personally feel it would be better for Schwarz's development to remain with Vancouver and get used to the North American game. Then again, you can't fault the kid if he is truly homesick.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He's had a bit of living in NA now. He'll probably go home, think about it for a year or two and come back more mature and better prepared. I don't think his heading home would worry me any where near as much as his eratic play. Both which are not positives, but also not substantial negatives (its only one year).

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Giants have known since the end of the season that he wasn't coming back, hence the move to pick up Dustin Slade.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
czechhockeyfan said:
From my standpoint, seeing how many very promising Czech prospects(and high draft picks) stagnate in their development in CHL or AHL lately, it could be better for him to stay in Europe for some time.
Such as........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad