Schremp's ability to buy into system/team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040427/chl_lon2-sun.html

"While no one would say it publicly, there was talk in the dressing room that the offensively gifted Schremp had a difficult time buying into the Knights' system and became somewhat of a liability."

"Norton wouldn't respond when asked if another trade would be sought."

Geez, you'd think he'd at least deny it. Sounds terrible to make no comment to that kind of question.

Obviously I've just picked out the negative comments but this thread is for anyone who's ever complained that there's no evidence of knocks against Schremp. Just something to take into consideration.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
It will be interesting to see who drafts Schremp based on need. Would a team like Minnesota, who is defensive to death, pick him up? Not sure about Schremp's defensive prowess. Obviously, the guy likes to score, but does he backcheck as well?

It may be a moot point as you look at the bottom 10 teams, and I'm not sure I wouls classify many of them as defensive minded (maybe Anaheim). Let the boy do what he knows how to do. Defence, as they say, will come later.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the title of this thread says it all: Schremp does appear to have some issues when he's isn't the main cog. Although going to the Knights has no doubt helped smooth out some of the rough spots of his overall game, he doesn't seem very happy. He still produced though, which makes Hunter's decision to virtually bench him in game 7 of London's series against Guelph somewhat puzzling. Whoever compared Schremp to Marc Savard might be spot on.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
It will be interesting to see who drafts Schremp based on need. Would a team like Minnesota, who is defensive to death, pick him up? Not sure about Schremp's defensive prowess. Obviously, the guy likes to score, but does he backcheck as well?

It may be a moot point as you look at the bottom 10 teams, and I'm not sure I wouls classify many of them as defensive minded (maybe Anaheim). Let the boy do what he knows how to do. Defence, as they say, will come later.

Well, they did pick up Patrick O'Sullivan, so it's safe to say they will take a flier on someone if he's sufficently talented enough. For all of the turmoil surrounding Schremp I just can't see him dropping that far, although I was wrong about O'Sullivan, so we'll just have to wait and see.

sensfan18

Nov 8, 2002
London/Ottawa
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I think the title of this thread says it: Schremp does appear to have some issues when he's isn't the main cog. Although going to the Knights has no doubt helped smooth out some of the rough spots of his overall game, he doesn't seem very happy. He still produced though, which makes Hunter's decision to virtually bench him in game 7 of London's series against Guelph somewhat puzzling. Whoever compared Schremp to Marc Savard might be spot on.

Hunter's decision is not that puzzling, he sits Schremp so his useless son (Dylan) can get even more ice-time. Has good of a job that Hunter has done, he still has some learning to do with regards to coaching, IMO.

There was questions about Robbie's character which I think can now be put to rest. When asked about the way the coach handled him lastnight (game 7) he responded as follows:

"It happens, I guess," he said. "To benefit the team, you've just got to take the blows and roll with it."

"Whatever makes the team win. If that's what Dale thinks will make us win . . . that's his job. I'll listen to him."

That was taken from the London Free Press and I must say it was very proffesional to handle it that way.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
sensfan18 said:
Hunter's decision is not that puzzling, he sits Schremp so his useless son (Dylan) can get even more ice-time. Has good of a job that Hunter has done, he still has some learning to do with regards to coaching, IMO.

There was questions about Robbie's character which I think can now be put to rest. When asked about the way the coach handled him lastnight (game 7) he responded as follows:

"It happens, I guess," he said. "To benefit the team, you've just got to take the blows and roll with it."

"Whatever makes the team win. If that's what Dale thinks will make us win . . . that's his job. I'll listen to him."

That was taken from the London Free Press and I must say it was very proffesional to handle it that way.

he said a similar thing to me after the game 6 WIN...i asked him "are you injured? i only heard your name on the power play" "nope, didn't get a single regular shift" and then i asked him if he was pissed and he said "hey, we're winning!"...and since im not the press i assume it wasnt just politically correct ******** and he really feels that way

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sensfan18 said:

I forgot about the family connection. You're right, it would be pretty unprofessional to sit a more talented player just so your kid plays more. Doesn't Dale have another kid on the team, Logan that's even more worthless?

sensfan18

Nov 8, 2002
London/Ottawa
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I forgot about the family connection. You're right, it would be pretty unprofessional to sit a more talented player just so your kid plays more. Doesn't Dale have another kid on the team, Logan that's even more worthless?
Nephew I think and yes he gets more ice-time than he deserves also, but at least he is not on the #1 line. But it is worse with Dylan, he plays the regular shift on the topline (with Perry and Sheppard) and is on the 1st PP unit when it is more than obvious to anyone watching that he does not deserve to be in either of those positions. To make it even worse the kid rarely back checks at all but yet is never punished for it. It would be fine for him to favor his son if he wasn't sitting one of the top youngsters in the CHL out at the exact same time.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
sensfan18 said:

Nevermind his son. He's not really that bad of a player. Don't get me wrong, he's no superstar. But the greater crime is that of the ice time he gives his nephew Logan Hunter, who IMO is one of the worst players in the entire OHL.

sensfan18

Nov 8, 2002
London/Ottawa
Visit site
Brock said:
Nevermind his son. He's not really that bad of a player. Don't get me wrong, he's no superstar. But the greater crime is that of the ice time he gives his nephew Logan Hunter, who IMO is one of the worst players in the entire OHL.

I can agree, but he has a bad attitude and does not backcheck at all (therefore there is no way in hell he should be on the #1 line). But yeah, Logan sucks also and you could very well be right about him being one of the worst in the entire OHL.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Dylan Hunter was in the capitals training camp and was absolutely horrible to watch and its was clear the only reason why he got a shot was b/c of his last name

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
BMWM3owner said:
Dylan Hunter was in the capitals training camp and was absolutely horrible to watch and its was clear the only reason why he got a shot was b/c of his last name
I wouldnt say he was horrible to watch...more like "what's he doing here?". The first few days of camp he was really overmatched by the other talent there (Gordon, Fehr, Eminger, Fussey, Werner, and Krestanovich) but of the lower end talent out there...he wasnt that bad. He looked a hell of a lot better than Lindolf and Olafson that's for sure. The last day he really started to pick it up...didnt do much of anything at Traverse City according to the reports I got but he did gradually get better there as well. Don't get me wrong...he's not that good...but he's not horrible.

Speaking of rookie camp....I still thank Tim Stapleton should get a deal!!! ;)

hockeydad15

May 1, 2004
JNRhockeyGURU said:
he said a similar thing to me after the game 6 WIN...i asked him "are you injured? i only heard your name on the power play" "nope, didn't get a single regular shift" and then i asked him if he was pissed and he said "hey, we're winning!"...and since im not the press i assume it wasnt just politically correct ******** and he really feels that way
i think robbie handled the whole ordeal very well. i'l sure he was very disappointed with his playing time in the series and never said a single word or made any actions that it bothered him, instead he played hard and kept his mouth shut. imo it was a real stupid coaching decision that didn't pan out and a real slap in the face to a kid whose in his draft year!!! for those who saw the prospect game, you saw the real rob schremp, if able to do so, the kid is unreal givin the chance!!! imo if the knights used schremp to his ability it would have been a whole different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->